The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 02-01-2015, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaGull View Post
Another vote for the Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin - I own a Kingpin II (with 2 P90's), but it sounds like you'd like the Kingpin - with one P90 at the neck...

Enjoy!
Good luck with your search. There are so many excellent affordable guitars out there now, more than ever before.

Here's another unpaid endorsement for the Kingpin. Mine has made me forget about the other guitars I won, acoustic and electric. I have a Kingpin and a Fifth Avenue, one strung each way, and neither one cost me over $400 used. Don't let the single pickup bother you-- there's a huge variety of tonal voices available with a twist of the knob. Though it will never squawk like a strangled Strat, it can do almost everything else.

Many will tell you that a solid top is a must. You just won't hear that from generations of ES-175 players, 'cuz the most iconic jazz guitar in history was made of plywood. And I take satisfaction knowing that mine was made of select "Wild Cherry" plywood, made by fine craftsmen in the Free World, and folks who know how to play the guitars they make.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:50 PM

I really can't speak for all of the guitars discussed in this thread, but was looking for a relatively inexpensive archtop to try and tripped over a used eastman 810ce on craigslist. I can only say after a couple of weeks that it is a really nice guitar. It is super easy to play, sounds just like I was hoping it would, and it's a bonus that it looks great. Should mention that it sounds good unplugged and it sounds good plugged in too. I am mostly playing simple versions on songs like East Tennessee Blues, Limehouse Blues, Sweet Georgia Brown, and Down Yonder so far. It's a blast. If you can get your hands on an eastman to try, I recommend it at least for comparison purposes.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 02-04-2015, 08:18 AM

Have you considered Epiphone? I picked up an Epiphone Emperor Regent. The one in the video is a 1997 Peerless factory made model. Mine is a 2005 model also made in the Peerless factory. One of the last few. I paid $400 for mine including a case and I'll never let it go. Flawless construction and a perfect setup.

I string mine up with D'Addario EJ21 Jazz Lights .012-.052 roundwounds so for me it feels like playing acoustic guitar which is what I want. It (for me) has a decent unplugged sound but it has a that floating pickup and plugged in it sounds very good. For me it's the best of both worlds for what I do. Epiphone also make the ES-175 Premium, the Emperor Joe Pass and Broadway archtops but I really wanted the Emperor Regent simply for the floating pickup.

Epiphone Emperor Regent

Old 02-04-2015, 09:40 AM

Really great demo "Bluesfreak"

It is really nice to hear all the variations you got using both the mic and the pickup. I can also say from experience that the 1 11/16 neck on Epiphone, Peerless and D'angelico Guitars is a bit easier to play when doing larger stretches for more pianistic voicings.

I have small hands and I have noticed that Eastman necks feel great at first then when I am really working on complex chords I find the extra bit is actually a bit too much. That is just me but I am assuming SausGirl is female and has a bit smaller hands like I do.
If the neck is a bit smaller width wise you can more easily tolerate the 25.5 Scale - For me with more complex chords I like the 24.75 scale.

I am +1 on D'angelico. The EXL model is a nicely made version of a guitar very similar to Peerless Emperor Regent (Epiphone). The fretwork on Peerless and D'Angelico is jumbo frets and after playing some Eastman's and an Acoustic Loar I have found that I really like the wider frets. Bigger frets are somehow more comfy doing jazz chords.

As far as Peerless guitars go there are quite a few on Ebay - Models you might want to consider....
Monarch - 17" set pickup - basically a Korean L5 Solid pressed top
Manhattan - 17" Laminate top - D'aquisto copy - Ebony Fingerboard

Goodluck on your search.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:59 AM

It's not me playing on that demo (I wish it was) but...Yeah that video demo really sold me on that guitar. Here's another unplugged video of one with the pickup & pickguard removed and a modified ebony tailpiece.

This video shows the guitar again with a modified tailpiece. I like the combination of the mic & pickup sound on this recording.

Old 02-04-2015, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfreek View Post
...I picked up an Epiphone Emperor Regent...I paid $400 for mine including a case and I'll never let it go. Flawless construction and a perfect setup...
Epiphone absolutely owned the under-$1K big-body jazzbox market with this one - and why they discontinued it I'll never know ...
Old 02-04-2015, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Epiphone absolutely owned the under-$1K big-body jazzbox market with this one - and why they discontinued it I'll never know ...
I know and when they were in production they were only like $600 brand new.
Maybe Epiphone will bring it back in the "premium" version like they did with the ES-175 model they just introduced for like $800? I don't think there is anything they could improve on with the Emperor Regent. I feel I was lucky to find mine at such a reasonable used price. I know for some folks it's not the "jazz" sound they want but like I think if you can find an older used one and it's the sound you want, snap it up!
Old 02-04-2015, 10:07 PM

Hey all,
You know the Epiphone question is a very good one.Does anyone here play a Joe Pass II? I do like the short scale and the 1 11/16" neck won't be as troublesome since I won't be doing fingerstyle.
Look forward to your answers!
Jan
Old 02-05-2015, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sausgirl View Post
Hey all,
You know the Epiphone question is a very good one.Does anyone here play a Joe Pass II? I do like the short scale and the 1 11/16" neck won't be as troublesome since I won't be doing fingerstyle.
Look forward to your answers!
Jan

I think you'd be happy with an Epiphone Joe Pass model. Plus they are only $599 new. Most reviews I've read have been positive and I think quite a few players at www.jazzguitar.be/forum seem to enjoy them. If I didn't already have my Emperor Regent the Joe Pass model would be my next choice.

Good luck in your search!
Old 02-05-2015, 12:37 PM

Default Ibanez

I had an Ibanez archtop for years. It was a really good guitar. I just changed out the p/ups and the bridge. It had decent re-sale value.

I have a friend who is a pro-player and a vintage archtop dealer - he's screaming at me to get a D'Angelico.
Old 02-05-2015, 01:22 PM

I had the Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin and never really bonded with it. Can't say why,it just didn't float my boat. I sold it and got an Eastman 905,changed the pickup to a 12 pole handmade Kent Armstrong floater and as far as archtops go that's the one for me.It is all so personal though.I've talked to people who hate the sound of the Eastman and love the Godin. You can certainly get great advice on this and "The Jazz Guitar Forum" but in the end it's down to personal taste and of course resources.Make sure you play the guitar you think you might like and then go for it.
Old 02-05-2015, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artistic View Post
I had the Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin and never really bonded with it. Can't say why,it just didn't float my boat. I sold it and got an Eastman 905,changed the pickup to a 12 pole handmade Kent Armstrong floater and as far as archtops go that's the one for me.It is all so personal though.I've talked to people who hate the sound of the Eastman and love the Godin. You can certainly get great advice on this and "The Jazz Guitar Forum" but in the end it's down to personal taste and of course resources.Make sure you play the guitar you think you might like and then go for it.
Amen! What you are saying is the absolute truth. Thanks.
Jan
Old 02-05-2015, 04:00 PM

I bought a 372 Eastman from Ted @LaGuitarSales and I have been very happy with it. Alot of Guitar for the money IMO.

Randy
Old 02-06-2015, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artistic View Post
Perhaps the best post I've seen on this or any other forum in quite a while.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:36 AM

I have no interest but this is a very nice little guitar...

Epiphone Zephyr Regent. Basically an es175 - these are all pretty good and have the gibson neck shape. They are a bit heavy at 6 lbs. but that is laminate for you.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141565936414...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Serial number R02D0655. Peerless make 2002

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops