The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-28-2023, 05:10 PM

Default Can I run my acoustic amp thru my Bose system?

I just acquired a Fender Acoustic Junior and it really sounds great with my Ramirez, Cordoba and Martin.

I do not know a lot about connecting pieces of equipment. I have a Bose L1 Compact amp/PA and a Bose T4S mixer and believe it or not the nylon string guitars sound better thru the acoustic amp even though the T4S allows for all kinds of adjusting.

Is it possible to connect the acoustic amp to my T4S and then run that thru the the L1 so I have the benefit of the bigger speaker system? The acoustic amp has an XLR out and the mixer has 4 combo inputs so can I just plus the XLR cable into one of the those inputs?

I am reluctant to try it without asking the question here because I do not want to blow/burn anything up in the mixer.

Thanks.
Old 01-28-2023, 05:17 PM

It should work . . . just be sure to set your levels properly.
Old 01-28-2023, 07:36 PM

Thanks I will give it a try.
Old 01-29-2023, 07:59 AM

Stacking and combining equipment for large/outdoor events is one of my favorite things to do.

Ala Grateful Dead.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 01-29-2023, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. Power View Post
I just acquired a Fender Acoustic Junior and it really sounds great with my Ramirez, Cordoba and Martin.

I do not know a lot about connecting pieces of equipment. I have a Bose L1 Compact amp/PA and a Bose T4S mixer and believe it or not the nylon string guitars sound better thru the acoustic amp even though the T4S allows for all kinds of adjusting.

Is it possible to connect the acoustic amp to my T4S and then run that thru the the L1 so I have the benefit of the bigger speaker system?

I am reluctant to try it without asking the question here because I do not want to blow/burn anything up in the mixer.

Thanks.
The acoustic amp has an XLR out and the mixer has 4 combo inputs so can I just plus the XLR cable into one of the those inputs?

I would use an XLR to TRS cable (not XLR to XLR) to keep the line level Out of the amp matched to the line level input (1/4 " part ) of the combo input on the PA

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 01-29-2023, 12:07 PM

Thanks and I happen to have one of those cables. There is an Aux in on the back of the T4S. The description in the manual is

"analog input channels 5/6. Accepts 1/4 inch TRS balanced or TS unbalanced cables for line level inputs. Can be used for stereo input signals"

Should I run the amplifier cable into that or one of the regular instrument or microphone inputs. If the latter then what would this 5/6 input be put be used for?

Thank you. It should be obvious by now that I don't have a great understanding of all of these inputs and connections which of course is why I'm here.
Old 01-29-2023, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. Power View Post
Thanks and I happen to have one of those cables. There is an Aux in on the back of the T4S. The description in the manual is

"analog input channels 5/6. Accepts 1/4 inch TRS balanced or TS unbalanced cables for line level inputs. Can be used for stereo input signals"

Should I run the amplifier cable into that or one of the regular instrument or microphone inputs. If the latter then what would this 5/6 input be put be used for?

Thank you. It should be obvious by now that I don't have a great understanding of all of these inputs and connections which of course is why I'm here.

So the clarify it sounds like the 1/4 Aux input is a stereo capable 1/4 (TRS connection) and is channels 5/6 which can be used for either mono (TS) or stereo (TRS) line level input .... It can be used to input any mono or stereo signal from a player to say play music when you are on a break
OR if you or have, or someone playing with you that has an electric keyboard (for example)that output is often stereo and you would plug that in there.

With an XLR to 1/4 cable you could plug your amp into either a combo jack or the Aux in jack ... I would probably use the Aux input unless you have some other stereo input you want to plug in...

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 01-29-2023, 01:35 PM
Charter Member

John;

I wouldn't be so quick to give up on using just the T4s into your Compact. My experience with my own T1 into my Bose L1 Model II has been that all those acoustic guitar presets are quite misleading... they "might" give you the sound you want, but I've always just tried different patches until I found one that sounded good to me. You might try tonematch settings for a dreadnought with UST and it could sound just great... so, it is a bit of a "rabbit hole", to be sure, but I KNOW you'll find something that sounds better than the acoustic amp feeding into the Bose. That would take one piece of gear out of your signal chain, which, to me, is always a bonus for the overall sound.

I use the "overall" flat setting on the Tonematch; NOT the "acoustic guitar flat" setting. When I had the Anthem SL pickups in my 6 and 12 string guitars, that setting worked really well for me, with a minimum of EQ needed.

Another thing is, turn off EVERY other effect until you get an acoustic sound you like - then go ahead and add in reverb or delay or what-have-you to your preference. It's easy to get confused when you're running a bunch of different effects but what you really want is to just get a good tone from the guitar... so, start with that and work forward.

Hope this helps... but you can easily run a line from that amp into one of the channels on your mixer, if need be.

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 01-29-2023, 07:46 PM

Thanks to everyone for the ideas. I did run the XLR out of the Fender into 5/6 (actually 6) on the mixer and it worked but I had to plug a headphone into the Fender (just the jack) to silence it. This was more of a project so to speak for me to see if it could be done. I can always use the Fender amp to get the sound I want but I will fool around with other tone match settings that I think would never work with my Cordoba or Ramirez and see what I get.

On another note no pun intended this Fender acoustic junior is really a wonderful amplifier. I had the Fishman Loudbox Mini and sold it once I got this because I just liked the tone from my nylon string guitars better through the Fender
Old 02-01-2023, 10:15 AM
Charter Member

I've combined systems for larger or outdoor gigs for years with a lot of success. It sounds like you may be making it more difficult that it needs to be though. I've always run my guitars and vocals into my amp (I'm using Loudbox amps right now, but I did this with a Fender Acoustic 100 for quite a while) and mix everything there and then take the XLR DI out from the amp into either my S1 Pro or L1 Compact. There really isn't a need for the external mixer.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 02-02-2023, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Mick View Post
I've combined systems for larger or outdoor gigs for years with a lot of success. It sounds like you may be making it more difficult that it needs to be though. I've always run my guitars and vocals into my amp (I'm using Loudbox amps right now, but I did this with a Fender Acoustic 100 for quite a while) and mix everything there and then take the XLR DI out from the amp into either my S1 Pro or L1 Compact. There really isn't a need for the external mixer.
Yep, I use an S-1 Pro (2 mic inpunts) and will just line out to an L1-Compact. Then I can line out of the L1-Compact into my Carvin AG100D. Then.....

Those little Fender Rumble bass amps are light, cheap, and pretty darned good little acoustic amps, too. Not for vocals, but acoustic guitars sound pretty good through them.

Experiment. It's fun.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification