The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-23-2020, 03:37 PM

Smile Santa Cruz Mid Tension

I tried the Low Tension on a different guitar and liked them pretty well, enough to give the Medium Tension a shot on my short scale guitar. They are going on their 6th week and sound so good! However, they either play tricks with my ears, are finally settling in, or my guitar sounds better in the morning- maybe all true.

When I first put them on I was taken aback at how bright they were, especially strings 1-3. This surprised me because they have a heavier gauge treble and that usually tames the top end a bit on this guitar. They seem much more mellow now, still a good crisp sound but minus the brightness. Overall I'm very impressed with these though. They seem to "EQ" my guitar and bring much more harmonic content than any other PB strings I've tried. I don't know how else to describe it.... maybe I'm a just a lil' crazy. Because of the expense I wish I could say I don't care for them but they may need to become my go to string for this guitar. They are obviously quality strings!

BTW I play fingerstyle with flesh and a little nail, so the added brightness isn't a problem for me but rather a built in benefit. Great strings!
Old 10-23-2020, 03:49 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the review. I have been contemplating on trying them. My go to strings are Martin SP's, but I recently was introduced to Lowden strings. I really like the Lowdens, but they come at a higher price. Even more than Santa Cruz.

I just might order a set, and report back.
Old 10-23-2020, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

I recently bought a never played 2012 Seagull entourage mini jumbo. I’ve had buyers remorse because it’s sounded so thin and tinny. I tried John pearse bluegrass Pb,JP pure nickel (usually like these on everything)to no avail. Not exactly sure why but I decided to try the SC mid tensions. I’ve had them on for two days and no longer have buyers remorse. Much more full and rich sounding. Looking forward to both strings and guitar breaking in. I want to try EB aluminum bronze next and probably decide between the two.

If you’re not liking the sound of your guitar keep trying different strings!
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 & 2016 J35
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T

Last edited by Lillis; 10-23-2020 at 04:20 PM.
Old 10-23-2020, 03:55 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Yep. I love those Mids on my dreads. Been using them almost exclusively the last couple years. Martins, Taylors, Gibsons, Collings...to my ears they sound great on them all. Plan to try them first on the Bourgeois that’s arriving Monday. Sound sweet, last a long time and play easy.

FOR SALE: 2023 Martin 000-15SM 12 fret w/ K&K mini

Old 10-23-2020, 04:04 PM

I posted a while back on trying the SCGC mid tension, and I also liked them. The tone was good, and I was surprised that they seem easier to play. My imagination? Dunno, but I'd didn't have any expectations, so maybe it was real.
Old 10-23-2020, 04:27 PM
Charter Member

I enjoy SCGC Parabolic Strings quite a bit and use them more than other brands. They work well on all six of my steel string acoustic guitars, last a long time and sound and behave very well indeed.
Old 10-23-2020, 07:31 PM
Charter Member

Amazingly enough, although I had asked my local tech to install the SC Low Tension strings on a Martin OM I had recently...he put on Medium Tension ones, and I was totally blown away by how amazing they sounded. A huge volume boost, and were easy to play. As easy as any light strings I’ve ever tried.

Im pretty hooked on Santa Cruz strings at the moment. They ain’t cheap, but they are really good. I have Low Tensions on my Martin 00, and I’m very impressed.
Old 10-23-2020, 08:36 PM

I really like the SC strings. Been using them for about 3 years now. The mediums are on all of the guitars except the PJ. That little guy gets the low tensions. It’s not built to hold the mediums. They last forever and I really like how they feel as well as how they sound. I do find it takes them a day or so to settle down. The fact that they last so long means I have fewer string changes. How nice is that?

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 10-23-2020, 08:50 PM

I just strung up my Guild F30 with a set of the SC low tensions. Very impressed with them so far. On this guitar, they are somewhat dark and warm. Looking forward to seeing how they sound on my Furch OM, and Taylor 612
Taylor 612CE

Furch 2018LTD (OM)
Furch Rainbow Series Jumbo 12s
Furch Little Jane

McFarland resonator
Old 10-24-2020, 02:22 AM

Mid tension on my Hummingbird after 10 days are very nice. 3 days on the J-45. Nice too. Will see how long they last. I like the sound of rather new strings.So, if they work for more than 3 weeks, I‘d be happy.
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...
Old 10-24-2020, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the review. I've never tried the Santa Cruz strings, though I've read good things about them.
This past week I tried a set of GHS Thin Core strings and I love them. Sound good, feel low tension, amazing. My own question is being they are thin core, will they break easy...You might want to give them a try at around $7.50 a pack.

Last edited by jricc; 10-24-2020 at 01:22 PM.
Old 10-24-2020, 11:42 AM

Default Santa Cruz Mid Tension

My 414 was “meh” til I tried Santa Cruz parabolic light strings. Now it is great. I am a cheap skate and have a lot of D’Addario EXP to use up, but I may have to order more SC for the Taylor

Last edited by whvick; 10-24-2020 at 11:53 AM.
Old 10-24-2020, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayheyjeff View Post
I do find it takes them a day or so to settle down. The fact that they last so long means I have fewer string changes. How nice is that?

Jeff
Yes, initially pretty bright. I for one like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triggs View Post
I just strung up my Guild F30 with a set of the SC low tensions. Very impressed with them so far. On this guitar, they are somewhat dark and warm. Looking forward to seeing how they sound on my Furch OM, and Taylor 612
Let us know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Z View Post
So, if they work for more than 3 weeks, I‘d be happy.
Going on week six with them and, like a fine wine, they sound better and better. I'm going to keep them on for 3 months just to see what they do. Even if I pay that price quarterly, $88 a year for stringing one guitar is really not bad considering how good they sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
I tried a set of GHS Thin Core strings and I love them. Sound good, feel low tension, amazing. My own question is being they are thin core, will they break easy...You might want to give them a try at around $7.50 a pack.
I also have a set of those to try based on probably the same threads you read . I have liked GHS in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whvick View Post
My 414 was “meh” til I tried Santa Cruz parabolic light strings. Now it is great. I am a cheap skate and have a lot of D’Addario EXP to use up, but I may have to order more SC for the Taylor
I've now tried them on a 3rd guitar and they have been very good, but on this last guitar they are fantastic (Journey OF660). I love everything about them.
Old 10-24-2020, 02:48 PM
Eric Skye

I like the "Mids" a lot
Old 10-24-2020, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
I like the "Mids" a lot
Yep- appreciate your comment Eric

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion