The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-02-2023, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
I think you can also get a 24.5" scale, but it's another $350 to go up from the 24" default on the X7. Adds up quick.
Right - which is why I asked the question about what ‘short scale’ actually is.

An X20 with a capo at the first or second fret might actually be the most economical means of achieving the desired geometry with Emerald. I don’t think any other maker has comparable flexibility.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 01-02-2023, 09:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
Can you be more specific about what you mean by ‘short’ and ‘long’ scale? The numbers I always think of are 24.9” and 25.5”, but I don’t believe there’s a universally accepted definition.

The reason I ask is that you can get a 24” Emerald X7 with a 1 13/16” nut width for $1950 (base) + $450 (upcharge) - but 24” may very well be shorter than you would be happy with.
I just was on the Emerald website exploring the X7. A 24" scale would be okay, but a 24.5 or even 25 would work better for me. However, the 0/parlor size wouldn't be what I'd be looking for. The X20 is more the body size I'd be interested in as it's closer to the 000 I'd mentioned in my original post here. The reason I was looking for a carbon fiber stock guitar with my preferred specs was to stay away from the custom/upcharge money that would be involved in the purchase.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Eastman T386SB
Aria Sinsonido AS-100C/SPL (customized to steel string)
Mid 1930’s Kay Kraft Deluxe K2 archtop
Seagull S12 converted to 6 string lap slide
Takamine TF740FS
2008 Pono PGKC (flamed Hawaiian Koa 0 cutaway)
Old 01-02-2023, 10:02 PM
Charter Member

Ah, an X20. The shorter scale would be an uncharge. But I'd bet you could get your wider string spacing by just asking them to space out the nut slots as you wish. The X20 in particular has too much empty space from the E or e to the fretboard edge (IMHO). I know some have tried to get Emerald to shave the neck width down because of that, but I believe they no longer do that.

Here is a comparison of the neck of the X20 and a Larrivee 00-40, both guitars have the same scale length and string spacing at the nut. This is at the 7th fret:

Neck width at F7 Emerald vs Larrivee.jpg

The X20 has a fair amount of extra space. You could ask Emerald to leave the nut width the same, but space out the slots. I've not tried that, but it would be an easy thing to do. For that matter, you could either do it yourself if you have some nut files, or ask a tech to do it.

But, still there is the upcharge for short scale. The CF world is not yet perfect. If Emerald made a 12-fret X-20 I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushwood View Post
I just was on the Emerald website exploring the X7. A 24" scale would be okay, but a 24.5 or even 25 would work better for me. However, the 0/parlor size wouldn't be what I'd be looking for. The X20 is more the body size I'd be interested in as it's closer to the 000 I'd mentioned in my original post here. The reason I was looking for a carbon fiber stock guitar with my preferred specs was to stay away from the custom/upcharge money that would be involved in the purchase.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 01-02-2023, 11:24 PM

Quote:
But, still there is the upcharge for short scale. The CF world is not yet perfect. If Emerald made a 12-fret X-20 I'd buy one in a heartbeat.
I've been asking for one of these (stock) for years. I don't think Emerald would have any difficulty selling them if they would do the mold. Short scale guitars have become very popular in recent years.
Old 01-03-2023, 12:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ah, an X20. The shorter scale would be an uncharge. But I'd bet you could get your wider string spacing by just asking them to space out the nut slots as you wish. The X20 in particular has too much empty space from the E or e to the fretboard edge (IMHO). I know some have tried to get Emerald to shave the neck width down because of that, but I believe they no longer do that.

Here is a comparison of the neck of the X20 and a Larrivee 00-40, both guitars have the same scale length and string spacing at the nut. This is at the 7th fret:

Attachment 85418

The X20 has a fair amount of extra space. You could ask Emerald to leave the nut width the same, but space out the slots. I've not tried that, but it would be an easy thing to do. For that matter, you could either do it yourself if you have some nut files, or ask a tech to do it.

As I’ve mentioned before, I can carve a new nut for wider string spacing if needed, but I still would not want anything less than 1.80 as an actual nut width with a preference for 1 13/16”. I’d much rather have a 1 7/8” actual nut width than a 1.75”. Also, to add another monkey wrench in hunt...my preference for string spacing at the bridge is 2 5/16” which kinda is the go to with a 1 13/16” nut width acoustic guitar. These specs as well as the previous ones I’ve listed aren’t that hard to find in a wooden acoustic guitar, but it looks like to get this on a carbon fiber one is asking too much without paying mucho for a custom one...if that even exists.
Eastman T386SB
Aria Sinsonido AS-100C/SPL (customized to steel string)
Mid 1930’s Kay Kraft Deluxe K2 archtop
Seagull S12 converted to 6 string lap slide
Takamine TF740FS
2008 Pono PGKC (flamed Hawaiian Koa 0 cutaway)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber