The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-19-2020, 04:19 PM

Default The Schertler AG6/S-mic for recording

For live playing I have a Schertler AG6 pickup with the S-mic added which I blend in to maybe 20%. Any more than that and it feeds back because it is an omnidirectional mic right in the most feedback prone spot: the soundhole. It is however, also designed to be used at a 100% for recording. I don’t like the sound as much as an external mic, but it does one advantage and that is that it picks up very little vocal, whereas every external mic I’ve tried so far picks up as much vocal as guitar.

Anyway, I did a recording today with the AG6/S-mic on the guitar and a LDC on my vocal. There is some guitar on the vocal mic, but it does give a realistic example of what you get in this situation:

https://youtu.be/t-7VRHeCGow
Old 10-20-2020, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

I know you want to do things a certain way, but I think that song is one that would really benefit from tracking guitar and vocals individually. The guitar arrangement is great but I get the feeling the focus that arrangement requires is distracting you from delivering the solid vocal performance you're capable of producing.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 10-20-2020, 05:58 PM

Well like many musicians these days, I am interested in two different types of recording: polished studio recordings with pristine audio audio, and simple videos with uncomplicated setups that capture a live or home performance to share on YouTube and Facebook. This was one of the latter.

On a polished studio recording I would agree that recording everything separately gives the best quality. Usually this type of recording wouldn’t include video or be a cover.

For this type of video, I am really trying to meet a different criteria. I want it to look uncluttered, with a clear view of my hands. I am trying to avoid multiple mic stands and extra cables, baffles, and extraneous stuff. I just want viewing it to feel like you came over to my place and I played a tune I like for you.

I just started a new thread about the subject of YouTube vs. Studio recording approaches here because I think it is an interesting subject worthy of it’s own discussion:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...acebook video.

Last edited by lkingston; 10-21-2020 at 08:12 AM.
Old 10-21-2020, 06:36 AM

That's a the link for this thread.
Old 10-21-2020, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
That's a the link for this thread.
Fixed it. Thanks.
Old 10-26-2020, 04:54 PM

I just re-recorded this tune, mainly to bring it up a step in order to have less “dad voice” singing in the higher key.

The guitar is the Schertler AG-6 pickup with the S-mic turned all the way up. The voice is a Shure SM-7B with a FetHead. Both are going into my Zoom H6. I added a little reverb in the editor.

I think this is going to be my default guitar-n-vocal setup for YouTube videos going forward. Unlike every other method I’ve tried, the guitar track is almost completely free of vocal, and with the mic turned all the way up, I don’t hear the magnetic pickup.

The SM7B is almost completely free of room ambience, and I like the uncluttered look with the cables all going straight down out of frame. Nothing blocks my hands and face.

The sound isn’t perfect, but I like it. It’s an easy setup and appropriate sound for this type of social media video.

O https://youtu.be/UjLdOCJw6u4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD