The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-04-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
Wow that's some really nice playing.

You know how to play, you're not once of those kids who don't know what they're doing and slam their guitars like crazy. Your style is far from aggressive and as per Mike Dawes himself, he's barely touching the guitar... No matter what wood you choose for the top, you're not going to break the guitar by playing like this.

That being said I'd still go for spruce if I were you. It has nothing to do with stiffness, structural integrity, etc. Just based on that one clip of yours, for sound I think spruce would be the best match -- but don't let my opinion influence you...

Good luck with your build.
Wow, coming from you I'm really flattered! I was just admiring your YouTube Channel earlier this morning. And thank you for reassuring me that the tops I play will be structurally fine! Wouldn't want my dream guitar giving up on me.

Thanks!
Old 10-04-2014, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post
Hi Mau, here is an example of my playing --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNYd...qt5SoYPqMMnPfQ

And yes, I agree with you. I do see that I have been overthinking and lack a personal opinion. I'm just new to this guitar buying process and have my irrational fears which I'm learning to overcome. Apologies to anyone I have exasperated in the process.
Good playing. From watching that vid, spruce/walnut would be my choice as recommended by Lowden.

Also, Adirondack is not superior to Sitka. They are different and it's about finding the right one for you.
Old 10-04-2014, 07:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post
Hi Mau, here is an example of my playing --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNYd...qt5SoYPqMMnPfQ

And yes, I agree with you. I do see that I have been overthinking and lack a personal opinion. I'm just new to this guitar buying process and have my irrational fears which I'm learning to overcome. Apologies to anyone I have exasperated in the process.
You are very, very good.

Don't worry about structural integrity--guitars can handle a lot more than you'd think. Whatever Lowden makes you, play it in good health.
Old 10-13-2014, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewh2 View Post
Good playing. From watching that vid, spruce/walnut would be my choice as recommended by Lowden.

Also, Adirondack is not superior to Sitka. They are different and it's about finding the right one for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogthefrog View Post
You are very, very good.

Don't worry about structural integrity--guitars can handle a lot more than you'd think. Whatever Lowden makes you, play it in good health.
Thanks for the compliments guys ) Noted about the tone woods!
Old 12-07-2014, 07:20 PM

Hey guys, I would like to thank each and everyone for their input and patience with me regarding this topic. After having discussions with some members here, I've decided to go down the solo luthier route.

It will be an OM-R Swiss Moon Spruce top with Quilted Tree Mahogany back and sides by luthier Joel Michaud. Many of you probably have never heard of him but do check him out at www.michaudmade.com

I will definitely be doing a build thread once he commences the build in 2015 and I'll be posting the link here for any interested parties

Happy holidays!
Old 12-07-2014, 08:51 PM

Congratulations on choosing the custom built route. It's going to be great fun to watch for what you post here.

That's a very untraditional OM shape - I like it.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt View Post
Congratulations on choosing the custom built route. It's going to be great fun to watch for what you post here.

That's a very untraditional OM shape - I like it.
The OM shape on his website isn't EXACTLY like his current OM. The lower bout is the same but the upper bout isn't as pointed haha you should be able to see it soon enough when I post pictures of my build

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
40th anniversary lowden, cocobolo, cuban mahogany, fanned fret guitars, ziricote