The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-02-2022, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

Default Rainsong Classic???

I'm still trying to understand Rainsong's new direct to customer marketing strategy and pricing structure. Their prices have gone up considerably over the past 5-8 years, and I suppose they'd like to maximize their profits by eliminating dealerships and dealing directly with customers themselves. Ok I get that; but now I get an email from Rainsong (as follows) about the "Classic Rainsong" that's immediately marked down $500 from $2499 to $1999. Could this be an attempt by Rainsong to compete with their erstwhile dealers, some of whom have smashed prices of leftover RS stock in order to rid themselves of a brand that they can no longer re-order? Interestingly, Rainsong has none in stock and will build them as they are pre-ordered. It reminds me of those self-publishing companies which only print copies of a given book as it's purchased...

Every modern RainSong acoustic traces its heritage to our original WS1000 Classic, our first carbon fiber guitar to feature Projection-tuned Layering. Those Maui-made originals remain a favorite of RainSong collectors worldwide.

The Original 1999 WS1000 Classic Reissue is a nearly spec-for-spec recreation of that iconic carbon fiber guitar. From its woven carbon fiber soundboard to its N1 neck profile and abalone Shark inlays, every detail is accounted for and executed to RainSong's exacting standards.

We outfit each Original 1999 WS1000 Classic Reissue with an LR Baggs Stagepro Element pickup system.

Spec-for-spec reissue of our WS1000 Classic
Woven carbon top
Full carbon fiber construction
Projection Tuned Layering
Venetian cutaway
Abalone rosette
N1 neck profile
Abalone Shark inlays
14-fret construction
25.4" scale length
1.75" nut width
LR Baggs Stagepro Element pickup system
11.5"/15.75"/9.25"/5"/19.5" (Upper Bout/Lower Bout/Waist/Depth/Length)
Hardshell case

*Sale for a limited time only
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 717767_d87866e79ae24a91ae1216c5c318f6a4~mv2.jpg (45.7 KB, 330 views)

Last edited by RP; 11-02-2022 at 06:26 PM.
Old 11-02-2022, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

I saw this notice as well, and was left scratching my head a bit.

After their recent rejiggering, their website was almost beginning to make sense, in that it’s become relatively easy to sort out the four series, and the models available in each. It was also pretty clear that every guitar was ~$3k or more.

Then this appears. Is it a loss leader designed to get people into the brand? If I was CF-curious, I’d have to say that this looks like a screaming good deal for $2k, and I hope they sell lots of them. I’m not following the strategy, though.

But then, I’ve never run a business, let alone a guitar company, so I can wonder all I want
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 11-02-2022, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

David, I'm 100% in agreement with you. Maybe one of our business gurus can explain this to us...
Old 11-02-2022, 04:35 PM

Maybe they're clearing out the cloth they use for the Classic tops?
Old 11-02-2022, 07:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
David, I'm 100% in agreement with you. Maybe one of our business gurus can explain this to us...
Well, I've owned some businesses over the years, but I am not running for the office of "guru." If elected, I will not serve. I have no idea what RainSong's business plan is. It's not the first time they've tossed a less expensive model in their lineup that is guaranteed to cannibalize sales from their more expensive models. My guess would be it is to try to jump-start slow sales. But that is just an outsider's guess. Your mileage may vary. Not valid where prohibited by law. If you are under 18, you must have your parent's permission to read this post. Seriously, not a clue... I will probably save up to get a clue.

I'm Captain Jim, and I approve of this post.
Old 11-02-2022, 07:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Well, I've owned some businesses over the years, but I am not running for the office of "guru." If elected, I will not serve. I have no idea what RainSong's business plan is. It's not the first time they've tossed a less expensive model in their lineup that is guaranteed to cannibalize sales from their more expensive models. My guess would be it is to try to jump-start slow sales. But that is just an outsider's guess. Your mileage may vary. Not valid where prohibited by law. If you are under 18, you must have your parent's permission to read this post. Seriously, not a clue... I will probably save up to get a clue.

I'm Captain Jim, and I approve of this post.
Could this be symptomatic of a company that's trying to jumpstart itself but has limited access to working capital???
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-02-2022, 07:52 PM
Charter Member

I’ve been away for several years, but popped back in the forum because of this. I very much like my WS3000, and have been idly looking at replacing my Shorty LE with a WS1000 with the N1 neck. When this email came in, I jumped!

RainSong prices have gotten too rare for me, I’m a bass player and can’t justify $3K for a guitar. $2K, that’s a stretch but doable.

I’m looking forward to getting mine!

Ken
Emerald Balor 5 string, Taylor GS-Mini Bass, RainSong SGA-FLE, WS1000 Classic N1 and WS3000 N1, Republic Resolian Style 804, Royall Teardrop Tenor Reso
A few electrics, a bunch of basses
Wandering the continent - CA > IL > NH > TX (for good, hopefully)
Old 11-02-2022, 08:03 PM

Wow, I didn't realize I owned a classic!

Rainsong WS 1000
Gibson J45
Martin D12-18
Journey OF660
Beard Copper Mountain Resonator
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Emerald X7
Old 11-02-2022, 08:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
I’ve been away for several years, but popped back in the forum because of this. I very much like my WS3000, and have been idly looking at replacing my Shorty LE with a WS1000 with the N1 neck. When this email came in, I jumped!

RainSong prices have gotten too rare for me, I’m a bass player and can’t justify $3K for a guitar. $2K, that’s a stretch but doable.

I’m looking forward to getting mine!
Please keep us posted once it arrives....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-02-2022, 08:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Please keep us posted once it arrives....
Will do! I suspect it will be a bit, but I may have gotten in early. Seriously, I had mine ordered within ten minutes of getting the email.

It’s too bad that Ashvin doesn’t play here anymore…

Ken
Emerald Balor 5 string, Taylor GS-Mini Bass, RainSong SGA-FLE, WS1000 Classic N1 and WS3000 N1, Republic Resolian Style 804, Royall Teardrop Tenor Reso
Old 11-03-2022, 06:34 AM
Charter Member

This is very interesting! I follow them on FB and e-mail but didn't receive this particular message for some reason...

I'm actually selling my classic DR1000 a/e to buy a WS1000 because I love everything about this guitar except for the body size. It's just a tad too large for me to play sitting down. It's too bad they didn't end up rounding some of the sharp edges though like Emerald did when they went from the traditional dreadnought shape of the T20 to the X20 and X10 etc. I know Rainsong has that WS1000 nst5 or whatever it's called which has the offset soundhole but I never had the chance to play that guitar so can't comment on that body if it's any different to the "classic" WS1000...
Old 11-03-2022, 06:49 AM
Charter Member

The RainSong Classic Series WS1000N1/N2 is my favorite RainSong model as it exemplifies carbon-fiber tone with its wonderful crystalline shimmer and doesn't try to redefine it by trying to sound or look like a wooden guitar.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 11-03-2022, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
The RainSong Classic Series WS1000N1/N2 is my favorite RainSong model as it exemplifies carbon-fiber tone with its wonderful crystalline shimmer and doesn't try to redefine it by trying to sound or look like a wooden guitar.
This. I really like the Black Ice look, but the Classics are what I prefer. I was surprised to see they aren’t in the normal product line anymore.

Ken
Old 11-03-2022, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
This. I really like the Black Ice look, but the Classics are what I prefer. I was surprised to see they aren’t in the normal product line anymore.
I was surprised several years back when Rainsong in quick succession drastically increased the prices of CH models and then discontinued them...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-03-2022, 09:27 AM

Default Love my classic

I really like my 20+year old WS1000. I only recently bought a new OM because the body depth of the WS was getting a bit uncomfortable for me. Got the 10% discount on the OM, but still pretty expensive. I'm really happy with the OM, to me it sounds almost exactly like the WS classic: loud, bright, cuts through the mix, but more comfortable on the couch. It came with 80/20 strings and I just put on a set of phosphor bronze (Elixir nanos), which I've always used on my guitars. I have to say I prefer the 80/20's. The PB's are warmer, but I find I like the brightness of the 80/20's.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber