The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 08-24-2018, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

Default Pricing/value question

How much would finish checking affect what you might be willing to pay for a used guitar? The guitar in question is a 10 year old by a very reputable builder being sold on the builders site (not sure if it's consigned but supposed to have been evaluated by the builder). The sticker price new would have been about 10k the asking price is 5500 and the general condition is listed as "Has been played quite a bit and has extensive finish checking. Structurally perfect." Sound reasonable on first impression?
Old 08-24-2018, 12:07 PM

Some of my guitars have noticeably aged finishes - nitrocellulose often ages poorly. If it's part of the character and "zen" of the guitar, then it's fine. But these guitars are 50 and 60, or even 70 years old. A 10 year old guitar - maybe not so much. You indicate this instrument is at around a 50% discount, so it sounds like the finish condition has already been factored into the price. This also reflects what I think is probably a tough resale market for non-name-brand instruments, if the builder is not Collins, or Benedetto, or similar. I don't know that anyone can expect a newish used instrument from anyone to appreciate these days, when you can just buy a new one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops