The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-10-2020, 12:27 PM
Guest 33123

Default Gefell M92.1S users?

Hi guys,

What are your thoughts on this tube LDC?

http://www.economik.com/gefell/m92-1s/

Last edited by Guest 33123; 10-10-2020 at 12:49 PM.
Old 10-10-2020, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

I'm curious as to how that mic popped up on your radar. You are literally the first person I've ever seen mention it and I have more microphone conversations than I care to admit.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 10-10-2020, 12:37 PM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
I'm curious as to how that mic popped up on your radar. You are literally the first person I've ever seen mention it and I have more microphone conversations than I care to admit.
Searching Studio Economik's website on a lazy Saturday afternoon. I'm not allowed to play guitar. Physiotherapist's orders. I'll be buying a set of M300s next year so Gefell mics are on my radar more now. Interested in what people thought of their tube LDCs. There is more talk online of it's multipattern brother, the UM92.1S. They feature the M7 capsule.

Last edited by Guest 33123; 10-10-2020 at 12:49 PM.
Old 10-10-2020, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

Some years ago I bought a M-Audio Sputnik Tube Microphone as it got very good reviews and the price was right. Also was thinking the LD tube mike might tame some of the harshness that can occur on the trebles.

Problem is I really did not like having to use the mike's separate power supply and the fairly long warm up period the tube needed to settle down. Also if you are not careful powering up the mike in the right way you can fry the tube. In short I do not use it.

On the other hand if you spend the amount of money for what a UM92.1S costs you will probably easily find justification for using it a fair amount.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 10-10-2020, 01:27 PM

If it matters to you, most big tube/transformer LDC's impart this "meatball" of non-muddy low-mid heft that people tend to love, especially on their voices. The M92.1 is one that doesn't.

Couch Standards
Old 10-10-2020, 01:28 PM

It is a very highly regarded mic. If you search it, you won’t see many people at all say otherwise.
‘20 Gibson 1960 Hummingbird reissue
‘16 Gibson Hummingbird Avant Guard (gigging guitar)

Note to self: Never play a guitar you aren’t willing to buy.
Old 10-10-2020, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

It's a well respected vocal mic. I borrowed one years ago and found it adequate for solo fingerstyle acoustic guitar, but like many vocal mics, it was a bit over the top...not as plain, accurate, linear or authentic as some other mics.

Older M91.2 mics have an issue with RF interference. There is a simple and inexpensive mod to fix this completely. There's an older thread on Gearslutz about this.
Old 10-10-2020, 02:10 PM
Guest 33123

Thanks guys. It would be used as a vocal mic.

Looks like this is the non-tube equivalent in their lineup:

http://www.economik.com/gefell/mt71s/

Last edited by Guest 33123; 10-10-2020 at 03:28 PM.
Old 10-11-2020, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
Thanks guys. It would be used as a vocal mic.

Looks like this is the non-tube equivalent in their lineup:
I have no first hand knowledge of either of those specific mics.

First is this for your personal vocal or as a studio vocal mic for multiple singers coming to you to record ?

In in general, The good news is , If you are considering a primary Vocal mic in that price range say $2500 to $3500 there is a fairly large number of great options .

And with a personal vocal mic so very very much depends on the sound of your particular voice. The Bad news is you never really know until you try them on your voice.
And therein lies the conundrum, and the bad news ,,, the complex logistics of being able to try different ones, especially now in the covid, era.

So If I were searching for a vocal mic today for me. I would first attempt to establish a general base line of my voice Range - Bass, Baritone, Tenor, Alto, Mezzo-Soprano, and Soprano. and or a mix (I would describe mine as kind of a high baritone lower tenor) then perhaps what known singer characteristically do you sound like ( even sort of). then try to get suggestions based on those general baselines.

If its a general purpose studio vocal mic then I would think (but do not know personally as I do not record other people) But I would think a fairly neutral uncolored mic could be a good bet tube or FET.

The Good news is that in that price range you are most likely not going to go drastically wrong. Only that the one for you may be a bit elusive.

For me I know a modern U87 ai, actually sounds pretty good with my voice . I have sung through one vintage U47 that was outstanding but at $9000 + not going to happen.
I sang through 3 different 47 -ish modern mic's, that were all perfectly acceptable but did not really grab me.

My first high end LDC that I purchased was an FET Brauner Phantom V (somewhat like an 87 but a bit flatter response curve) I then had the chance to audition side by side and ADK 67 and 251 and ultimately chose the 251 for my voice. It is IMO outstanding for my voice ,,, However it is a bit crisp in the very high end (which gives it outstanding "air" and presence) BUT I have to be carful, because the natural rasp in my voice can easily slip into sounding sibilant and somewhat distorted (which is also true for the 87ai, and the Brauner). Especially If I forgo the wind screen .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 10-11-2020 at 08:45 AM.
Old 10-11-2020, 09:01 AM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I have no first hand knowledge of either of those specific mics.

First is this for your personal vocal or as a studio vocal mic for multiple singers coming to you to record ?

In in general, The good news is , If you are considering a primary Vocal mic in that price range say $2500 to $3500 there is a fairly large number of great options .

And with a personal vocal mic so very very much depends on the sound of your particular voice. The Bad news is you never really know until you try them on your voice.
And therein lies the conundrum, and the bad news ,,, the complex logistics of being able to try different ones, especially now in the covid, era.

So If I were searching for a vocal mic today for me. I would first attempt to establish a general base line of my voice Range - Bass, Baritone, Tenor, Alto, Mezzo-Soprano, and Soprano. and or a mix (I would describe mine as kind of a high baritone lower tenor) then perhaps what known singer characteristically do you sound like ( even sort of). then try to get suggestions based on those general baselines.

If its a general purpose studio vocal mic then I would think (but do not know personally as I do not record other people) But I would think a fairly neutral uncolored mic could be a good bet tube or FET.

The Good news is that in that price range you are most likely not going to go drastically wrong. Only that the one for you may be a bit elusive.

For me I know a modern U87 ai, actually sounds pretty good with my voice . I have sung through one vintage U47 that was outstanding but at $9000 + not going to happen.
I sang through 3 different 47 -ish modern mic's, that were all perfectly acceptable but did not really grab me.

My first high end LDC that I purchased was an FET Brauner Phantom V (somewhat like an 87 but a bit flatter response curve) I then had the chance to audition side by side and ADK 67 and 251 and ultimately chose the 251 for my voice. It is IMO outstanding for my voice ,,, However it is a bit crisp in the very high end (which gives it outstanding "air" and presence) BUT I have to be carful, because the natural rasp in my voice can easily slip into sounding sibilant and somewhat distorted (which is also true for the 87ai, and the Brauner). Especially If I forgo the wind screen .
Thanks for all the great info Kev! This would be a personal vocal mic. My vocal range on a good day mostly resembles Matthew Sweet. It is compressing as I get older though.

Last edited by Guest 33123; 10-11-2020 at 09:07 AM.
Old 10-11-2020, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
Thanks for all the great info Kev! This would be a personal vocal mic. My vocal range on a good day mostly resembles Matthew Sweet. It is compressing as I get older though.
Just listened to him so with that characteristic which I think is more or less tenor and fairly clear and present, so I am guessing your voice will work with a number of different mics (perhaps people who have recorded multiple singers can chime in on this with more expertise ) But I am (speculating only and could be wrong) that you could go with neutral to somewhat darker colored like a modern version of a 47 or 67

My voice is just a bit more muffled and a bit lower and I thinks needs the mic to be more mid high end focused

But I think both the Brauner FET and the ADK 251 work well with my voice

Here are some examples of both
Now If I could just get my guitar playing cleaner ... so just ignore that and listen to the vocals

Brauner

ADK Z Mod 251

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 10-11-2020, 12:24 PM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Just listened to him so with that characteristic which I think is more or less tenor and fairly clear and present, so I am guessing your voice will work with a number of different mics (perhaps people who have recorded multiple singers can chime in on this with more expertise ) But I am (speculating only and could be wrong) that you could go with neutral to somewhat darker colored like a modern version of a 47 or 67

My voice is just a bit more muffled and a bit lower and I thinks needs the mic to be more mid high end focused

But I think both the Brauner FET and the ADK 251 work well with my voice

Here are some examples of both
Now If I could just get my guitar playing cleaner ... so just ignore that and listen to the vocals

Brauner

ADK Z Mod 251

Thanks again Kev.

Last edited by Guest 33123; 10-11-2020 at 08:25 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD