The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-20-2023, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12barBill View Post
What's not to like? I also put this up in the Listen section.

that was GREAT!
Old 02-23-2023, 08:55 AM

When I pick up a guitar - any guitar - I play what I want however I want. Isn’t that the point? Unless you’re auditioning for a stage band and you have to learn 27 songs you’ve never played perfectly by next Saturday, it should always be done for the joy of it. Now, get out that beater acoustic and let’s hear some Purple Haze!
Old 02-23-2023, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostnote View Post
...Now, get out that beater acoustic and let’s hear some "Purple Haze!"
Funny you should mention it: a former college bandbud used to perform "Purple Haze" as an acoustic solo, complete with feedback that he was able to generate by strategically positioning himself and his jumbo-bodied guitar in relation to the mic and PA columns (the then-ubiquitous Shure Vocal Master... ); drew a lot of laughs when he'd start - and a rousing ovation when he finished...
Old 02-24-2023, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Funny you should mention it: a former college bandbud used to perform "Purple Haze" as an acoustic solo, complete with feedback that he was able to generate by strategically positioning himself and his jumbo-bodied guitar in relation to the mic and PA columns (the then-ubiquitous Shure Vocal Master... ); drew a lot of laughs when he'd start - and a rousing ovation when he finished...
I'd give a nickel to see that, myself.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 02-24-2023, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hutto View Post
I'd give a nickel to see that myself.
That's a whole lot more than what most folks used to put in our tip jar back then, but I guess we need to adjust for inflation...
Old 03-05-2023, 08:02 AM

AC/DC:s Thunderstruck is electric music. Right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMPWfHqVj40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4Ao-iNPPUc
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 03-07-2023, 10:03 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpuhan View Post
I have recently come to a revelation that somewhat surprised me, although it shouldn't have. Simply put: I'm an electric guitar player trying to play the music I like on acoustic guitars. To me, it's not the same thing. I've been a member here for a while because I play a lot of acoustic guitar. Just not acoustic music.

Even though I've been playing for more than 55 years, I started out with an acoustic 12-string and a little later, a Gibson single-pickup archtop. Which I mostly played acoustically.

But the music I play mostly originates from the rock 'n' roll of my youth. A lot of I-IV-V three chord tunes, with a bit (a lot, in fact) of blues thrown in.

Even though I've taken to performing live at a folk club, every time I hit the stage my set list consists of relics from my youth. Invariably, the songs have electric origins. I am not a folkie! For example, "Pride of Man" is a song written by a folkie and performed by a variety of folkies, but the song that sits in my hands and comes out through my fingers is the electrified version as performed by Quicksilver Messenger Service.

The closest I've gotten to folk music are some folk-pop-rock songs as performed by Michael Nesmith, Brewer & Shipley and Steve Goodman.

This post is mostly self-relevatory; I'm not asking for advice or seeking alternatives. I enjoy playing acoustic guitar, and it's a lot handier than plugging in, finding the right tone and volume and going through a lot of prep work. But making electric music sound acoustic can be a challenge, and that's what I've been trying to do. Now that I realize it, perhaps I don't have to try so hard.
I have no doubt that Keith Richards would be amused while reading your post....and he'd be only one of hundreds of other rock & roll songwriters from many generations of great R&R & R&B writers who'd agree with what you're doing.

The only problem I have is when a player or group tries to play 'acoustic' instruments, plugged in, AND they play the exact parts that they played on electric guitars.

That's a total waste of energy. The original kernel of the song will almost always translate to an acoustic guitar in the hands of the writer.

HE
Old 03-07-2023, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
I have no doubt that Keith Richards would be amused while reading your post....and he'd be only one of hundreds of other rock & roll songwriters from many generations of great R&R & R&B writers who'd agree with what you're doing.

The only problem I have is when a player or group tries to play 'acoustic' instruments, plugged in, AND they play the exact parts that they played on electric guitars.

That's a total waste of energy. The original kernel of the song will almost always translate to an acoustic guitar in the hands of the writer.

HE
There's a concept that comes up in lessons with my guitar teacher, around the thing you call the "original kernel of the song". I am still learning how to hear what's "kernel" and what's not when I hear a tune I like.

It's a different style of music than we're discussing but fiddle tunes are an easy example. There's some "kernel" within every (good) fiddle tune that makes it the tune it is rather than some other tune in the same A-Mix or whatever mode. That kernel can survive intact playing the tune on a flatpicked guitar, a mandolin, even an electric guitar instead of on a fiddle. But the notes and timing, the feel of the thing, will be distinct on each instrument.

I really want to develop a better ear for those "kernels" but it's a process...
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 03-07-2023, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

My absolute favorite music is rollicking rock music played on an acoustic (truly unplugged)

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 03-13-2023, 04:16 AM
Charter Member

Played as one piece of a working band for over 40 years.

Not only is playing the songs I like on acoustic challenging.

But trying to come up with a way to make them sound good, with just guitar and one vocal is quite another.
Old 03-13-2023, 08:57 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hutto View Post
There's a concept that comes up in lessons with my guitar teacher, around the thing you call the "original kernel of the song". I am still learning how to hear what's "kernel" and what's not when I hear a tune I like.

It's a different style of music than we're discussing but fiddle tunes are an easy example. There's some "kernel" within every (good) fiddle tune that makes it the tune it is rather than some other tune in the same A-Mix or whatever mode. That kernel can survive intact playing the tune on a flatpicked guitar, a mandolin, even an electric guitar instead of on a fiddle. But the notes and timing, the feel of the thing, will be distinct on each instrument.

I really want to develop a better ear for those "kernels" but it's a process...
Hi Brent,
The kernel is nothing more than the chords & the melody; a basic demo tape version of the composition. A good song shows itself in that format.

A well known version is Honky Tonk Woman and its kernel recording of Country Honk. Yes, Country Honk isn't just one guitar, but it's just basic strumming and vocals.

Now.......that said......did the cowbell intro and open G power chord pinch & Ry Cooder ripped-off hook-riff have anything to do with making it one of the most popular rock records in history?

Dang straight....but there was a kernel to plant first.

HE
Old 03-20-2023, 10:45 AM

I played my Brondel A2 with a K&K into a Tweed Deluxe.
I used a Boss '63 Fender Reverb pedal and EHX Q Tron.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars