The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-08-2018, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

Default Rainsong Model Question???

I'm downsizing and falling back in love with Rainsong guitars and wondering how does the CH-OM1000NS stack up against the H-OM1000N2???
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 08-08-2018 at 01:51 PM.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:12 AM

RP,

I sent you a Private Message, via the AGF's PM function.

Best regards,

Jim K
Old 08-08-2018, 12:26 PM

I would have to double check (no time today) but the CH series uses a fiberglass / carbon fiber composite for the back & sides, and a unidirectional CF top. The H (hybrid) series uses a similar FG / CF mixed composite for the back & sides, but a woven CF top. You could expect a somewhat clearer, crisper, more crystalline tone from the H-OM versus the warmer and woodier CH-OM. Putting it into wood terms, the H would be comparable to a spruce top and the CH would be more like a cedar top. The Classic series is all woven CF, and has the most projection and crystalline tone.

You will have to try them for yourself, as tone is such a personal experience and so hard to describe in words. Hope this helps.
Old 08-08-2018, 01:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
...You will have to try them for yourself, as tone is such a personal experience and so hard to describe in words...
Yeh, that's the hard part.....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 08-08-2018, 04:31 PM

I realize that opportunities to play composite guitars are quite limited, RP.

I like my Rainsong a lot, and I also like my Blackbird Lucky 13. I really like both Emerald X20's (6 and 12 string). The WS-1000 is a "do it all" guitar for me, from fingerpicking to bluegrass strumming, and plenty loud. I have one from 2001 with the older, slimmer N1 neck (no truss rod) and I like that, although the fuller N2 neck works fine for me too. The Emerald X20's are very warm and rich sounding, more like a mahogany guitar, and nothing beats the comfort of those curves and bevels. The X7 beats the CA Cargo on tone, scale length and looks. The larger Composite Acoustics guitars (Gx, Ox) are reputed to sound the most wood-like of the CF world, and I don't disagree with that based on limited test plays in stores.

Sure, the carbon fiber tone is different from my wood guitars, but it is quite nice on its own merit. The freedom from worry about humidity and (mostly)temperature is well worth any supposed "compromise" in tonal quality. And I don't feel that I lose anything tonally either - it's just different. You might also look into the Blackbird El Capitan. The ekoa material looks like mahogany and El Cap sounds very much like my Taylor GA's. Not cheap, but very nice, and still composite.

I would be hard pressed which one to rescue while escaping if the house caught fire. All I know is that none of the wooden guitars would make that cut. I always used to say it would be the Rainsong, but now I'm not so sure.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
I would have to double check (no time today) but the CH series uses a fiberglass / carbon fiber composite for the back & sides, and a unidirectional CF top. The H (hybrid) series uses a similar FG / CF mixed composite for the back & sides, but a woven CF top. You could expect a somewhat clearer, crisper, more crystalline tone from the H-OM versus the warmer and woodier CH-OM.
There is another more significant difference:

The CH uses the NS neck (short scale 12-fret)
The H uses the N2 neck (standard scale 14-fret)
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 08-08-2018, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
There is another more significant difference:

The CH uses the NS neck (short scale 12-fret)
The H uses the N2 neck (standard scale 14-fret)
That's true. But when I bought my CH-WS earlier this year, RainSong's policy was that any guitar model could be bought with either neck for the same price (with a longer wait for non-standard neck). Don't know if that is current policy. Hope so, that's a nice policy!

Last edited by JimCA; 08-08-2018 at 08:39 PM.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCA View Post
That's true. But when I bought my CH-WS earlier this year, RainSong's policy was that any guitar model could be bought with either neck for the same price (with a longer wait for non-standard neck). Don't know if that is current . Hope so, that's a nice policy!
Yes it is, especially considering that they also must move the placement of the bridge- also at no extra cost.

I love my RainSong
Old 08-09-2018, 07:24 PM

I purchased an H-OM earlier this year. The setup was unplayable BUT once I sanded the bridge saddle and adjusted the neck the guitar is awesome. I also picked up an Emerald X20 Opus. The X20 is about the same price but in my opinion a better guitar in every way.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 08-09-2018, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT55 View Post
I purchased an H-OM earlier this year. The setup was unplayable BUT once I sanded the bridge saddle and adjusted the neck the guitar is awesome. I also picked up an Emerald X20 Opus. The X20 is about the same price but in my opinion a better guitar in every way.
Funny - I bought a Rainsong Shorty (basically, the same as the current CH-OM) and, based on my experience with my 2010 X7 figure my next acoustic will be an X20. I bear no particular dislike towards wood, but the advantages of CF are just too compelling when it comes to acoustic guitars, from my perspective.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

I sat on the fence for a couple of weeks but was pulled off the fence by a 15% discount on Reverb last weekend. I'm now the happy owner of a Rainsong CH-OM1100NS. Seems like a great complement to my Rainsong H-DR1100N2....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 08-15-2018, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I sat on the fence for a couple of weeks but was pulled off the fence by a 15% discount on Reverb last weekend. I'm now the happy owner of a Rainsong CH-OM1100NS. Seems like a great complement to my Rainsong H-DR1100N2....
Congrats, love my CH-OM.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Congrats, RP. After Emerald's announcements (I was hoping for a new X10 that would sit between the X7 and X20, rather than the very interesting X10 that Alastair created), I was pulled off the fence by a 15% discount at Musicians Friend, and got my CH-OM last week. It is now with my tech for a setup (he'll change the strings to Retros at the same time). I'll post a NGD once I've had a chance to evaluate it when I get it back, and I look forward to your NGD post.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:56 PM

I love the satin finish on the CH series' back, sides, and neck (ESPECIALLY the neck), I find it to be much more comfortable than my all-gloss Shorty. I also prefer the NS neck, since it's a little less of a stretch out to the end of the neck, and the bridge placement is ideal.

As for the tonal difference between the H and CH series, it's really subjective. The biggest difference affecting tone is the unidirectional carbon top on the CH, versus the hybrid glass/carbon woven top on the H. The uni top is by far the most responsive and lively top, whereas the hybrid top is a little mellower. As most people have said, YMMV.

We'll all be interested in a review of the new guitar, and a comparison to your H-series guitar, once you get the CH-OM!
Old 08-16-2018, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

I bought both a CA GX and a Rainsong Smokey Hybrid at the same time knowing one of them would be leaving the house.......All though the GX looked the best to my eyes the tone and play ability of the Smokey won out over the GX because it fit my style of playing......I sold it on Ebay and I believe it might be still posted here for sale by the new owner.....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber