The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-09-2017, 05:30 AM

Default Compact tube-like pedal

Hi,
I have in my "arsenal" of equipment an Yamaha THR5A which is awesome. For the ones of my own songs where I hit the strings pretty hard I really, really like the "Tube" amp simulation setting as it gives me a very nice overdrive without sounding as an distorted guitar. Can anyone recommend a compact (preferably mini/micro format) which give me a nice tube like limitation/overdrive similar to what I get from the THR5A tube setting?

Edit: It could also be a compact multifx unit suitable for an acoustic with a tube-like pre-amp stage.

Edit 2: I'm also having some hopes with the Vox VX50AG that it will be able to produce something similar in a more powerful package. But I haven't been able to try it out yet (the have it in one of the stores here in Stockholm, but they don't have a power supply for it :P). Anyone tried it?

Thanks in advance!
Per, Stockholm

Last edited by Per Burström; 12-09-2017 at 05:37 AM.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:10 AM

There is a tube/microphone modelling in a Behringer ADI21 preamp which can give you some grit.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:27 AM

Hi,

you can get it only used: Hartke AGX Acoustic Attack. Wonderful DI, preamp with parametric mids and tube emulation.

Great.

cu

erniecaster

Last edited by Kerbie; 12-09-2017 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Removed masked profanity
Old 12-09-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsum View Post
There is a tube/microphone modelling in a Behringer ADI21 preamp which can give you some grit.
I actually have an ADI21, but I haven't used it much. But I gave it another try now, and I can't really say that I get the "gentle distortion" I'm after.

What do you think about the tube screamer-type of pedals for acoustic guitar? I have tried the Boss BD-2 in a music store, but I feel it gave me a bit too much distortion... but I think the setup I got in the store messed it up for me. I consider getting the Valeton Coral Tube Engine (or similar inexpensive device).

Cheers,
Per
Old 12-09-2017, 02:53 PM

From what you're saying you need a proper distortion pedal. I don't have any experience in using one on acoustics.
You might know that but LR Baggs Session DI features saturation designed for acoustics, when you really crank it up you get kind of distortion as shown in the video:

Old 12-09-2017, 02:54 PM

The video is not working above but that's the link:

https://youtu.be/C7WPCcxAoIM?t=2m58s

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
thr5a, tube