The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-25-2020, 06:54 AM

Frank Hudson wrote:
"Here's another thing: we know that laminates can obtain some advantages in stability and strength. Typical laminated backs are simply a cost-saving measure, and the rosewood or mahogany is typically a very very thin slice, but what properties could one get from a two or three-ply laminate of rosewood for example with no cheaper "filler wood?" "

That is how I build laminated backs and sides - sequence matched veneers glued back together as they were cut. I use the old thick sawn veneers and it gives many of the same properties as with solid wood, and some of the same drawbacks (if they are subjected to extreme dryness they will crack the same as "solid" wood, so you must treat them like a solid wood guitar)
I bought the excess veneer fairly cheaply some years ago. It allows me to build a Brazilian rosewood B/S guitar for the price of a solid mahogany B/S guitar, and veneer is cut from some of the nicest looking wood found.
I always use solid wood soundboards. I think the soundboard is of paramount importance to the sound of the guitar where the wood is concerned.

Last edited by hermithollow; 11-25-2020 at 07:06 AM.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:43 AM

As several here have already touched on, there is far too much oversimplification in these "laminate or not" discussions. This is not a straight-up question that is answerable because "all else being equal" rarely ever is equal!

1. Is every lam constructed the same: thicknesses, each layer's wood species, how bonded? This is akin to saying "it's mahogany, it's gotta sound like other mahogany guitars..."

2. Is the laminate back/side really the only difference such that we can compare this one build difference? C'mon now, with acoustics we know this.

3. Does every maker approach their "laminate line" with the same mindset as their "solid line"? There are makers who are genuinely more "serious" with their laminate builds, and approach these guitars not as mere budget fodder; then there are those that pump em out because they will sell.

Whether a guitar has lam b/s is a considerable difference in build, to be sure. But one makes a mistake by dismissing or lauding them with generalizations that miss the differences that do make a difference. IMHO.

Edward

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion