The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-23-2020, 07:37 PM

Default That Moment When You Found “The One”

My Taylor 814ce is the best guitar I’ve ever played. I bought it new in 2006 and have used it as my main guitar ever since. It just sounds so amazing after opening up for almost 15 years.

I haven’t been as impressed with the new Taylors I’ve recently tried in stores. They sound very trebley and thin compared to my 814ce.

Which acoustic guitar is “the one” for you?
Gibson G-45 Studio
Martin X1-DE
Washburn WP21SNS
Taylor 110
Mitchell D120
Old 11-23-2020, 07:41 PM

I have several “the ones“.
Old 11-23-2020, 07:43 PM
Charter Member

I found my "the one" mahogany this year, at least the one for now. I had started with an Eastman E10D-TC, then a Collings D1A, then a PreWar D, and then finally an Outlaw 17. It had all the power but deep bass and a lush sound, which is what I finally realized what I was looking for. Hopefully will find my rosewood version soon too!
Old 11-23-2020, 07:43 PM
Charter Member

got a d-18 thats pretty special but i'm still looking.
Old 11-23-2020, 07:52 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

My "the one" is actually two. My 16 year old Wingert E 12 fret and my 1 1/2 year old Kramer 14 fret. I loved the moment when I realized that there wasn't going to be "the one" and I actually liked the variety.

Best,
Jayne
Old 11-23-2020, 08:28 PM

Ahhh, the elusive unicorn. I have "the one" beater. A Loar LH-250 I picked up for a couple hundred as a b stock off of ebay 4 or 5 years ago. Fun guitar. I have zero interest in finding another "beater". Heck, I'll even do gigs with it occasionally. It exceeds every expectation I ever had for a $200 guitar.

Beyond that, I don't think "the one" exists for me. I have guitars I really like. My 1999 Lowden O25c, for instance. I can't imagine ever parting with it. And my humble Eastman E2-OM. I probably pick it up 4 or 5 times a day. But I can't say that either could be "the one" for me. Sometimes I play stuff I want a different sound or feel for.
Old 11-23-2020, 08:37 PM
AGF Sponsor

It's like food, isn't it?

To say that you only like one chef/restaurant (builder, brand) and one or two ingredients (tone woods) and will only ever enjoy one portion size (body size/shape)

...what fun would that be? Might work for a while, but might not work for a lifetime! Good for you if you're never hungry, though!

Nobody is going to force you to go to a new restaurant every week, but if that's your inclination, more power to you!

Acoustic Music Works
Guitars, Banjos, Mandolins & Good Company

A top dealer for Collings, Huss & Dalton, Kevin Kopp, Baleno Instruments, Eastman, Pisgah Banjos, OME and ODE Banjos, Northfield Mandolins, and more!

(412) 422-0710
www.acousticmusicworks.com

Friend us on Facebook!
Follow us on Twitter!
Check out our YouTube channel!
Old 11-23-2020, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
I have several “the ones“.
Beat me to it, all depends on the mood, and what I'm playing.
Old 11-23-2020, 09:41 PM

I have two:

'92 Gallagher 72 Special
2020 Martin D-28

I can play anything on "Sal", but she rings out especially well in alternate tunings. Jen, the Martin, is great in standard and dropped D. Neither sound anything alike, but complement the other quite well. I had to think about the Gallagher for a couple of weeks before I bought it, but it was, beyond a doubt, my best guitar decision. I've had it for almost twelve years, and the Martin for about two months. I'm especially pleased that both sound great with a capo. The Gallagher is clear, warm, and deeply resonant, but the Martin has a startling natural reverb, a woody bottom end and sweet, strong trebles I really enjoy. I've already played it enough that the honeymoon is over and married life has begun.

These are really the only two (within my budget) I've auditioned over the years that really pulled on my heart when I played them, whether at the musical store, or at home. And that's after a whole lot of trying out, playing a bit, and sadly putting potential instruments back on the rack. I'm looking forward to getting back out on the local circuit and with other players/songwriters when "The Vid" finally subsides and seeing how the lovely Jenny stacks up in front of a crowd and a mic. Wish I could play both at the same time, but hey, that's just how it goes!

... JT
Old 11-23-2020, 09:47 PM
Get off my lawn kid

The "One" is a moving target for me. Depending on my mood, I already have it. Other times its the next guitar on the horizon that will bring me to Nirvana.

I really think its all in my head from being exposed to the AGF.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 11-23-2020, 10:06 PM
Charter Member

Not sure I've found 'the one'. Not really sure it exists for me. That said, I did stumble onto something quite special almost a year ago. I wasn't in the market since I was very happy with the guitars I had. But they were all 'gigging' guitars, purchased specifically for their awesome plugged in tone but not the best pure acoustic only guitars. Still I was happy.

Then for giggles I was poking around Reverb looking at Martin 12-fret D-1 Authentic dreads, a guitar I thought would never work for me, when I saw this brand new Martin Custom Shop D-1 in all-flamed mahogany. I was already a big fan of all-hog guitars so that was something but the D-1 is huge and I was always of the opinion that I could not comfortably play a dread, let alone a 12-fret dread. Still... something just seemed to whisper in my head like in the Field Of Dreams movie... "Buy it and you will play and love it." So I took the gamble.

Upon getting the guitar and opening the case I was very pleased that it was even more beautiful than in the photos/video. The flamed mahogany was gorgeous and I'm a sucker for slotted headstocks. I had three primary concerns about this guitar: The long scale, the narrow string spacing (2 3/16" per the build sheet) and of course the large body size. Then I played it. Talk about love at first strum! Just a HUGE, big, bold and beautiful dry woody warmth that is classic all-mahogany tone but on steroids. Even my wife's eyes got wide when she first heard it strummed.

The mod V neck (my preferred) with PA taper (previously an unknown) is perfect for me. I installed my preferred strap buttons on the neck and bottom and I was pleasantly surprised to find that because it's a 12 fret guitar it 'hangs' farther back on my body and the long scale feels like a short scale! Bonus. After that the one thing left was the string spacing. Although it was reported to be a 2 3/16" string spacing in the documentation, it did not feel that tight. It felt like my much preferred 2 1/4". A quick measurement confirmed that the spacing is indeed 2 1/4"! Combined with my (also) preferred 1 3/4" nut and we're in business.

2020 was supposed to be a heavier gigging year for us and my Cole Clark guitars were ready to go. The Martin would be a nice guitar for playing at home. And then the pandemic hit and all gigs were cancelled. I started the AGF Open Mic group and picked up an ETL Edwina mic and the Martin is the go-to guitar for our live acoustic streaming acoustic duo and open mic sessions. Go figure.

So listening to that little voice in my head paid off. Although I've owned probably 10-12 Martins over the years, this was my first brand new one. It still brings a smile to my face when I see it hanging on the wall and even more so when I strum it. Is it "The One"? Who knows? I still can't believe I'm playing a 12-fret dread let alone smitten as a kitten with it. But it's certainly one of my all-time favorite guitars and if I had to go down to just one, I'd keep that one over all others.

And here's what 12 fret all-hog dread joy looks like:

Old 11-23-2020, 11:11 PM

Steve Swan tempted me for a year.

It was painful and someone was hurt.

Hearts were broken and tears were shed.

The memories faded from color to black and white.

I thought it was the One.
Old 11-24-2020, 12:51 AM

Well, she was the sister of a guy I knew.

She's still the one after 30+ years and I couldn't replace her.
Old 11-24-2020, 01:12 AM

For me it’s my D28.
There’s nothing it can’t do.

20 years back i started my quest trying to find a keeper (and i still do). I’ve owned Martins like HD-28, HD-35, GPCPA3, D-18, Guilds, Taylors, Gibsons you name it. All are gone and the search is on-going. But some time back i realized that the keeper has been there all the time.

It projects like a beast with great balance and packes with that Martin sound.
It’s 19 years old and it just keeps getting better by the day.
Old 11-24-2020, 01:15 AM

Smile The Three!

I don’t actually have “the one” but three of “the one”....which makes it “the three”!

They are the 00-15m, the FS5 and the Faith. Newest to oldest.
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion