The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-01-2015, 07:09 PM

Default Opinions/Experience with Martin SPJC-16RE ?

I sell a few guitars and what happens, yup, start gassing. Have a chance to buy this on line (yeah, I know) for $950 shipped. Good condition but a few finish chips on upper bout. Not looking for comments on whether to buy on line but about the guitar itself if it were structurally good, much appreciated-Wade
Old 01-04-2015, 04:30 PM

I didn't get one single comment so I'll throw it up here one more time, I know not a lot were produced and I researched them but nothing like hearing from someone whos played them, its a shot anyway
Old 01-05-2015, 12:17 PM

Many, including myself, have had excellent experiences with the late-90's run of SP16 Martins. I've owned several SP000-16Rs that have ranked among my favorite. I recently played an SPJ-16R at a local shop, and it was everything the 000's were, but bigger. Excellent aesthetic, great tone from the hybrid bracing, and rosewood quality that is rarely seen on that price point these days. I think 950, assuming no major damage, would be near theft.
Old 05-04-2019, 06:33 AM

(Hope it's okay to resurrect this thread as I haven't seen much on the SPJC-16 RE.)

I've been gigging one for a few years now - it's been a workhorse for me. I'm a fan of Martin jumbos because they seem a bit more balanced than dreads, and that's definitely the case with mine. Great sustain, sounds very rich when unplugged. Comfortable to play - more like a 0000 than a "jumbo".

It has the pickup control mounted on the side which isn't for everyone, but I love it for making quick adjustments onstage. Volume, mic-piezo blend, three-band EQ, phase, even a tuner - all in easy reach. Fishman system that works well. It's perfect for weekend performers and open-mic'ers because you can get a good sound quickly despite whatever you're plugged into.

It has some higher-ed appointments that are subtle but nice. 40-something style rosette and back stripe, snowflake fret markers, gold foil logo.

The only reason I don't keep playing mine is the neck - a 1 3/4", soft V shape that my hand doesn't like as much, especially after a couple of sets. Despite that, I used it for two years because it was such a great playing and sounding guitar. It's only because I found another similar model with a slimmer neck that I'm thinking about selling this one, but I'm still on the fence because I'm not likely to find another.
Old 02-20-2020, 04:31 PM

Default Owner of a Martin SPJC-16RE

I am 8 years retired from my career job. I decided to pursue my dream and now I currently play over 300 acoustic gigs per year. I purchased a 2005 Martin SPJC-16RE in January of 2006. According to Martin & Co., there had only been 242 produced at that time. My guitar only shows "Custom" inside along with the serial number. They would not tell me who requested the design. It is, by far, the best acoustic I've ever played on and it's hard to put it down and use anything else. I have other Martins but none compare to the SPJC-16RE in sound quality and playability. Sitka Spruce top with aging toner, East Indian Rosewood side and back, Spanish Cedar neck, Stripped Ebony fingerboard and bridge make this a special instrument. I receive many compliments on it's beauty and other musicians tell me it sounds awesome in performance from the audience perspective. My guitar has several cosmetic cracks, dings and dents but nothing to the extent where the sound is affected. I did have it professionally "set up" to adjust the action when I first purchased it but have never had to do redo it. It plays just like when I first had it done.
Old 02-20-2020, 04:56 PM
Charter Member

I've never played that guitar but I can tell that Martin's J body guitars are the best kept secret in the business. I have a Custom Shop J-17 that's a monster. I just love playing it.

I can advise you though not to over-pay. There is not much resale value for a J. Most people have never heard of them or they confuse them with the M body. These ain't nothing like an M. Mine's the kind of guitar that makes you want to play Bat Out of Hell, Bad to the Bone or Great Balls of Fire@!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
martin spjc-16re