The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-24-2020, 10:32 PM

Default Hiscox Case Fitting for Breedlove Concertina

I've read the forum for years and have always enjoyed the info, advice, opinions, and great gear pics! It finally came to be that I need some of this very expert advice myself. Thus, I joined up and my first post. I sincerely appreciate your thoughts and all the great reading you folks have provided over the years.

For those with Hiscox Pro-II cases, what am I looking for in comparing my kid's Concertina measurements to Hiscox specifications? I'm looking to get the normal desired secure fit without a lot of travel in the case. Every rigid case candidate excluding customs seems to be .5/.75 inches over in a least a couple of the dimensions. They are all about the same. Parlors are too small, and 000's are too big.

In other words, nothing looks perfect out of the gate, but I know every manufacturer's numbers can mean different things. I'm always shocked by what does fit a case and what sometimes does not. I've beat the keyboard for days looking for the answer and have an email in to Hiscox for a recommendation.

I've usually gone with the trial and error method to find a good case fit. However, shipping cases back/forth isn't desirable. Breedlove does have a ply case that "appears" to be sourced from the usual suppliers and inline with standard cases. However, I don't have any way to verify it's fit and build. Breedlove owners with this recent model case please let me know what you think. I just figured at current price point and sight unseen I might as well invest in the Hiscox if the fit looks doable.

I really appreciate your input and any suggestions you guys might have.

Best regards,

Mac
Old 11-25-2020, 06:10 PM

Well, Hiscox got back to me and recommended the dread case. I guess they are very conservative with recommending one that they know won't be too small. It seems to me that I could fit the Concertina and a change of clothes in that case. I was thinking they would point to the Martin 000 or one of the classicals. I think their Martin 000 looks as close as I can get with them. It does have the depth taper for the body that looks like it would work well for the Concertina. Also, there is the plus that the 000 would be one of the easiest to sell if it didn't work out.

Concertina owners please let me know if you have a well fitting case that doesn't climb into the price of customs. I would especially like to know what you think of the most recent Breedlove labeled ply case. It looks to me to be an archtop model similar in look to a Stage 3 from Access. Appreciate your thoughts.

Best regards,

Mac
Old 02-20-2021, 06:15 PM

Just bringing this back as I found a case for a Breedlove Concertina from alternate supplier. After waiting 4 months for a Hiscox OM/000 in US, I finally gave up. As of now, one still has to pay a steep price to get a Breedlove fitted case since big boxes don't have any. I couldn't see paying half the price of guitar for a case unless it was something like a Hiscox.

Finally, I purchased a Silver Creek "Classical" size from Guitar Center/Musician's Friend. Silver Creek has been mentioned on the forum and is a nice value ply case made by or from the same factory as Guardian.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Silver-...Guitar-Case.gc

The one I received fit well. After massaging the padding around the lower bout for a few minutes, it slips in perfectly and snug with only a little extra room in the height on the neck. The case quality is as reported on the forum. It's not perfect but very acceptable for the price. If you have a Concertina without case and want one, this should work.

Best,

Mac

Last edited by Macpage; 02-20-2021 at 09:51 PM.
Old 03-14-2024, 04:45 PM

This is helpful, thanks. I bought a Breedlove concertina for my wife and was surprised at how poorly it fits into a Breedlove Concertina case - as if the waist on the guitar is a full 1.5-2" closer to the neck. I sent pictures, and Breedlove support said this is just how they fit. I'll check out the case you suggested, thanks!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion