The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2020, 10:37 AM

I have not heard anyone talk badly about H&D. The only downside I have read about is relatively low resale value (if you buy new and need to sell it later)...which is an added upside if you buy used.

I liked the couple I have heard/played. I have not bought one (yet).

As others have said...buy what you like.
Old 09-25-2020, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
Huss & Daltons are FANTASTIC guitars! Do they sound better than Collings and Bourgeois? To me, no! To you, yes! It's all a matter of what we individually like. I've been at some festivals and know several people who think their guitar is the stuff and can't be beat and to me, it's just so-so! I'd take a H&D in a heartbeat if I found one that called out to me and the same goes for Collings. So far, Dana has the look, feel and tone I prefer.
Im on the same boat as Tnfiddler here, Im a Martin fan, so they set the tonal bar for me. I have played a few different H&D guitars. Never found one I liked enough to play it more than about three minutes. I also have been disappointed with Froggy Bottom guitars and those get a lot of love too. Too bad I always think, because they are very easy on the eyes.
But I’m also grateful that I don’t love every guitar I play because I have poor impulse control and would otherwise have a lot more guitars and a lot less money...
Old 09-25-2020, 10:59 AM

Can't speak for all H&Ds but just before we got locked down, I got to kill some time after dropping a guitar off for repair by playing a couple of Huss & Daltons, a brace of Martin D-41s, a Gibson CS J45 and an assortment of offerings from Santa Cruz and Bourgeois. The only guitar I would have walked out with that day was a certain Huss & Dalton. I do not even recall what model it was as I was not paying that much attention. My wife who still gigs with two bands, walked away thinking the same thing. I, however, later ended up buying a Fairbanks.
Old 09-25-2020, 11:11 AM

I own a wonderful H&D Custom TOM-M (Italian top, short scale) and if you read any of my other posts on the subject you'll see that I'm a huge H&D fanboy.

I owned a Collings OM2HG and played many Santa Cruzes and Martins (still own one Martin) (though have not had the pleasure of playing Bourgeois yet).

For me the H&D was the one.

BUT I can't say that it is objectively better than the others.

That Collings I owned was an awesome guitar and in someone else's hands would be ideal. A Martin OM-28 with a torrified Sitka top is also a superb instrument to my ear, as is the Santa Cruz OM/PW.

The H&D spoke to me, not just tonally but neck shape and string spacing. BUT, the others would no doubt speak to other players.

I think we live in amazing times that so many fantastic guitar options are only a few clicks (and a few thousand dollars) away from anyone.
Old 09-25-2020, 11:25 AM

They're right up there, but I wouldn't call any of these builders better than the other. It all boils down to personal preference and at this level of quality, we're splitting hairs.

That being said, the Adi/Madi Huss and Dalton Pilgrim is among one of the best dreads I've ever played. Their OMs are among the best I've played as well. I have played a few Huss and Daltons that were great guitars, but didn't make the cut. It comes down to the individual guitars and personal preference.
Old 09-25-2020, 11:40 AM

I own two Huss and Dalton guitars, a cocobolo/adi slope dread and a cocobolo/adi dread. They are wonderful guitars. Truly exceptional guitars of their types for what and how I play.

I own five Collings guitars.

The best guitars are just different--different feels, tones, and particularly different fits for different players. And because I am remarkably fortunate to be able to have a range of guitars, I'm able to enjoy the differences.

I also have a great Martin I played for hours yesterday.
Old 09-25-2020, 11:41 AM

I`ve played Collings and Bourgeois OM`s..I personally preferred the Bourgeois.
Given the choice though I`d take a Martin OM28V over both(and pocket the change).I`ve not had the opportunity to play a H&D guitar,I hope I get the chance to.
Old 09-25-2020, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

LoveWins... welcome to the AGF. I'm delighted you enjoy H&Ds... they are indeed outstanding guitars. Play whatever suits you the best and all the rest of us will do the same.
Old 09-25-2020, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff_the_stiff View Post
Im on the same boat as Tnfiddler here, Im a Martin fan, so they set the tonal bar for me. I have played a few different H&D guitars. Never found one I liked enough to play it more than about three minutes. I also have been disappointed with Froggy Bottom guitars and those get a lot of love too. Too bad I always think, because they are very easy on the eyes.
But I’m also grateful that I don’t love every guitar I play because I have poor impulse control and would otherwise have a lot more guitars and a lot less money...
Being disappointed with someone else’s Froggy you take a spin on might not be accurate if you ever want to consider them again as an option. Keep in mind that Froggy’s are all built to order and buying one usually includes a lengthy discussion with Michael Millard on what you want from the guitar. So if you pick up a Froggy just to sample, you could be hearing to a degree what the original owner wanted from the guitar. If you like a darker sounding dread, you may play a Froggy where the player who ordered it wanted a brighter sounding dread and that is what they built. It’s cool that they can do that (check out Michael Bashkin’s interview with Michael Millard on the Luthier on Luthier podcast for insight into that process).

Brands like Collings and H&D have a different business model (as does Martin). You get the benefit of more time spent on the details of voicing the guitar compared to the big three but there is not that individual interview with the builder you get with Froggy and the higher end small luthiers. I’ve loved the Collings guitars I have owned and currently own. Would like the opportunity to try some H&D’s. I’ve really enjoyed playing some Martin OM’s and 000’s in some local shops also, they are awesome guitars.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 09-25-2020, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
I've owned guitars from what I consider the big four boutique builders...Santa Cruz, Collings, Huss & Dalton, & Bourgeois. I think H&D's build quality and voicing is on par with the others. They're all different. Not sure any one of them is particularly "better" than the other but it seems that H&D doesn't get talked about quite as much. Not sure why? They certainly build some fantastic guitars. Especially their Traditional models.
This is it in a nutshell - each of these small builders make outstanding quality instruments, each with their own unique flavor. They might be cooking up the same dish, but each adds their own blend of herbs & spices to give them enough variety to appeal to different taste buds.

I have had the pleasure of playing many examples of the big four as noted above, and you would be hard pressed to find much quality variance between the group as far as attention to detail, fit, and finish! I have owned both Collings and Bourgeois guitars, and they each had something a little different than the other. Huss and Dalton does not get as much PR, as they are much harder to find in the wild in many parts of the country. If that were not the case, I believe they would be thought of in the same mention as the other three. I think most people who have actually played them would agree.
Old 09-25-2020, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

I have a lot of love for H&D guitars after owning a few over the years. I would not say they are better than any of the other boutique builders, rather they have a different voice than others.

We all like what we like and that is great. May we all end up finding ones that make us smile!
Old 09-25-2020, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
Being disappointed with someone else’s Froggy you take a spin on might not be accurate if you ever want to consider them again as an option. Keep in mind that Froggy’s are all built to order and buying one usually includes a lengthy discussion with Michael Millard on what you want from the guitar. So if you pick up a Froggy just to sample, you could be hearing to a degree what the original owner wanted from the guitar. If you like a darker sounding dread, you may play a Froggy where the player who ordered it wanted a brighter sounding dread and that is what they built. It’s cool that they can do that (check out Michael Bashkin’s interview with Michael Millard on the Luthier on Luthier podcast for insight into that process).
I didn’t know that about FB, and that explains a lot! Why people are raving (because they have a guitar built perfectly for their target sound) and why my ears don’t hear what they are listening for (guitar built for someone else’s ears).
Thanks for pointing that out.
Old 09-25-2020, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

Won't do it. Trust your ears. Believe that is the only thing important, because it is. Equally important is trusting your hands. I've played guitars that sounded great, but didn't feel great to play. Move on.

If you are seriously considering playing in this price level, consider a trip to a store that carries them all, or at least a city with multiple good shops.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 09-25-2020, 04:18 PM

I have two H&D’s that I love for their tone and feel. They suit my preferences very well indeed.

That being said, all of the boutique builders produce outstanding instruments each with their unique personalities.

I believe that any are worthy for serious consideration and you will have to find the one that speaks to your preferences. We are in an amazing time where so many outstanding guitars are available to choose from.
Guild F-512
Yamaha FG-200
Old 09-25-2020, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

I now have my third Huss & Dalton, a TD-R, I've had a D-RH and a DS Rosewood. All three guitars sound as good in their signature tone as the best guitars I've ever played, Like others have said, when you get to the level of Huss & Dalton, Collings, Bourgeois, etc., it becomes a matter of what brand and model sounds best to the player.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion