The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-09-2017, 08:15 AM

Default Vocal and Guitar Units - Boss VE-8 vs TCH Play Acoustic

The TCH VP has been out for a number of years and has always gotten great reviews. Then last summer ('16) the Boss VE-8 came on the scene ... But there is so much less talk about this model both here and on the 'net.

I have read all the threads and watched the videos...
Seems the consensus is the VP has the edge .. but very slightly.

I bought the TCH VP other day. I gotta say it sounds great and I'm just getting into tweaking it and checking all the functions. So far I am enjoying the sound.

When I listened to this Video comparison, I actually liked the Guitar sound on the Boss better. Vocals on the Boss sounded less "processed" and natural too.

https://youtu.be/N5Q8wxph--s

So my Gearhead side of me is wondering about the VE-8.... I especially like the multi-outputs and the addition of separate knobs. Seems it is more versatile from a I/O and control on-the-fly perspective.

But, in the end.... I am wondering if after all is said and done and all the settings are set. Which one would be a better fit for my needs.

So hoping some Boss users will chime in...Or anyone that has comment on sound and functionality of each.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:09 PM

I like my VE-8 a lot. It checks most of the same boxes as the Play Acoustic. What made me chose the VE-8 was the following:

1) Battery power option.
2) Both 1/4" and XLR outputs. This is really nice if you want to send your guitar to an acoustic amp, your voice to a PA, and use the looping function with the separate audio routings.
3) Standard 9v power supply input. I use a 1 Spot with an extra long heavy duty cable.
Old 07-09-2017, 04:56 PM

Thanks Kingston.

I really like the flexibility of multi type of outputs .. Also running on batteries could be a bonus.

Just curious what you think of the looper... Some have complained that you have to tap the switch 2x to stop? The VP's looper isn't perfect either...having to hit 2 switches to engage.
Old 07-09-2017, 06:31 PM

I've been going back and forth about getting a VE-8. I like most of what it offers and I like knobs better than menus for changing common settings. The only thing I really wish it had was delays and slapback echo on the vocals which I use often. Just don't have much use for 'Radio', 'Dist', and 'Electric' for what I play. Otherwise it seems better designed with more thought put into it for connectability and function.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:55 PM

TC have a number of drawbacks. The first is vocal processing tone and soft pitch correct, very weak. Lack of battery option. Lack of using standard 9 V for your pedal board. Terrible doubling and the harmony is okay but next to a Boss, nada.

No comparison. Boss has nailed the vocal processing down tight.
Old 07-10-2017, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
Thanks Kingston.

I really like the flexibility of multi type of outputs .. Also running on batteries could be a bonus.

Just curious what you think of the looper... Some have complained that you have to tap the switch 2x to stop? The VP's looper isn't perfect either...having to hit 2 switches to engage.

I've only played with the looper, so the following is just a looper beginners opinion:

The single button looper thing sucks. I got an external pedal for the stop/clear function.

What I like is that the guitar and vocal loops are separate. If you have your guitar through an amp and your vocal through the PA system, the vocal loop portion will be through the PA, and the guitar loop through your amp.

Negatives include no undo and just one loop.
Old 07-10-2017, 12:40 AM

Nice review / comparison here:

https://medium.com/@tsmiller/tc-heli...w-a3242cdc1dfb
Old 07-10-2017, 06:59 AM

Thanks Guys for the input.

From my experience with tech and audio gear... Often times it comes down to splitting hairs. Everything in this top brand territory these days sounds really really good. We know both Boss and TCH know their stuff.

The review above is the same guy from the video I posted in the first post.

He really seems to favor TCH VP's Vocal and Harmony sounds.. Especially the ease of use.

He also seems to find fault with the Boss's functionality .. Stating the Knobs and tiny screen are harder to use than the VP buttons. In addition, he said the sub-menus on the boss are hard to use without the manual. Although, he didn't say how Easy the Boss was to tweak on the fly.. vs the TCH.

He did give the positive nod to the Boss on Guitar tone. Stating the Acoustic Resonance feature sounded more natural than the Bodyrez.

To me the multiple outputs are my "hot button"... Just seems like TCH dropped the ball on this section.

But ease of use and sound quality matter as well...

So I really want to give the VE-8 a try. Perhaps just bite the bullet and pick one up and compare for myself.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:33 AM

Default Vocal and Guitar Units - Boss VE-8 vs TCH Play Acoustic

The Boss has a couple of different page where the knobs and switches do double and triple duty for things like EQ and switch and output assignments without labeling. You pretty much have to keep a PDF manual on your phone. I would say the Play Acoustic wins here.

The VE-8 does have a delay on the guitar. I've read reviews that say it lacks control there, but you just have to read the manual to find the speed and delay feedback controls.

There is no delay on the vocal, just four types of reverb (one of which they call "ambience"). The Play Acoustic wins here.

As far as sound quality goes, I think they are both about the same.

I chose the VE-8 because of the battery and extra 1/4" outputs. I would have preferred the Play Acoustic's user interface.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:16 AM

Powering the 12v Play acoustic via an external lithium battery pack should be easy, cheap and long lasting:

https://www.amazon.com/TalentCell-Re...12v+power+bank
Old 07-10-2017, 10:24 AM

I've owned the TC and demoed the Boss. My option differs from others in the thread. I felt the TC sounded a good bit better. I know at least one other gigging musician who feels the same way. You'll have to play them to decide. Features aside, they sound different.

Last edited by martingitdave; 07-10-2017 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Comment too negative.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:40 AM

Here's a real in-depth review on the Boss VE-8

Old 07-10-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I've owned the TC and demoed the Boss. My option differs from others in the thread. I felt the Boss sounded a good bit worse. I know at least one other gigging musician who feels the same way. You'll have to play them to decide. Features aside, they sound different.
Yep... I know the TC gets great reviews and frankly I dialed it in nicely yesterday.

I had no complaints about the sound quality and sound / features.

My singing really sounds good with it! (lord knows I need a little something to enhance it).

OK..... You know what? After watching the video (gear gossip). He actually "talked" me out of the Boss! Although, it has "knobs" which I thought was "better"... But it really seems complicated to do most anything. It would drive me nuts to press and memorize all the functions.

With the TC .. I will need to live with less output /functionality... Maybe that is best anyways.

Keep it simple. Plug into my PA or mixer and just play.
Old 07-10-2017, 12:21 PM

For those of you that do have or are thinking of getting a TCH unit, this forum is pretty helpful....
https://forum.music-group.com/forumd...136-TC-HELICON
Old 07-10-2017, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
Yep... I know the TC gets great reviews and frankly I dialed it in nicely yesterday.

I had no complaints about the sound quality and sound / features.

My singing really sounds good with it! (lord knows I need a little something to enhance it).

OK..... You know what? After watching the video (gear gossip). He actually "talked" me out of the Boss! Although, it has "knobs" which I thought was "better"... But it really seems complicated to do most anything. It would drive me nuts to press and memorize all the functions.

With the TC .. I will need to live with less output /functionality... Maybe that is best anyways.

Keep it simple. Plug into my PA or mixer and just play.
Definitely. I tried both and that is one of the reasons I chose the TC, and also felt the same as martingitdave about the sound.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification