The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 11-04-2020, 12:32 PM

Default Stringed instruments open up or rewakening?

Hello, I reworked two ukuleles this summer. One with a solid spruce top (soprano) and one with a solid mahogany top (a concert sized). Both are made in China with laminated sides and backs.
With both ukuleles I mainly lightened the bracing of the top. Thinning it and smoothing things out. Because they were rather over braced imho. I didn´t alter the thickness of the top.
The concerto had a rather thick epoxi lacquer all over it, so I scraped and polished it off then french polished it. Do you think they will ´open up´ when being played?
They are approximately four years old both of them.
Best regards

Last edited by Henning; 11-23-2020 at 02:39 PM.
Old 11-04-2020, 01:17 PM

Interesting, Henning!
How did you work on the bracings? Through the small soundhole?
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...
Old 11-23-2020, 02:11 PM

Default Rewakening?

I´ve reworked two mahogany Gretsch sopranos too, one from the 1940 and one from the 50s. Changed the top bracing and thinned the top rather much on the older. Will they develope or ´open up´?
What do you think?
They might have been sitting for decades and I havn´t done anything about the lacquer at all.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Tags
open_up, rework, ukulele