The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-03-2020, 05:57 PM

Default Anyone remove the ES2 from their Taylor?

I'm thinking of getting a Taylor again because of the cutaway and great playing neck. I want this to mostly be a stage guitar. I really don't like the ES2 system though, and want to go with an Anthem. Has anyone here removed the ES2 and done something like this? I know that I can order a new one without electronics, but was wondering how much of a pain this process was. Also, I'm wondering it the controls on the side could possibly work with the Anthem system. Thanks for all help.
Old 08-04-2020, 05:21 AM

ES-2 plus an IR such as ToneDexter is worth considering. All the unused holes would bother me. Mi-Si does sell a rechargeable preamp that fits in the holes left behind by an ES preamp.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 08-04-2020, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duaneallen View Post
I'm thinking of getting a Taylor again because of the cutaway and great playing neck. I want this to mostly be a stage guitar. I really don't like the ES2 system though, and want to go with an Anthem. Has anyone here removed the ES2 and done something like this? I know that I can order a new one without electronics, but was wondering how much of a pain this process was. Also, I'm wondering it the controls on the side could possibly work with the Anthem system. Thanks for all help.
I think the only route you can go is a Mi-Si

besides, what to do with the three sensors that are imbedded in the bridge?

IMHO, I think the Es2 does a far better job then other systems, and I've had an Anthem. It sounds good, but the preamp housing is rather large, and the one on my J200 after while, started to rattle and it drove me nuts. I replaced it with an Matrix Infinity, and eventually bought a tonedexter.
Old 08-07-2020, 02:16 PM

I removed the es-2 out of my 514ce. Had a baggs lb-6 and internal mic installed , works perfect. Luthier filled up the three holes in the bridge and the three holes in the side I use as a soundport
Old 04-27-2021, 10:50 PM

Any more thoughts on this subject? I really don't want to put an Anthem in any more guitars since it does change the sound just a little bit. I really love its sound plugged in though. I'm thinking of going with a guitar that is just meant for the stage, and Taylors are great for that. Should I just get a Taylor and learn to live with the ES2? I really haven't gigged with one yet, so maybe its not that bad?
Old 04-27-2021, 11:20 PM
Charter Member

You can buy a Taylor without electronics. I would probably go that route although I do think the ES2 is an excellent system.
Old 04-28-2021, 03:18 AM
Charter Member

I, too, like a well-adjusted (three Allen-head screws) ES2.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 04-28-2021, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
You can buy a Taylor without electronics. I would probably go that route although I do think the ES2 is an excellent system.
You can, but it's a custom order and you don't get to play the guitar first. I tried looking for a Taylor without electronics back when I was still interested in the brand and it was impossible to see any without the ES2 or original ES installed. I think one of the Grand Pacific models is offered without electronics but that's about all that comes to mind.

It's not the ES2 but I removed the original ES system. I was shocked by how much stuff was in the guitar!
Old 04-28-2021, 10:20 AM

Get the voiceprint or the tonedexter and you dont have to remove the es2.
Old 04-28-2021, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Any more thoughts on this subject? I really don't want to put an Anthem in any more guitars since it does change the sound just a little bit. I really love its sound plugged in though. I'm thinking of going with a guitar that is just meant for the stage, and Taylors are great for that. Should I just get a Taylor and learn to live with the ES2? I really haven't gigged with one yet, so maybe its not that bad?
If it were me, I'd actually do a gig or two before I started messing around with all that. I've always found the ES2 to be good.
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta
Old 04-28-2021, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Not sure how to handle the plastic battery box/ strap button with a different pickup.
Old 04-28-2021, 11:35 AM

You can buy a plug kit on Etsy for the three button holes and the battery compartment hole and it looks to support a strap button. Search Etsy for Expression Plug Taylor Acoustic Guitars. You’d probably have to find someone to cut some ebony plugs for the bridge though.

"Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind." Twelfth Doctor
Old 04-28-2021, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
You can buy a plug kit on Etsy for the three button holes and the battery compartment hole and it looks to support a strap button. Search Etsy for Expression Plug Taylor Acoustic Guitars. You’d probably have to find someone to cut some ebony plugs for the bridge though.
It's probably the one I got for my Taylor. I highly recommend it. The plugs are lightweight medal but perfectly stick in place.
Old 04-28-2021, 12:01 PM

I have an 814CE DX V, and a tonedexter..

I can add a bit credence to the comments suggesting this setup.

I love the tone I get with this combination.

Be a lot easier than what you're proposing...
Old 04-28-2021, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff_the_stiff View Post
Not sure how to handle the plastic battery box/ strap button with a different pickup.
You can reuse it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification