The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-11-2018, 03:00 AM

Default Help with practice routine

Hi Guys, so Ive been playing Acoustic since June last year and electric since October. I practice at least 1-2 hrs a day and am happy overall with my progress, but I tend to not stick to any sort of practice routine.
So currently for electric guitar Im doing the Justin Guitars Blues lead 1 course, Andy guitars Electric rock lead guitar course and a blues course on six string guitar.

Problem is I tend to swap and change a lot. I might do a lesson from Justins course 1 night, but the next night will do an Andy guitar lesson or six string., So then when I go back to Justins lesson a few days later I still havent learnt the riffs from that lesson. I tend to swap and change because I feel like I want to learn as much as possible. Should I be sticking to just one lesson and keep repeating the riffs or whatever in that lesson until Ive got it down pat? I just find I cant wait to see whats next to learn.

With acoustic guitar I basically learnt the chords from chord sheets and then played songs along to roff station web until it was shut down about a month ago. So I havent done any lessons for acoustic but I know a lot of chords and can play over 70 songs from Riffstation including bar chords. However with acoustic I want to take the next step and maybe start doing finger picking etc.

Anyway I suppose Im not really sure what my practice routine should be. I say okay Im going to do Justins Blues lead 1 course from start to finish and make sure Ive mastered every action before moving on. But then boredom sets in and I find myself wanting to go on to something else.

Any tips on setting up a proper practice routine and if I should just stick to one set of lessons or is it ok to switch and change it around?
Old 06-11-2018, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

Learn a number of fingerstyle tunes. That is where it is at.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 06-11-2018, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

To do everything I want on guitar I need a 36 hour day. It's tough when you have a bunch of things you want to learn but annoying things like work and family slow you down, lol.

See if you can do the two lead lessons on the same day. Then it might be possible to do three days of blues and 4 days of lead work one week, then swap it the next. Just keep track of where you left off for each lesson. I would do consecutive days with each style, i.e. 2 acoustic, 2 lead, 1 acoustic, 2 lead, 2 acoustic, etc. Or just do 2 days acoustic, 2 days lead and forget about weeks.

Working on two different styles is going to take a good amount of dedication.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 06-11-2018, 10:58 AM

What ever method you choose, you need to rest it periodically to allow your brain to absorb and understand what you've learned. It also allows for it to move into long term memory.

Ed
Old 06-12-2018, 04:43 AM

Thanks gents... I agree TBman I would be an awesome guitar player if it wasnt for work and my family.lol. Im 49 and my kids dont live with me so some weekends Ive spent nearly all day Saturday playing guitar and learning.

Edgar Poe I agree with you fully and I find that if im trying to learn something that its usually the next day when I come back that I find I can play it better. Maybe I need to do 1 day of lead, 1 day of acoustic instead of doing both on the same day.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write