The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-25-2022, 08:55 PM
Charter Member

Default Does a short scale carbon fiber guitar with a 1 13/16” nut width exist?

I’ve poked around the web and don’t seem to see any short scale, six string, 1 13/16 “ nut width carbon fiber guitars floating around. 000 size would be cool as well, but that may be asking way too much. Not really interested in less than 1.80” nut width. Any suggestions on options without special ordering a custom build?
Thanks all and happy holidays!
Eastman T386SB
Aria Sinsonido AS-100C/SPL (customized to steel string)
Mid 1930’s Kay Kraft Deluxe K2 archtop
Seagull S12 converted to 6 string lap slide
Takamine TF740FS
2008 Pono PGKC (flamed Hawaiian Koa 0 cutaway)
Old 12-25-2022, 09:12 PM
Charter Member

I'd suspect that you might be able to order that on an Emerald...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 12-25-2022, 09:26 PM
Charter Member

You might check with RainSong or Emerald to see if they can do a 12-string neck and nut width on a short scale guitar, with 6 strings. Just trying to think of options that might not put you into the custom bucks.
Old 12-25-2022, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
You might check with RainSong or Emerald to see if they can do a 12-string neck and nut width on a short scale guitar, with 6 strings. Just trying to think of options that might not put you into the custom bucks.
Rainsong can't. They have four neck molds, and a short scale 12 is not one of the molds.

Emerald can do any scale and width, but there is a considerable upcharge.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 12-26-2022, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushwood View Post
I’ve poked around the web and don’t seem to see any short scale, six string, 1 13/16 “ nut width carbon fiber guitars floating around. 000 size would be cool as well, but that may be asking way too much. Not really interested in less than 1.80” nut width. Any suggestions on options without special ordering a custom build?
Emerald can do that .. if if it's not on the 3D builder.. they can modify the build . I had them do several modifications that were not listed .
Old 12-27-2022, 01:31 AM
Charter Member

yes, Emerald. But their upcharge is considerable.
Old 12-27-2022, 08:35 AM
Charter Member

Just reminding folks that the OP was looking for something "without special ordering" and the upcharge. With that in mind: no, I don't think that exists as a stock model. But, if you are willing to invest, Emerald may be an option.
Old 12-29-2022, 09:42 PM
Charter Member

Thanks to all for your suggestions and input. I guess I’ll just have to wait until those who make carbon fiber guitars realize there’s most likely a decent market out there for short scale, wide nut (1.80” or more) 6 string guitars.
Eastman T386SB
Takamine TF740FS
Old 12-29-2022, 09:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks to all for your suggestions and input. I guess I’ll just have to wait until those who make carbon fiber guitars realize there’s most likely a decent market out there for short scale, wide nut (1.80” or more) 6 string guitars.
While you're waiting, there is another avenue you might consider. I've found that many guitars have more room than needed between the outer strings and the edge of the fretboard - to the point that it's difficult for me to wrap my thumb around on the low E. A solution is to make a new nut (or have one made) with a wider spacing that brings the outer strings closer to the fretboard edge. And of course it also increases the inter-string spacing.

I did that on my Journey OF660:
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=651921

and gained 1/8" in string spacing. That might be too much for some, but even if you went half that you could get the string spacing of a 1-13/16" nut, without waiting for manufacturers to come to their senses .
Old 12-30-2022, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
I've found that many guitars have more room than needed between the outer strings and the edge of the fretboard - to the point that it's difficult for me to wrap my thumb around on the low E.
Some people do need that room. I am one of them. It reduces the chance of the high E string slipping past the fret when playing legato.
I never felt the need to wrap my thumb around but different folks, different strokes I guess.

As a solution that allows for both techniques, has anyone ever thought of an asymmetrical nut with more room at the high E and less room at the low E?
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 01-02-2023, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Unlike wood guitars with a vast number of makers, carbon fibre guitars have a tiny market, tricky processes and very very few makers with small capacity. It’s unlikely that any of them will chase the 1.80” short scale market.

Emerald has been somewhat willing to do a few technical mods but they charge a hefty premium.

Are you looking for a wider string spacing, a wider fretboard, a beefy neck, or a combination? That 1.80” is a titch wider than 1.75”: 1.5mm or a layer or so of carbon fibre cloth. Wasn’t there an old advert about a silly millimetre longer?

>> For a wider spacing, folks have responded above on modifying nut spacing. This is a practical solution.

>>To get a wider neck you could start with an existing shorter scale neck:
- Emerald offer the sub medium 14” wide body X7 with 24” x 1.75” neck
- RainSong offers all sized bodies with the no cost options 24.9” x 1.75” NS neck
- KLOS offers the “full size” 15” wide body with 24.75” x 1 11/16” neck; as wood hybrid or all carbon
- Journey Instruments sub medium 13-14” body width 24.5” x 1.75” neck
- Lava Me travel sub medium 23.6” x 1.69” neck

>> The easiest way (hah) to widen a carbon fibre neck is to wrap a layer(s) of additional carbon fibre cloth after it comes out of the mold and before finishing.

Perhaps this is how Emerald does it.

For other makers a local craftsman might be persuaded to do the de-fretting wrapping, refinishing and re-fretting. It won’t be inexpensive and most likely no one will attempt or warrant the job.

>> For the KLOS detachable hybrid wooden neck you might be able to sweet talk them into carving the neck wider, but less likely if it’s made by a CNC robot cutter. (I saw photos of a KLOS with custom 4 string tenor neck). A local guitar maker or guitar tech could make a new wider neck same as for a wood guitar.

Cheers.
2014 Fender Concert Pro (New Hartford) - red spruce, mahogany
Old 01-02-2023, 03:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
I've found that many guitars have more room than needed between the outer strings and the edge of the fretboard - to the point that it's difficult for me to wrap my thumb around on the low E.
Amen, Kevin, Amen! Larrivee is the only mainstream company now cutting their nuts with a more outward string-spacing that makes thumb-fretting easier. Taylor also does something similar with their nuts and outward string-spacing but not quite as much outward as Larrivee.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 01-02-2023, 05:41 PM
Charter Member

Thank you for the responses and suggestions. I’ve carved a few bone nuts to expand the string spacing on guitars that measured 1.80” to 1 7/8”. I do like to have the 6th string as close to the edge of the fretboard as possible for thumb use. I also like the frets to have as little bevel as possible to help gain more real estate across the frets to use. The first time I tried this was on an older Seagull guitar which had a typical 1.80 nut width, but, as many know, the original nut was notched for a 1.75” guitar like Seagull likes to do for some reason. It helped immensely. Btw, as Norman Blake has done from time to time, I’m also not opposed to notching the saddle to gain more string spacing there (which I’ve also done before with great results) as long as it works with the fretboard width.
I’d really prefer a “stock” carbon fiber six string short scale guitar with no less than an actual 1.80” nut width...1 13/16” would be even cooler for me. I know there’s a possibility I could get a long scale one with a 1.75” nut width and tune down 1/2 or 1 steps and use a capo on the 1st or 2nd fret to get the short scale and wider nut width, but I’d rather not unless that’s my only choice.
Again, thanks for taking the time to give your thoughts on this.
Eastman T386SB
Takamine TF740FS
Old 01-02-2023, 05:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thank you for the responses and suggestions. I’ve carved a few bone nuts to expand the string spacing on guitars that measured 1.80” to 1 7/8”. I do like to have the 6th string as close to the edge of the fretboard as possible for thumb use. I also like the frets to have as little bevel as possible to help gain more real estate across the frets to use. The first time I tried this was on an older Seagull guitar which had a typical 1.80 nut width, but, as many know, the original nut was notched for a 1.75” guitar like Seagull likes to do for some reason. It helped immensely. Btw, as Norman Blake has done from time to time, I’m also not opposed to notching the saddle to gain more string spacing there (which I’ve also done before with great results) as long as it works with the fretboard width.
I’d really prefer a “stock” carbon fiber six string short scale guitar with no less than an actual 1.80” nut width...1 13/16” would be even cooler for me. I know there’s a possibility I could get a long scale one with a 1.75” nut width and tune down 1/2 or 1 steps and use a capo on the 1st or 2nd fret to get the short scale and wider nut width, but I’d rather not unless that’s my only choice.
Again, thanks for taking the time to give your thoughts on this.
Can you be more specific about what you mean by ‘short’ and ‘long’ scale? The numbers I always think of are 24.9” and 25.5”, but I don’t believe there’s a universally accepted definition.

The reason I ask is that you can get a 24” Emerald X7 with a 1 13/16” nut width for $1950 (base) + $450 (upcharge) - but 24” may very well be shorter than you would be happy with.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 01-02-2023, 06:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
Can you be more specific about what you mean by ‘short’ and ‘long’ scale? The numbers I always think of are 24.9” and 25.5”, but I don’t believe there’s a universally accepted definition.

The reason I ask is that you can get a 24” Emerald X7 with a 1 13/16” nut width for $1950 (base) + $450 (upcharge) - but 24” may very well be shorter than you would be happy with.
I think you can also get a 24.5" scale, but it's another $350 to go up from the 24" default on the X7. Adds up quick.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber