The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-25-2018, 06:45 AM

My advice regarding the guitar is the same as above. Get the best playing guitar you can afford. It wouldn’t make any sense to by a Rogue, or similar, and then need to spend another $100 to get it ready to play.

Then, here’s the tough part, let HIM learn to play. You can always use frisbee, or hiking, or camping, or fishing... for a bonding experience but he wants to learn at school with his chums and by you thinking about turning this into a father-son thing (which you never did before) results in him getting a half-as-nice guitar because you’re using half his budget for yours. I would get him a nicer guitar for the full budget and if he sticks with it, you can get a guitar, after saving some money, and learn separately, playing with him in a few months.

Or just rent a nicer guitar until you see if he sticks with it.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:27 AM

I have had pretty good luck with looking at pawn shops for used guitars. Id suggest trying to find a used Alvarez or a used Yamaha (if you are lucky enough o find a good FG160 jump on it). In general you just get so much more guitar when you buy used verses new.

You might also check with his teacher, if his teacher plays he might know of some used ones for sale. Also if you or them have facebook you might post on there even to just your friends and ask what if theyd have one for sale. Youd be surprised how many ppl have a old guitar that's been setting in its case for the last 15 years that they might remember
Old 05-25-2018, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Another vote for 2 Yamahas. You can get a decent one new for around 200 bucks.

Have fun with it, very cool thing you guys are doing
Quote:
Originally Posted by v32 finish View Post
Hard to beat Yamaha. I would stick to Yamaha, Alvarez, Epiphone, Washburn, Eastman.

Most of all, have fun! Get some free lessons online, learn songs for free on youtube, check out Justinguitar.com(free)
I appreciate all the tremendous help everyone has given. I'm extremely excited to start this journey with my son!!!

It definitely seems like Yamaha is an overwhelming favorite in the most bang for your buck category.

Does that apply to even the Yamaha F335?

It's currently $160 but was on sale a while back for $136. Then I see a Gigmaker package deal with F325D for $170. And also under $200 new I see the Yamaha FG800 and FS800 Folk Guitars...excuse my lack of knowledge but what's the difference between a Folk and a non-Folk guitar?

As far as Epiphone I see the PRO-1 for $130 which is supposed to be especially made for beginners with several different "innovative" features. I also see the PR-150 that was on sale for $120 last week but now up to $175.

I've already been checking out the JustinGuitar website and beginner series...seems like a fun way of learning the guitar - playing songs as you learn the chords!

Again, thanks for all the tremendous help....it seems like I've definitely found the right spot for help on our journey!!!

TripleB

Last edited by TripleB; 05-25-2018 at 09:16 AM.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:39 AM

Yet another vote for the Yamaha. I started on a Yamaha FS700s. You can get one from GC used for well under $200, or get the new (and better) 800 series for $200 new. Totally the way to go.

Also, it can be a bit expensive, but its probably worth the setup. If you try and buy from somewhere other than GC, they might include it, or at least tweak it for you if you buy from them.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleB View Post
And also under $200 new I see the Yamaha FG800 and FS800 Folk Guitars...excuse my lack of knowledge but what's the difference between a Folk and a non-Folk guitar?
The FG is dreadnought size, the FS is more like concert size. Basically, the FG is larger, a bit louder, and will have more bass. Its a personal preference thing. FWIW, I started with the FS. If I had to do it all over again, I'd get an FG (for the bass and slightly better string spacing at the saddle). That said, for your son, the FS might be better. Its a little easier to hold, particularly if you're a bit smaller size. Sounds like he's a big boy, but a dread might still be a little large. But a dread can work. Molly Tuttle is hardly "big," and she seems to find her way around her dreadnoughts pretty easily.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:43 AM

Yamaha is the way to go.

After these previous comments is there any doubt?
Old 05-25-2018, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

I used to recommend the entry level Yamahas to people all the time. Then I tried an Alvarez AF615E and it blew the Yamahas out of the water. I thought it had a more comfortable neck and the tone was amazing considering the price. I had it for a couple of weeks before I passed it on to the person for whom it was intended. I played it every night. It was a fun guitar to play and I think it has the potential to really inspire a beginner player. It certainly worked with the person to whom I gave it as a gift.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 05-25-2018, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
I would get him a nicer guitar for the full budget and if he sticks with it, you can get a guitar, after saving some money, and learn separately, playing with him in a few months.
You make some great points and I appreciate your input!

One reason I'm looking at getting one for myself also is the fact that I have a birthday coming up on June 7th and Father's Day soon after that...Christmas is a long times off. So I was thinking in order save a bit of money I could ask for a guitar as a sort of combined birthday/Father's Day present!

TripleB

Last edited by TripleB; 05-25-2018 at 09:16 AM.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:58 AM

I have the FS700s. I bought in new in February two years ago for $179. The 800 series is out now for about the same price. I use mine every week at work for an acoustic guitar Reminiscence Group on the ward where I work. Very nice guitar, great value. I would not buy a laminated top guitar even to start on. Sound quality is much diminished. Just my .02.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 05-25-2018, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCity View Post
Yet another vote for the Yamaha. I started on a Yamaha FS700s. You can get one from GC used for well under $200, or get the new (and better) 800 series for $200 new. Totally the way to go.

Also, it can be a bit expensive, but its probably worth the setup. If you try and buy from somewhere other than GC, they might include it, or at least tweak it for you if you buy from them.
I guess this is the 800 series model you're referring to? It has "Folk" in the title, what makes it a "Folk" guitar? https://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha/...stic-Guitar.gc

How much is a typically set up from GC?

I appreciate your help!

TripleB
Old 05-25-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleB View Post
I appreciate all the tremendous help everyone has given. I'm extremely excited to start this journey with my son!!!

It definitely seems like Yamaha is an overwhelming favorite in the most bang for your buck category.

Does that apply to even the Yamaha F335?

It's currently $160 but was on sale a while back for $136. Then I see a Gigmaker package deal with F325D for $170. And also under $200 new I see the Yamaha FG800 and FS800 Folk Guitars...excuse my lack of knowledge but what's the difference between a Folk and a non-Folk guitar?
TripleB
You definitely want either a FG or a FS series, 700 or 800. The other ones mentioned are less expensive because they have tops (i.e. soundboards) that are laminated (i.e. plywood). The FG / FS 700-800 models have solid tops - soundboards made from one piece of solid spruce. They will have much better sound.

'77 Gurian J-R C series
'82 Alvarez-Yairi DY-53 "Silver Harp"
Ibanez AG-95 DBS
70s Ibanez 511
Old 05-25-2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
I used to recommend the entry level Yamahas to people all the time. Then I tried an Alvarez AF615E and it blew the Yamahas out of the water. I thought it had a more comfortable neck and the tone was amazing considering the price. I had it for a couple of weeks before I passed it on to the person for whom it was intended. I played it every night. It was a fun guitar to play and I think it has the potential to really inspire a beginner player. It certainly worked with the person to whom I gave it as a gift.
Every company can occasionally pump out a guitar that surpasses what's expected of it. I had an Alverez AD60L that sounded like a family of beavers built their home in the body. Based on this thread (and many others) Yamaha is the safe bet.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:57 AM

Has anyone mentioned Yamaha?

Art & Lutherie Ami would be a great choice too.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 05-25-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Has anyone mentioned Yamaha?
Not yet....I thought they only made motorcycles!!!

TripleB
Old 05-25-2018, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambi View Post
Every company can occasionally pump out a guitar that surpasses what's expected of it. I had an Alverez AD60L that sounded like a family of beavers built their home in the body. Based on this thread (and many others) Yamaha is the safe bet.
Alvarez gets a lot of love around here. I've played more Yamahas over the years than Alvarez' and they'll pump out the occasional dog as well. Judging by the comments in this forum, both are safe bets for the beginner, and the implication that I may have just gotten lucky with the Alvarez I purchased just doesn't hold up.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion