The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-26-2023, 11:16 PM

Default What should I do with my Tele?

I bought it new in 2011 or so. A buddy of mine was putting together a classic rock band and recruited me for keys. I was playing mostly jazz at the time and thought a bar band might be fun, having gigged with my buddy years ago and had a lot of fun. Like most keyboard players I envied the guitarist, standing out front, getting attention, while I was alway stuck in the back or off to the side, and having already played folkish guitar finger style I though how cool would it be to double a little rhythm on an electric guitar. The Tele seemed simple. Two knobs! So I went down to the local music shop and played a bunch and came away with a 60 anniversary American Standard. Pretty decent guitar, think it cost me about a grand. I've never done anything to it except change strings.

Fast forward to now. Classic rock band ran its course. I'm playing piano in big bands and with click track shows. And in my abundant spare time I've fallen down the electric guitar rabbit hole, kinda digging guys like Cory Wong, Matteo Mancuso, others. Since then I've acquired an Eastman T185MX, which I really like. It's got the nut size the same as my acoustics. Got Duncan SH1s, sounds great. And I bought a modeler on the cheap, Valeton 200. Here's the prob.

The Tele seems to be generating sporadic, but annoying infrequent digital artifacts on the Valeton, meanwhile the Eastman does not. So?

Replace the Tele pickups with a set of noiseless or something? Trade it in on a Strat Ultra? I've hardly played Strats but now I'm fixating on them. I'd like a guitar with a narrow neck in my stable like the Tele, but I'm not really in love with mine.
Old 02-27-2023, 04:30 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I'd be afraid that changing the pickups in the Tele would be throwing good money after bad. Replace the modeler. Few of us with good modelers have problems with Teles. I'd suggest the Line 6 HX Stomp, if you are still wanting to go on the cheap, or the Helix LT if you are willing to throw down a little more coin.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-27-2023, 04:54 AM

I would just go into a regular guitar amp, bypass the device you're using.

see what that does.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 02-27-2023, 05:39 AM

Get a Tweed Deluxe or Princeton Reverb.
Old 02-27-2023, 07:08 AM
Charter Member

This sounds like a modeler issue, not a Tele one. I'm not familiar with that unit, but does it have a way to adjust the impedance of the input? I know that the Line 6 units has that feature. Some units are fixed at 1Mohm. Is there a support page for that modeler or a user group/forum? Also, can you test your Tele through another rig? Are you using the same cable? If you do decide to sell it, it would be worth knowing if it has an issue.

Additionally, Strats are awesome.
National Polychrome Tricone
National Model D Squareneck
Weber Gallatin A Mandolin

http://www.bandmix.com/jon-nilsen/
https://www.bandmix.com/limberlost/
Old 02-28-2023, 04:36 PM

I have no problems with 5 different telecasters through an HX stomp. It's your modeler.
Old 03-04-2023, 12:24 AM
AGF Sponsor

If you get artifact when playing the Tele and not when playing the Eastman, it's the Tele. What I suspect is happening is that there's an intermittent stray field in your environment (a motor, a light, etc) and the simple single coil pickup is passing it through to the amp, which is glitching in response. The Duncans in your Eastman are humbucking, so it all makes sense.

Any number of paths are open to you. From your description, it sounds like you like your Eastman, you like your Valeton, and you might not miss the Tele too much if it left. You could replace the Tele pickups with some Fender Ultras or any of a very wide selection of aftermarket modern noiseless pickups and that would very likely solve the stray field problem. But it sounds like things have evolved in your life and at this point your musical psyche might be better served by a Strat. The Ultra version is a good choice: it comes with the noiseless pickups.

Happy hunting!
Softride Rocket
Trek Y-Foil
Old 03-04-2023, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFL Steve View Post
If you get artifact when playing the Tele and not when playing the Eastman, it's the Tele. What I suspect is happening is that there's an intermittent stray field in your environment (a motor, a light, etc) and the simple single coil pickup is passing it through to the amp, which is glitching in response. The Duncans in your Eastman are humbucking, so it all makes sense.

Any number of paths are open to you. From your description, it sounds like you like your Eastman, you like your Valeton, and you might not miss the Tele too much if it left. You could replace the Tele pickups with some Fender Ultras or any of a very wide selection of aftermarket modern noiseless pickups and that would very likely solve the stray field problem. But it sounds like things have evolved in your life and at this point your musical psyche might be better served by a Strat. The Ultra version is a good choice: it comes with the noiseless pickups.

Happy hunting!
This. Random, sporadic static or noises is often something broadcasting RF noise. Do you keep your phone on you while you play, like in your pocket?

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 03-05-2023, 09:48 AM

A Telecaster should never be in the vicinity of noiseless pickups! Sacrosanct IMO. The two are mutually exclusive.

Seriously there is something wrong with the signal (perhaps a grounding issue) or you are might be hearing 60 cycle hum. By the way a Tele can make a super Jazz guitar. The neck pickup is my go to on a Tele.
Pono 0000-30DC
Yamaha FSX5, LS16, FG830, FSX700SC
Epiphone EF500-RAN
2001 Gibson '58 Reissue LP
2005, 2007 Gibson '60 Reissue LP Special (Red&TV Yel)
1972 Yamaha SG1500, 1978 LP500
Tele's and Strats
1969,1978 Princeton Reverb
1972 Deluxe Reverb
Epiphone Sheraton, Riviera
DeArmond T400
Ibanez AS73
Quilter Superblock US[/I]
Old 03-05-2023, 10:10 AM

Get yourself a SFDR from the early 70's (while they were still made with slid pine cabinets). Lots of headroom in these amps and they will cover anything you want to play.
Old 03-05-2023, 05:00 PM

Default What should I do with my Tele?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags View Post
I bought it new in 2011 or so...I went down to the local music shop and played a bunch and came away with a 60th Anniversary American Standard. Pretty decent guitar, think it cost me about a grand. I've never done anything to it except change strings...

I've hardly played Strats but now I'm fixating on them. I'd like a guitar with a narrow neck in my stable like the Tele, but I'm not really in love with mine.
I'd keep the 60th Anniversary Tele, and in as pristine a condition as possible (which it sounds like you're already doing ) - they're never going to build any more, and IMO somewhere down the line it'll be worth more than you're likely to get for it now - and save up my bucks for a Strat if you think it'll float your boat; I'd also be looking at something with more utilitarian than collector appeal - go with a RPO USA or Mexican model and skip the limited-edition stuff if you're after a player rather than a speculation purchase...
Old 03-05-2023, 05:37 PM

One hint might be that the Eastman is a dual humbucker guitar (I have a t184mx myself ), and the tele is most likely dual single-coils. It's possible that your modeler doesn't play nicely with single-coil pickups.

Another option for an inexpensive, but very powerful and well-regarded modeler is a Boss GT-1. Great tones, easy-peasy to use, great with all of my guitars, and just about $200 new.
Old 03-06-2023, 10:52 AM

OP UPDATE:

I found a Strat on consignment at a local shop, 1996 Plus. Nice Rosewood fingerboard, locking tuners, lace pickups. Minty. Seems like it was in the case mostly. Came with all the case candy. $1200. Doesn't have any issues with the Valeton. I'll get some pix up soon and tell the story of another sub-par interaction with GC...

Meantime I've ordered some noiseless pickups from Fender for the Tele, latest Ultra Noiseless Vintage. When they come in I'll take it to the local luthier I like and have him install them and look for any wiring issues.

Appreciate all the feedback.
Old 03-06-2023, 10:54 AM

oops, error....
Old 03-06-2023, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags View Post
OP UPDATE:

I found a Strat on consignment at a local shop, 1996 Plus. Nice Rosewood fingerboard, locking tuners, lace pickups. Minty. Seems like it was in the case mostly. Came with all the case candy. $1200. Doesn't have any issues with the Valeton. I'll get some pix up soon and tell the story of another sub-par interaction with GC...

Meantime I've ordered some noiseless pickups from Fender for the Tele, latest Ultra Noiseless Vintage. When they come in I'll take it to the local luthier I like and have him install them and look for any wiring issues.

Appreciate all the feedback.
I'm thinking it is just normal single coil noise that is what you are hearing. Congrats on the new Strat!
Pono 0000-30DC
Yamaha FSX5, LS16, FG830, FSX700SC
Epiphone EF500-RAN
2001 Gibson '58 Reissue LP
2005, 2007 Gibson '60 Reissue LP Special (Red&TV Yel)
1972 Yamaha SG1500, 1978 LP500
Tele's and Strats
1969,1978 Princeton Reverb
1972 Deluxe Reverb
Epiphone Sheraton, Riviera
DeArmond T400
Ibanez AS73
Quilter Superblock US[/I]

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars