The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-17-2020, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

Default Synthetic instruments in Reaper

Well, I got it to work. I did a melody in GuitarPro and exported it as a midi file and then in Reaper used two instrument plug-ins together, a flute and string ensemble. Here's a demo. I added a guitar track (me playing) also.

I had fun doing this. I'll have to experiment more with it.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 11-17-2020, 11:36 PM

Listened to your file. Good start down what can be a very addictive road!

I find it very hard to get realistic wind instrument sounds, but with bowed strings I can get at horse-shoes and hand-grenade close enough with with virtual instruments that let me use the various bowing and articulation techniques. Keyboard instruments are a real sweet spot for VIs: many of them sound quite real and it's a whole lot easier to store them on one's hard drive that the real thing!

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 11-18-2020, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
Keyboard instruments are a real sweet spot for VIs: many of them sound quite real and it's a whole lot easier to store them on one's hard drive that the real thing!
I'd say drums are also a good fit for VSTs--and even more convenient to have an entire drum and percussion kit "in the box". I did a "band" version of one of my songs, playing everything except the drums, which were programmed and used the Sennheiser DrumMic'a plugin. Electric guitar used Amplitube for an amp simulator. No drums, no amps, pretty handy when recording in a 10x10 room!

Old 11-18-2020, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

I'm going to shop around and see what other plug-ins I can find. I'm not spending too much though as its not something I would use that often. The ones I have now were free.

My SoundCloud page

Old 11-18-2020, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
I'd say drums are also a good fit for VSTs--and even more convenient to have an entire drum and percussion kit "in the box". I did a "band" version of one of my songs, playing everything except the drums, which were programmed and used the Sennheiser DrumMic'a plugin. Electric guitar used Amplitube for an amp simulator. No drums, no amps, pretty handy when recording in a 10x10 room!

Yes. How could I forget percussion is an instrument!

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 11-18-2020, 05:13 PM

Sounds great. I'd like to hear the flute/string ensemble come back in once the guitar part is established.

It's fairly easy to add a MIDI keyboard and use that as the source for flute/strings/softsynth etc. As a guitar player, it's pretty simple to pick out "guitar melodies" on a piano keyboard. Just a suggestion.

My Music (Guaranteed bagipe free!): https://soundcloud.com/derek_barlas
Old 11-18-2020, 08:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagpipe View Post
Sounds great. I'd like to hear the flute/string ensemble come back in once the guitar part is established.

It's fairly easy to add a MIDI keyboard and use that as the source for flute/strings/softsynth etc. As a guitar player, it's pretty simple to pick out "guitar melodies" on a piano keyboard. Just a suggestion.
Good idea! I can get one of those smaller ones that fit on a desk.

My SoundCloud page

Old 11-19-2020, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Good idea! I can get one of those smaller ones that fit on a desk.
Yes I agree with bagpipe, I was really wanting to hear the strings come back in on say the third guitar phrase.

If you're going to continue to experiment and use "Virtual Instruments" (BTW VI , is the more commonly used terminology).
Then I highly recommend a Midi Key Board as well , and I suggest the biggest (most number of physical keys ) that will fit in your location . If at all possible consider something in the 49 key range. The smaller 20 -ish keyboard certainly work, but you have to keep moving the octave bank selection to get any spread of dynamic frequency range. Which IMO inhibits creative flow while trying to play in the midi notes (which eventually is where you want to get to) even if like me you are a guitar player turned keyboard hack.

Also Personally I don't like using a key board on my studio desk top, because for one It's small (short length wise) and I think it's awkward, and I want my computer keyboard (or laptop computer) centered on my desk . So I suggest a metal keyboard stand that you place perpendicular to your desk (like in the picture below) that does not tie up much more room real estate. And lets you not have to keep moving the two

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 11-20-2020 at 08:06 AM.
Old 11-19-2020, 06:07 PM

We seem to have a lot in common Kev! I have a very similar setup - 49 note MIDI keyboard at a 90 degree angle to my desk.

Just curious what the coloured stickers on the keyboard are for? Memorizing certain chords?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Also Personally I don't like using a key board on my studio desk top, because for one It's small (short length wise) and I think it's awkward, and I want my computer keyboard (or laptop computer) centered on my desk . So I suggest a metal keyboard stand that you place perpendicular to your desk (like in the picture below) that does not tie up much more room real estate. And lets you not have to keep moving the two

My Music (Guaranteed bagipe free!): https://soundcloud.com/derek_barlas
Old 11-20-2020, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagpipe View Post
We seem to have a lot in common Kev! I have a very similar setup - 49 note MIDI keyboard at a 90 degree angle to my desk.

Just curious what the coloured stickers on the keyboard are for? Memorizing certain chords?
Yes I think the 90 is the best arrangement for midi input and simple workflow and logistics.

And yes exactly not being a fluent keyboard player (at all) they are a few of the more common chords that I play on guitar, so I can play (and practice playing ) in basic chord progressions for things like VI 's featuring complete string ensembles, or sting orchestras sections etc. as well many synths and pads sounds and such that might want chords ,
Also I found a great piano chord chart reference online, that I printed out with about 60 common chords or so .
3 pages that look like this

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 11-20-2020 at 09:26 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD