The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-27-2010, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

Default Going to do some recording, some tips would be helpful...

Going to my brother in laws Wednesday night. This will be the second time I will record. He used to be in radio and seems to have enough decent equipment, including an old but very expensive mic.

I'll probably have about 15 songs I can get through from beginning to end, though I'll be little rough on some. Another 5 or so could get through bits and pieces.

Will take up three or four or maybe five guitars, just to find out how each records.

Dave experiments with mic positions and stuff. We usually have a couple of mics going.

Should be a blast. There is a level of intensity that I find makes it a worth while experience.

Any tips on do's or don't will be appreciated.

best,

Stuart
Old 06-27-2010, 05:06 PM

Typically, in a recording studio environment, the biggest obstacle is knowing that you are recording...it can cause anxiety which leads to mistakes you wouldn't make otherwise. My only advice is to relax and try not to think of the recording...let your brother-in-law think about that part...and have fun!

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 06-27-2010, 06:16 PM

Try as many different mic set-ups as possible, like M-S, X-Y, ORTF, or even single mic (I get quite decents results with this).

If you'll be singing too, either use a dynamic mic on your vocals or a ribbon or a multi-pattern condenser set to figure-of-eight to reduce vocal bleed (watch the positioning).

Last edited by Cue Zephyr; 06-27-2010 at 06:24 PM.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:54 PM

Try this for starters, good tips, good diagrams:

"In most cases, you'll want to use a pair of cardioid (unidirectional) mics placed close to the instrument. Close-miking -- approximately six to 12 inches from the guitar -- is used in most pop and other contemporary recordings that feature acoustic guitar.

Cardioid mics are generally best used for close-miking guitar because they exhibit less bass proximity effect (or bass boost) than other directional types when placed close to the sound source. And we all know that acoustic guitars can sound boomy if miked incorrectly.

Let's explore three common approaches to stereo miking and acoustic guitar. Each of these techniques has been used on countless hit records. Be sure to check out the corresponding audio links, and of course, consider these as starting points for your own creativity. After you've mastered each one, feel free to experiment with your own variations on each method." http://www.humbuckermusic.com/acguitrectec.html

Google "How to Record acoustic Guitar" for more.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:59 AM

That's BS. Omnidirectional mics don't have any proximity effect at all (think of the Earthworks QTC-40s).

If you're gonna record and then mix into a dense mix I'd suggest recording with just one microphone as it is less hassle, and it will give you a somewhat more balanced sound which is easier to mix into a dense mix like in pop or country and whatnot.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartb View Post
Going to my brother in laws Wednesday night. This will be the second time I will record. He used to be in radio and seems to have enough decent equipment, including an old but very expensive mic.

I'll probably have about 15 songs I can get through from beginning to end, though I'll be little rough on some. Another 5 or so could get through bits and pieces.

Will take up three or four or maybe five guitars, just to find out how each records.

Dave experiments with mic positions and stuff. We usually have a couple of mics going.

Should be a blast. There is a level of intensity that I find makes it a worth while experience.

Any tips on do's or don't will be appreciated.

best,

Stuart
I wouldn't plan on recording 15 songs in a single evening, Stuart. You'll be experimenting with mic positions, choice of guitar, etc. - all these are time-consuming. Based on my (admittedly not extensive) experience, you might get 2 or 3 songs recorded, if all goes quickly & smoothly.

I recommend that you choose three songs in your repertoire and practice them intensively between now & Wednesday. When you begin recording, you'll know exactly which guitar to use, the arrangements that you want, etc. This will save time.

...and most importantly, Enjoy!
Old 06-28-2010, 05:43 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the good advice to those who've responded. Appreciate your time.

My focus will likely be on playing and replaying.

I'm not really ready, but I'm heading up to David's house, so may as well take advantage.

And recordings has to be a worthy exercise as far as the learning process goes.

I don't sing. Play solo fingerstyle instrumentals.

Stuart
Old 06-28-2010, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdm321 View Post
I wouldn't plan on recording 15 songs in a single evening, Stuart. You'll be experimenting with mic positions, choice of guitar, etc. - all these are time-consuming. Based on my (admittedly not extensive) experience, you might get 2 or 3 songs recorded, if all goes quickly & smoothly.

I recommend that you choose three songs in your repertoire and practice them intensively between now & Wednesday. When you begin recording, you'll know exactly which guitar to use, the arrangements that you want, etc. This will save time.

...and most importantly, Enjoy!
Thanks rdm.

Actually, I have two and a half days. Will likely practice for 2.5 hrs and play for 2.5 hrs each day. Rest of time with family. First 2.5 will happen before 9 AM Anyway.

I know I'll make a mug of it anyway, but each time I try, I'll likely get better.

Some of my weakest songs are in DADGAD. Shame. The Walker loves DADGAD. And it sounds fascinating recorded.

Stuart
Old 06-29-2010, 08:04 AM

Sounds like a fun extended C-Day weekend. Have fun. I'm in Hogtown & we're still cleaning up....
Old 06-30-2010, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Sounds like a fun extended C-Day weekend. Have fun. I'm in Hogtown & we're still cleaning up....
thanks rdm,

I've made up my list. I've packed four guitars. Looking forward to hearing the Franklin recorded. I'm sure this time round will be a little hard on the ears, but it'll come.

The weekend is upon us.

Stuart
Old 07-05-2010, 10:08 AM

How did it go? Can you post sound clips?
Old 07-05-2010, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
How did it go? Can you post sound clips?

David, Bro in law, is working on the recordings, will send me a digital, so I can identify what to cut and what to keep, will have him piece off a section to post. With luck, a section or two may work out.

Basically, he just turned on the recording device, and I had an hour and a half to record (day 1). That was enough for one day. It's fairly intense I found, as you really focus and concentrate. I did the same for 1 hr on day 2.

In terms of lessons.

Constantly retuning the guitar kind of sucked. I was trying to play the same song on two different guitars in most cases to compare and contrast tone, so I was changing tunings quite frequently.

I caught myself thinking about the next song while I was recording and would lose my concentration on the song I was working on.

Some songs that I knew well, gave me grief for no reason at all.

It seemed to highlight that I should go back to basics, and work with the metronome. I feel I have more work to do on timing.

Because I was focusing on playing songs, and playing intently, I found I improved a fair bit even over such a short time frame. So I think I should revisit how I practice to incorporate more of the same.

It was a vast improvement over 8 months or so ago when I tried this for the first time. I played far more songs this time, and was more comfortable, but did screw up an awful lot.

Favorite guitar to record on, likely the walker.

Will post a clip after I get it all back. I listened to the recordings. A few songs weren't too bad. I'm a tough critic and I've a long way to go, but it was a great experience.

thanks for asking.

Stuart

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD