The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-25-2018, 10:30 AM

Default Dual source with an M80?

Anybody ever tried or felt the need to augment the M80? I don't know that I have a specific need, rather letting my mind wander and pondering the possibilities.

Particularly interested in passive options.
Old 03-25-2018, 03:01 PM

i've been toying with this and k and k .
or i may try sunrise and kk with the sunrise
sb2 buffer.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:57 PM
Charter Member

I installed my M80 in my MIJ Takamine that has the Cooltube which is designed to take a second source; namely the Takamine Triax which an M80 made by Baggs for Takamine in black. My M80 worked great with it, however, I felt the Cooltube was great on it's own, plus I needed the M80 for my D18...and frankly it sounds great on it's own and dialed in on THAT guitar...you can add a K&K if there is something more your looking for, you can make it work.
Old 03-28-2018, 01:17 PM

I have an M80 paired with a K&K in a cocobolo 814. They each have their own output jack. I removed the ES system and had a friend custom make a maple cover with holes for 2 output jacks.
Not sure you really need the second source since the M80 is really a dual source but I like to switch between the two systems. I also sometimes will run them into a RedEye Twin as a blender and the K&K fills out a lot of the bottom end while the M80 gives excellent articulation and some of the top vibrations.

I have a similar setup with a Sunrise and K&K in a 914. That is an excellent combination but either source sounds really good on its own.
Davidc
Old 03-29-2018, 06:06 AM

My thought was to do this in my taylor BTO dred. as it was built without
the Es system. It has a kk and i own the m80 and the sunrise.
I haven't pulled the jack out of the guitar yet
to see if it's trs or just ts. My martin is set up
with two output jacks but i'd rather have the
single exit. probably put the mag on the tip.
as it sounds better plugged into anything without outboard
pre and eq.. the kk needs all this to eek out its great sound.
Old 03-30-2018, 07:41 AM

My 914 is set up that way. I ordered it without electronics. I have the Sunrise on the tip. I know there may be mixed feelings about mag pickups but I have had great luck (along with Sheryl Crow, Keith Richards and others) and great sound from the Sunrise. I don't usually even use the Sunrise preamp but it does provide a fuller sound.
If you have standard K&K it should be a TRS output.
Good luck!
Davidc
Old 03-30-2018, 08:01 AM
Charter Member

In the exceedingly rare instances in which we play in a concert situation where there is a contract soundman, I will use an M80 in my HD-35 coupled with an SM-57 aimed at the 14th fret. I want the clean low end of the magnetic, but really don't care for the electricy sound it imparts to the treble strings. The addition of the external mic serves to smooth this out a bit.

But to use such a set up in a throw-and-go club situation in which I am running sound? Nah. That's what the Godin A6 is for.
Old 04-01-2018, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymuso View Post
In the exceedingly rare instances in which we play in a concert situation where there is a contract soundman, I will use an M80 in my HD-35 coupled with an SM-57 aimed at the 14th fret. I want the clean low end of the magnetic, but really don't care for the electricy sound it imparts to the treble strings. The addition of the external mic serves to smooth this out a bit.

But to use such a set up in a throw-and-go club situation in which I am running sound? Nah. That's what the Godin A6 is for.
This is probably the best dual source scenario
out there. For us local weekend warriors it's a rare
occasion where a mic can be used to any effect
without dealing with feedback. But when i can
it's great..i use an sm81 condenser.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification