The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-31-2018, 12:36 AM

There are many types of 'classical' guitars. Go to YouTube and look up classical guitars. They will tell you everything you need to know before buying your first one.

Remember, you don't pick the guitar. the guitar picks you....
Old 08-07-2018, 04:18 PM

Antonio de Torres-Jurado lived in Spain from 1817-1892.He started building guitars in the 1850’s. Soon, all other guitars were made to be bery similar to his guitars - dimentions, bracing, and so on - the neck was 2.04 inches wide. Nylon strings were introduced in 1949. Some recently made classical guitars are the same dimentions as the Torres guitars, some have necks only 1.96 inches wide or less. Some have bodies with smaller dimentions. A few are made with longer or shorter scale lengths - most classical guitars have the part of the strings that vibrate 25.5 inches, a few shorter and 7/8, 3/4, or 1/2 sized models may exist, in addition to the ability to have an expensive custom-made guitar made with other dimentions or scale lengths. I don’t know why so many finger-style guitrists - at least the ones on youtube, keep insisting on playing steel-stringed models. The typical steel-stringed model has a neck 1-11/16 inches wide. Nylon strings are fatter than steel strings, they are under less tention. For technical reasons I don’t know yet, classical guitars have flat fretboards, steel-stringed models have radiused fretboards. If you wanted to just strum chords, a steel-stringed model would be fine. For fingerstyle/classical style and everything else, the classical has more space between the strings, the steel-stringed models should take more effore to play fingerstyle or classical styles because there is less space to fit your fingernails between the strings to pluc them.

I am not sure why so-called crossover models, with dimentions between what is typical for classical and steel stringed models, were invented. Crossover models may have nylon strings. I started with a steel stringed model when I didn’t know about guitars, and then switched to only playing a classical model. If this matters it is a Washburn classical that cost me $150 + $75 for the case. Perhaps sometime I will buy another guitar. I own both the classical and the steel stringed model I started with; I wouldn’t buy a so called crossover-nylon stringed model.

The reason for playing a classical is because there is more space between the strings, and it is better for classical/fingerstyle, and then the fact that the strings are nylon instead of steel is just incidental.

Last edited by Mikeleric; 08-07-2018 at 04:26 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical