The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-14-2018, 08:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitaman View Post
Jason,
Your red X7 looks stunning yet understated and reserved with confidence. A fatal attraction, since someone who saw your pic. could not resist and just bought it.

Capt. Jjm,
Permission to board your ship since I missed the red one. I might have caused my own demise.
Yeah, I'm guessing any "in stock" of these new models will not last long, especially considering the wait if you order. For full disclosure, both of my Emeralds were purchased from "in stock" - the X7 (Opus) had just been completed, the X20 was from their Select Series - I bought it the same day I got the e-mail announcing that month's Select Series. And there lies the dilemma: if you order one, it is going to take a while... do you take the chance and wait, hoping they will make something for stock that will be just what you want, or do you plunk down your money and get something in the works??

When the X20 Select Series came up, I was in the "narrowing down stage" of what to order for a woody... I was wanting black back and sides with something along the lines of a cocobolo with just a bit of sap-wood. All the woodies I had seen on Emerald's site had colored back and sides... I questioned whether it was smart to order black, since that was the Opus color and this would be an Artisan/Custom. And then they made it... it was like they were reading my mind! BIG plus: it spared me a 4 month wait.

Who knows if they will be doing any more Select Series or what they will make for stock??

In the words of the philosopher Dirty Harry: "Do you feel lucky?"
Old 08-14-2018, 08:25 PM

I would... listen to the boss.

And yeah, the colors can be subtle in anything but direct lighting.

The X7 is black, the X20 red
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 08-14-2018, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Jason,
Where can I see more pictures of your x7. I would like to show them to my wife and order one with anthem SL upgrade. Since I would have to order one, do you have any upgrades or changes? I am happy with GPC 1.75 nut width.
I ordered mine stock, no pickup or alterations. The previously posted picture is the one I consider most like what I see here in the house, but here's one that shows the red a little more:

Old 08-15-2018, 12:10 PM

Can't believe how black it looks in AZ's picture, yet gorgeous with a little more light in Jason's. I will contact Kevin and see if they have any in the oven and bypass the long wait.

Thank you both and Methos for taking time to show me the pictures. I would love to have coco top(no sapwood) with red b/s or just red pop up in current stock. Cap, I could use your lucky mojo!!

Last edited by Gitaman; 08-16-2018 at 12:22 AM.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Can't believe how black it looks in Capt's picture, yet gorgeous with a little more light in Jason's.....
Yeah, this is what we were talking about when saying that the colors are much more subdued in person under most lighting conditions. Glad you got to see some real-world examples. Even though the guitar appears pretty dark most of the time, those color highlights are tasty when you get to see them, no matter which color it is. Good luck with your woody top substitution, or with anything that pops up without the wait.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:33 AM

Default Been there, done that.

Thank you, Earl!
I am keeping my fingers crossed and realized I am going through what most if not all of emerald owners have already gone through... many times.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

You got the color, plus you can still see the weave, I like that. I had a blue X7 and a red X20, not sure which I prefer....probably the red, but the blue was really nice too.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
You got the color, plus you can still see the weave, I like that. I had a blue X7 and a red X20, not sure which I prefer....probably the red, but the blue was really nice too.
Funny you mentioned the blue, John, I was looking at one yesterday and was trying to visualize how it would be under ambient light.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Funny you mentioned the blue, John, I was looking at one yesterday and was trying to visualize how it would be under ambient light.
Here's demo video I did with my daughter way back in 2015 of my first X20 which was a blue one. I start the video showing the guitar front and back and I'm standing near a large window with indirect light hitting it and you can see the blue. Then when I'm playing I'm standing back a bit so you can see how dark it gets when not in direct light.

Old 08-17-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Here's demo video I did with my daughter way back in 2015 of my first X20 which was a blue one. I start the video showing the guitar front and back and I'm standing near a large window with indirect light hitting it and you can see the blue. Then when I'm playing I'm standing back a bit so you can see how dark it gets when not in direct light.

Methos, you look like a friend of mine nicknamed Bean just cause he has some Mexican blood. Anyhow, I wish I could play like you just by owning an Emerald... Still pale in comparison to the beautiful voice of your daughter🎶

Must say it looks black with a hint of dark blue one in a while. Much cooler than the red!

Thanks, Methos!
Old 08-17-2018, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I wish I could play like you just by owning an Emerald... Still pale in comparison to the beautiful voice of your daughter🎶

Must say it looks black with a hint of dark blue one in a while. Much cooler than the red!

Thanks, Methos!
I couldn't play the guitar at all until I got the Emerald. Then, suddenly, I just COULD play! So, you see, if you buy an Emerald then you, too, will suddenly be able to play!
Old 08-17-2018, 01:56 PM

Quote:

Wow! What an amazing voice and nice playing as well. Love my Lefty X20
Old 08-17-2018, 03:04 PM

Quote:

Wow! Beautiful voice, performance, and guitar! I suspect that you two bring a lot of happiness to people.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:
I couldn't play the guitar at all until I got the Emerald. Then, suddenly, I just COULD play! So, you see, if you buy an Emerald then you, too, will suddenly be able to play!
Hmm... I think my Emerald may be malfunctioning...
Old 08-18-2018, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acwild View Post
Wow! Beautiful voice, performance, and guitar! I suspect that you two bring a lot of happiness to people.
That's my daughter who lives in NYC now. My duo us with my wife. But thanks anyway. We always try play when she comes home to visit.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Tags
martin gpc28e 2017, yamaha fg series1983