The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-08-2023, 06:07 PM

Quite a rabbit hole the author opened. I've used dozens over the years, and to me, most sound quite similar. I still use one I've had since the '80's: Chandler tube driver, and the Brent Mason Hot Wired by Wampler since about 2017. They're definitely fun. Good luck.
Old 03-09-2023, 08:34 AM

There is more overhyped B.S about OD pedals than just about any gear. I've never heard or had any OD pedals that sound anywhere near as good as a great tube amp pushed. Price is also pretty irrelevant. A $30 pedal can sound as good as a $300 pedal. Again it is mostly baloney.
Pono 0000-30DC
Yamaha FSX5, LS16, FG830, FSX700SC
Epiphone EF500-RAN
2001 Gibson '58 Reissue LP
2005, 2007 Gibson '60 Reissue LP Special (Red&TV Yel)
1972 Yamaha SG1500, 1978 LP500
Tele's and Strats
1969,1978 Princeton Reverb
1972 Deluxe Reverb
Epiphone Sheraton, Riviera
DeArmond T400
Ibanez AS73
Quilter Superblock US[/I]
Old 03-09-2023, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidd View Post
There is more overhyped B.S about OD pedals than just about any gear. I've never heard or had any OD pedals that sound anywhere near as good as a great tube amp pushed. Price is also pretty irrelevant. A $30 pedal can sound as good as a $300 pedal. Again it is mostly baloney.
I'm with this right here. They can add a little but they can't replace.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 03-09-2023, 11:08 AM

Different strokes I guess. I'm a pedal guy and have owned lots of OD pedals. If we're talking transparent, then yes they are built to sound like a pushed amp. I would use these as always on pedals that can add some boost and just a little more of what you like out of your amp, usually a bit more sustain.

I run all my amps clean with pretty low gain and use OD to push that to a mid or even high gain tone without having to fiddle with volume knobs or amp settings. This is just an easier way for me to adjust on the fly. There are plenty of OD pedals with full EQ that you can set to your liking that are instantly available at the push of a button that can sound a whole lot different than just pushing your amp.
Old 03-09-2023, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glaze3 View Post
Different strokes I guess. I'm a pedal guy and have owned lots of OD pedals. If we're talking transparent, then yes they are built to sound like a pushed amp. I would use these as always on pedals that can add some boost and just a little more of what you like out of your amp, usually a bit more sustain.

I run all my amps clean with pretty low gain and use OD to push that to a mid or even high gain tone without having to fiddle with volume knobs or amp settings. This is just an easier way for me to adjust on the fly. There are plenty of OD pedals with full EQ that you can set to your liking that are instantly available at the push of a button that can sound a whole lot different than just pushing your amp.
The beauty of channel switching capabilities makes the world a brighter place!!!

I run a few Marshalls (combo's to head/cab setup)
They all have quite a versatile setup for using different channels/sounds and that's cool But, I STILL have a few OD pedals on the board to fill out the spectrum of tones I like to use. They just do different things which at different times, is just the thing.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 03-10-2023, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Depends on the amp. I probably need a smaller amp to get that sound at home without higher volumes.

As for the pedals. Depends on what sound you're looking for and how exact you want to be. I have 3 OD pedals that are angelic and one is no longer made. I'd love to find a backup for that one for gigging purposes. Some of my friends have had pedal boards stolen and that particular pedal is heavenly.
Old 03-10-2023, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
Depends on the amp. I probably need a smaller amp to get that sound at home without higher volumes.
In the distant past I went as small as a single-ended Champ type amp and still couldn't get any sort of pleasing dirty tone at less than window-rattling volume (unless I used a dirt pedal).

But that was in the bad old days before the availability of decent size amps with attenuators, etc.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 03-10-2023, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hutto View Post
In the distant past I went as small as a single-ended Champ type amp and still couldn't get any sort of pleasing dirty tone at less than window-rattling volume (unless I used a dirt pedal).

But that was in the bad old days before the availability of decent size amps with attenuators, etc.
You have a point. I should look into those. I'm not always on top of new gear.
Old 03-10-2023, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
I could not be happier with my Klon clone. I hear the EHX Soul Food is a good one at a reasonable price.
I ditched my Soul Food for a Wampler Tumnus Deluxe. Much happier. Can be had as the small Tumnus for less. I had looked long and hard at another Klon clone at an affordable price to me. Narrowed it down to the Wampler or a Mythos Pedals Mjolnir. The Wampler Deluxe when on sale so I went with that one. Been very happy!
Old 03-19-2023, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadzmad View Post
I second both the joyo sweet baby and the caline pure sky for a transparent overdrive pedal. I have and like both of these pedals. I know they are knock offs but don't cost too much and are fine for at home use. Of the two the pure sky is brighter and the sweet baby is warmer.
I gig with my “Sweet Baby”.
It’s fine.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-19-2023, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Normally, I don’t like generalizations but, I kind of have to agree.
I’ve had a multitude of OD pedals and wasted a lot of money thinking the differences are huge.
I didn’t find that to be the case. What I did find is that whether you just want some mild OD or over the top searing distortion, you can buy a bunch of pedals on the cheap that will do just fine. Most gigging guitarists have at least two and sometimes three stomp boxes or some sort of programmable effects box.
That way they can cover a lot of ground.
The Joyo “Sweet Baby” I recommended costs $38. If you want to spend $300 on something else, it’s your wallet.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-19-2023, 03:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
I could not be happier with my Klon clone. I hear the EHX Soul Food is a good one at a reasonable price.
I dig the Soul Food and yes it is reasonably priced. Good edge of breakup sound.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 03-19-2023, 04:40 PM

2 things I must like before having an overdrive on my board are:

1. The sound of the overdrive - rather obvious? Well they vary a lot - most imo are hard/harsh, some fizzy or fuzzy, .. hard to find one that sound real.

2. Transparency - a low gain pedal that changes the tone of your amp is not why I spent all that money on guitars and amps.

I’m using a Greer Lightspeed and Southland turned down low - they’re just the most credible and least offensive I’ve found .. not that I’ve tried everything on the market.
2 different low breakups can stack to produce a third of course.
Old 03-25-2023, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
I do like the sound when it is JUST breaking up a little. This works but it is inconvenient to keep playing with the knobs . I 'm in a cramped corner with my gear and it 's a pain to work my way in there to get to the amp. These other pedals you guys are showing seem to be a bit too much , I guess ya can dial em back ,but I 've never owned one .
Just get a Blues Driver and keep the gain low. Honestly, it's that easy. The truth is that almost ANY gain pedal will do what you want, but a BD-2 or something similar is pretty much made for that.
Old 03-25-2023, 11:12 AM

I've got a Boss BD-2 and a Nobels ODR Mini, and I can't decide which I like best. Either of them allow you to dial the gain back and get an edge-of-breakup sound.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars