The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-23-2020, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

Default Zoom hn4 questions

To any of those out there that are using the zoom hn4 device I definitely have a few questions. If you consider yourself fairly comfortable with that unit these are relatively basic beginner questions. Was 158 pages to the manual depending on how you open it up it's a little bit daunting in this little device.
Old 11-23-2020, 04:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjFuzzyMcPickle View Post
To any of those out there that are using the zoom hn4 device I definitely have a few questions. If you consider yourself fairly comfortable with that unit these are relatively basic beginner questions. Was 158 pages to the manual depending on how you open it up it's a little bit daunting in this little device.
Hi DjFMcP
A bit more info on your intended use would be helpful for us to make suggestions. Zoom has small handheld recorders (beginning with H1n, H2n, H4n, H5, H6 & H8) with different target audiences.

Like any multi-capable device with menus buried for butto- access (via buttons and dials), the H4n is a capable unit that is beginning to show it's age because of current innovations which are being released via new Zoom models.

There are lots of layers to the H4n. Since it can record on it's own to a card, or can plug into a computer and record there, acting as an interface, that really encompasses not only dual usage, but dual sets of options and instructions (actually more than just 2 sets of instructions). Hence the 158 page manual.

Do you already own one, or are you just considering it?

Were I buying a serious portable all-in-one multi-track recorder today (I've had my H4n for a lot of years) I'd be buying the Zoom F6 (note the change of first letter) because it's a more capable field recorder (it's a professional field recorder) for portable recording, and is built for multiple XLR inputs, some mixing on the fly (I record internally and adjust and mix down later) without the worry of over or under driving volumes. And the F6 has more mounting, and battery options, and interface options with cameras, computers etc. The F series actually have the F1, F2, F4, F6 (newest) and F8 models. No built in mics or speakers, but better preamps and very diverse output options.

My H1n gets most frequent use as a point-n-shoot grab phrases or chord progressions to remember later than my H4n.

One of the most frustrating aspects of the H4n is it takes nearly 2 minutes to boot up when you first turn it on.

The H1n on the the other hand boots in 10 seconds. My H2n boots in 3 seconds…and is actually my favorite between the H1n, H2n, H4n. It's my go-to for "I need to record semi-serious music using the internal mics" in a hurry and quick-mix it for immediate use. I can throw it on a tripod, point it at a player and choose the recording pattern from the 4 built in. For portable use, I survive on the H1n (alway in my go bag) and H4n (for video interview dialogue or serious 2 track XLR recordings with studio mics). For vacations, I just carry the H1n and H2n.

My MOTU-M2 interface is now used with my MacBook Pro for multi-track recording, and my Zoom H1n is my little pocket musical idea and quick interviews buddy.

Hope this primes the pump without overloading the conversation with too many options.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 11-23-2020 at 05:36 PM.
Old 11-24-2020, 01:17 AM

Quote:
That's an odd way to ask for help, don't you think?
Old 11-24-2020, 08:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I own the upgrade - the Zoom H5 and use it for podcast recording. I can probably be helpful and I know what you mean about the manual and all the many menus! Fire away with questions

Steve
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 11-28-2020, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi DjFMcP

One of the most frustrating aspects of the H4n is it takes nearly 2 minutes to boot up when you first turn it on.

What size card does it have? Long boot times is usually to do with having a huge card that's much larger than a recording system needs. Mine has a 2GB card and boots nice and fast, certainly fast enough I don't notice it.
Old 12-05-2020, 09:18 AM

Default If Im spinning my wheels, please recommend

Hope it's appropriate to piggyback in this thread because my beginner questions concern the Zoom H4n Pro. Someone implied the H4n is almost obsolete, so Im hoping the H4n Pro is suitable for my needs--to record and post solo classical guitar mp3s on Soundcloud or Youtube. The bundled software included with the H4n Pro is a bunch of Steinberg products. Appears their DAW I downloaded is Cubase LE AI 10.5. (among other "production products" I have no idea what they do.) I am now close to just abandoning the Cubase LE in favor in favor of a simpler DAW y'all would recommend. Is Audacity still a thing? I recall it worked okay for me circa 2004 (on a different computer, different, easier OS). It appears the massive Cubase software now appearing on my laptop (2014 Satellite C55) either needs or "wants" Windows 10, and reportedly Win 8 no longer supported by Steinberg. I have Windows 8.1, but the Cubebase graphics, menus, etc. do display, at least. So, not sure whether it's going to (can) work if only I study hours of Steinberg tutorials.

When I insert a Zoom-recorded SD card with Cubase open, nothing seems to recognize the SD card except my computer soundcard, Window media player, storage directory, etc. Please recommend a DAW that will easily (intuitively maybe?) work on older OS, older hardware, with Zoom H4n Pro.
Thanks
Old 12-05-2020, 09:56 AM

Ah, reading other threads uplist, I see Audacity is still popular enough. I knew it was still around, but maybe something had become more recommended (easy and free) in previous decade.
Old 12-10-2020, 07:13 PM
Charter Member

First off to Larry as always a great overview and some good tips and pointers. And I realized that wasn't much of a question or a statement but more the two combined.

Obviously since I posted this I've figured some of the most basic functions. Still trying a few things obviously on my own. So here's a basic one for layer your anybody who use these type of microphones. If I'm just using it for primarily recording me noodling around just for my practice sessions just to hear some playback my own personal feedback is there a specific distance I should keep this thing from me if I'm playing acoustic?

I'm experimenting with having the mic in front of me one line coming out of my genzler amp into one of the channels, a whole separate mic line coming out of another amp and mixing playing around with some different flavors of amps.

I've figured out recording level adjustments, basics of file folder system. Just wondering what I need to know about mic placement with this in guitar distance or any tips techniques general stuff.

Thanks again Larry. If i have any specific things i might send you a question direct.
Old 12-11-2020, 07:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
So here's a basic one for layer your anybody who use these type of microphones. If I'm just using it for primarily recording me noodling around just for my practice sessions just to hear some playback my own personal feedback is there a specific distance I should keep this thing from me if I'm playing acoustic?

I'm experimenting with having the mic in front of me one line coming out of my genzler amp into one of the channels, a whole separate mic line coming out of another amp and mixing playing around with some different flavors of amps.

I've figured out recording level adjustments, basics of file folder system. Just wondering what I need to know about mic placement with this in guitar distance or any tips techniques general stuff.

Thanks again Larry. If i have any specific things i might send you a question direct.

Hi Fuzzy etc

I tend to run single mics and small field recorders on acoustic guitars about 12-14” inches level with the neck body joint…aimed directly at the neck/body joint.

It’s kind of a default ‘hard to beat or screw-up position’.

Closer than a foot and the risk of too much bass (proximity effect) sets in. So if your space is quiet, then I’d start with that.

Have fun with your projects!!

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-14-2020, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

Specific to the question about the daunting user manual: I have an H4n Pro and find it overly complicated to operate with the small wheel and buttons. So many clicks and wheel turns to move within the menus. It was my first shot at multi-track recording.

When the Spire Studio came out, after encouragement from my wife, I bought one. Oh my goodness, what a difference! The Spire is easy and intuitive to use; 8 tracks; a good built-in condenser mic. With an iPad, it is one click to move between effects and amps, tempo metronome, sound level check.

For full disclosure, I used Audacity with the H4n Pro to get more than 4 tracks. Not necessary with the Spire. While you certainly can download files from the Spire to a DAW, it isn't necessary... one click to mix down to an MP3 file.

Options.
Old 12-14-2020, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHS View Post
Hope it's appropriate to piggyback in this thread because my beginner questions concern the Zoom H4n Pro. Someone implied the H4n is almost obsolete, so Im hoping the H4n Pro is suitable for my needs--to record and post solo classical guitar mp3s on Soundcloud or Youtube. The bundled software included with the H4n Pro is a bunch of Steinberg products. Appears their DAW I downloaded is Cubase LE AI 10.5. (among other "production products" I have no idea what they do.) I am now close to just abandoning the Cubase LE in favor in favor of a simpler DAW y'all would recommend. Is Audacity still a thing? I recall it worked okay for me circa 2004 (on a different computer, different, easier OS). It appears the massive Cubase software now appearing on my laptop (2014 Satellite C55) either needs or "wants" Windows 10, and reportedly Win 8 no longer supported by Steinberg. I have Windows 8.1, but the Cubebase graphics, menus, etc. do display, at least. So, not sure whether it's going to (can) work if only I study hours of Steinberg tutorials.

When I insert a Zoom-recorded SD card with Cubase open, nothing seems to recognize the SD card except my computer soundcard, Window media player, storage directory, etc. Please recommend a DAW that will easily (intuitively maybe?) work on older OS, older hardware, with Zoom H4n Pro.
Thanks
Frank I have never used a Zoom or Cubase so take with a grain of salt
But in general
As for a DAW "not supported" does not mean "absolutely will not work" is simply means the company no longer offers its technical support . It may or may not work depending on a number of factors.... If you mean Cubase is launching and opening on your computer it may work ? Try it

BUT first are you using the Zoom as a Portable Remote recording device or are you using it as your at home recording devise ?

As for SD card:
In general what is on a recorded SD card is an audio file (BTW I would recommend always record in at least WAV 24 bit 48khz format ) as that is what you should directly upload to Youtube and SoundCloud

Also I don't use Windows but to my knowledge a DAW is not going to automatically recognize an SD card as a source file .The file (WAV,) has to first be loaded from the SD into the computer, and then imported from the computer into the DAW.
Often (with a full featured DAW) if you can get the WAV file to the desk top you can simply drag and drop it onto a track in the DAW Edit window, or sometimes just into the blank part of the edit window and it will automatically create it as a track.

Also if you are really only using the Zoom at home, if you use the USB out of the Zoom into your computer you can circumvent the SD altogether because (If Cubase is working) the Zoom should showup as an audio input devise selection option ,, for Cubase

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 12-14-2020 at 10:19 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD