The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-25-2022, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marei View Post
I will be expecting a 00 with a German spruce top and flamed maple back and sides with an incredible flamed maple neck from John Slobod in hopefully the first half of 2023.

Whoa! And good choice! USB chord would proud of your design choices. John is a wizard with maple. I’ve played a few.
Old 12-25-2022, 06:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring View Post
I have my first commissioned order coming up this year. It's an Emerald x20 with custom neck spacing and a nicely figured flame maple with a burst.

Very excited about it.Attachment 85058
They are fascinating guitars but hard to find, at least down my way. Were you able to try a few before you made your selection?
Old 12-25-2022, 06:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
They are fascinating guitars but hard to find, at least down my way. Were you able to try a few before you made your selection?
I own an X7 Nylon that I picked up used and was fortunate enough to have a member here from AGF living nearby that let me have a go on his X20.

I compared it against several of the carbons that I already have (including a Blackbird El Capitan) and really enjoyed the tone and playability but given my preference for a slightly wider neck I figured it was worth going the custom route for the neck.
Old 12-26-2022, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring View Post
I own an X7 Nylon that I picked up used and was fortunate enough to have a member here from AGF living nearby that let me have a go on his X20.

I compared it against several of the carbons that I already have (including a Blackbird El Capitan) and really enjoyed the tone and playability but given my preference for a slightly wider neck I figured it was worth going the custom route for the neck.

I bought an X7 with a 24-25 multi-scale and 1 13/16 nut width - am very happy with it as a travel / worry-free guitar.
Old 12-26-2022, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

Default What custom guitar commissions are you expecting delivery on in 2023?

So many exciting builds already on the calendar for this year, hopefully we’ll get some build threads to follow these along. For my part, I’ll be sharing and taking delivery of:

Wilborn Sidewinder in Mahogany / Adirondack

Halland DC-H in Black & White Ebony / Moon Spruce.
Old 12-26-2022, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcn View Post
I bought an X7 with a 24-25 multi-scale and 1 13/16 nut width - am very happy with it as a travel / worry-free guitar.
Nice! I debated a lot between multi scale and wider neck on my order or ideally both. I think if they had an option for 3/4" multi scale I would have gone for it but in the end I decided the wider nut was the more important for me and I have never tried a 1" before.

I have two 3/4" multi scales (wood) that I really like
Old 01-01-2023, 01:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
John had this incredible set of Braz which I had him sock away for my OM-45.

This is nuts. Good lord.
Old 01-01-2023, 06:24 AM
Charter Member

Hoping to get this in my hands next week. I asked for a straight shooting Dreadnought (Adi/Mahogany). Built by Ciaran McNally.

If it plays as well as it looks it will be worth hearing:

Old 01-01-2023, 01:19 PM

I’ll should be getting a new Marchione soon. Can’t wait! It’ll likely be the last guitar I buy. I’m selling all of my electric and acoustic gear to afford it. I’m simplifying my life. I will be down to the new guitar and my old SCGC OMC that I’ve played for thousands of hours as a backup/cheap guitar.
Old 01-01-2023, 07:55 PM

I am expecting a classical from a local Vietnamese Luthier called QUYET GUITAR https://www.facebook.com/guitarsquyet.pham.

My custom build will be using a set of Dalbergia cochinchinensis or Tracwood below and Canadian Cedar

Old 01-01-2023, 10:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leocino_2804 View Post
I am expecting a classical from a local Vietnamese Luthier called QUYET GUITAR https://www.facebook.com/guitarsquyet.pham.

My custom build will be using a set of Dalbergia cochinchinensis or Tracwood below and Canadian Cedar
Wow! Amazing wood!
Old 01-02-2023, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leocino_2804 View Post
My custom build will be using a set of Dalbergia cochinchinensis or Tracwood below
Looks incredible but is that stuff stable? Looks almost flatsawn?
Is your luthier using double sides etc. to protect against this?

Cheers,
Steve
Old 01-02-2023, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
Looks incredible but is that stuff stable? Looks almost flatsawn?
Is your luthier using double sides etc. to protect against this?

Cheers,
Steve
I had the same thought. It's also worth considering the relative humidity where the guitar will live vs. where it's being made. It's highly likely that it's being made in an environment that is much more humid than where it will end up, and that problems will ensue.

And, more importantly, Dalbergia cochinchinensis is on CITES Appendix II, and it seems that Vietnam has banned exports until at least 2027: https://cites.org/eng/news/viet-nam-...gered-rosewood so it seems you may not be able to get it out of the country (at least not legally).

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 01-02-2023, 02:22 PM

Does anyone have opinions on a pickup for a nylon crossover? I usually use the K&K Mini on steel strings.
Old 01-02-2023, 03:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
Does anyone have opinions on a pickup for a nylon crossover? I usually use the K&K Mini on steel strings.
I put a James May ultratonic classical in my guitalele that I think sounds fantastic.

If you like K&K this is that on steroids.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop