The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-22-2018, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bickb View Post
The workersvisa is a thingy. It will take a while before I can get it. I hoped I could just enter with a waivers visa, that means you can just enter the country and get stamp.
I don't know what is waivers visa but I'm pretty certain you will be unable to get a working US visa via US consulate in Holland based on your desire of busking in the US.
And if you enter the US on tourist visa, you're automatically excluded for applying to work in the US.
From legal point of view, it's pretty helpless
Old 05-22-2018, 06:26 AM

Weather alert!

If you decide to start in the south in September keep in mind it is the most active month for hurricanes on the southeastern seaboard and Gulf coast. In Florida typical September high temperatures are in the low 90's with humidity to match (and things don't cool off much at night). Not exactly ideal weather conditions for living out of a tent. I'd be inclined to make September the month for the northern portion of my stay. Weather-wise mid-October to November would be a good time to begin to experience the southern U.S.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 05-22-2018, 06:43 AM

So sorry for the extensive discouragement. You aren't trying to do this in 3 months so I think what you have thought about, and probably pre-planned some, would be a great adventure. First thought, every city will have a different requirement for busking. As stated, some allow amplification and some don't. Some require you to move every hour, some don't. Some require a permit and other's don't. The weather from New York, down through the mid-Atlantic states and through the south will be hot and humid. I would go as lightweight as you feel is possible so I wouldn't bring amplification. I grew up in Washington D.C. and never amplified on the street until getting into the college circuit.

I would start in NY and work south so that when the summer ends you're not moving north into cold and snowy weather. I'm not sure where "follow the sun" comes in as the sun moves east to west..... You can certainly "train it" along the east coast. Depending on how much distance you want to cover each move you may have better luck with Greyhound bus transportation.

I would check in at each city/county building upon arrival to that city and discuss with the department of revenue (or their comparable) what the rules are for that city on busking. It won't take long but most police officers and departments, except for major cities like NY City won't know or care. Remember that if you expect to camp, you'll have to carry that equipment as well and it will be heavier than your other gear and camping may or may not be allowed in the cities like it is in the country. Also (many don't) carefully look at the distances on your travel map as this is a HUGE country and moving from city to city can take a while. Then....... have a great trip. Once you get closer to your travel, post your planned route and see if any members herein pop out to see you and possibly offer a couch or bed during your travels.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:48 AM

With a B2 tourist visa you can stay in the USA up to 6 months. You can then apply for an extension of another 6 months for $250. But that's a tourist visa, not working. Immigration, when you arrive in the country will ask how long you are staying, the purpose of your visit and if you have the funds for it and a return ticket.

If you are busking in a city where the cops don't like buskers, they could very well ask you for ID. When you show a passport - and no green card (permanent immigration card that allows you to work), they're going to haul you in and call the ICE.

Yes, there are hostels in many large cities. In Boston the hostel runs about $80 a night, I would think other expensive cities like NYC and San Francisco would run about the same amount. Your $26K for a year comes out to about $71 a day - that has to cover lodging, food and transportation.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 05-22-2018, 07:04 AM

Wow, you trust Americans more than I trust Americans (and I live here).

Best of luck in your adventures.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:28 AM
Charter Member

While I would certainly encourage you to to do such and adventure .
couple thoughts. First as has been mentioned the US is massive and spread out and basically as big as all of Europe so the first thing is to wrap you head around the geological reality.

Plus you if you are going to use public transport you will want to be down to 3 items to carry , a backpack a guitar in one hand, and perhaps a small battery powered amp in the other.

As Mike B just mentioned $26k is going to minimal and I would not count on all that much income from busking over all, now some places you can make enough for food for the day, others maybe lunch. You might want to consider to plan on 6 months and then if things work out try to stay longer.

If your starting in Sept you will want to move south and west fairly quickly If it were me I would want to be in Arizona by December or January.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 05-22-2018, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

One thing you might do is identify the cities you want to visit and then go to their websites. San Francisco has everything you need to know about street performing and what is required as far as permits and locations go. I think Berkeley and Santa Rosa have similar info available. It will give you a good idea of the possibilities and maybe plan some things in advance.

Best,
Jayne
Old 05-22-2018, 08:00 AM

Found this:

"US Visa For Artists And Entertainers
O1 Visa, P1 Visa, P3 Visa, B-1, And More..."

http://www.visapro.com/resources/art...-entertainers/

Seems a little difficult.

opencee

Old 05-22-2018, 08:50 AM

I don't know what to suggest regarding the legality of being an immigrant "worker" busker....

On one hand I'd say I agree with the post above saying that buskers are often viewed as a homeless nuisance, and many cops will try to shoo you away.

But on the other hand I'd say it seems pretty unlikely a local patrol cop is going to shake you down, check your passport, and call ICE on you for "working" illegally in the US. That just seems far fetched. IMHO anyway.

However, I did have a thought about a place to live. Here in the US, you can buy an old van or minivan (that's beat up and ugly, but totally useable) for a few thousand dollars. For not a lot of money, you can outfit it as your home. At the end of your stay you could sell the van for close to what you paid...

Here is a great Youtube video series about doing just that. He covers what types of vans, how to arrange it, how to store stuff, hygeine, etc...

Old 05-22-2018, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

If what you want is busking for the experience, rather as a way of financially supporting your travel, I'd personally avoid doing it in cities entirely. There are medium-sized towns, especially ones with colleges, that are likely to be more accommodating. Parks and campuses are places where people can play without amplification. You'll typically attract a small group of listeners who will enjoy what you're doing.

Also, pretty much everything, from food to lodging and beyond, will cost you less in smaller places than in cities. Even if you want to visit the cities, you might do better staying some distance outside of the city itself, in a nice leafy suburb that is still large enough to have some public accommodations. It will potentially cost less, may well be a safer and more comfortable environment, and it might even be a good place to play in a park or other outdoor public area.

Another thing you can do is play at open mics in small cities and towns. You might be able to do that in larger cities as well, but I'm guessing it would be tougher to get on their schedule than it would be in smaller places. You won't get paid but you'll have a chance to play for an audience and meet people. There's also an online community called Meetup that sponsors activities around various types of activities. In lots of places, there are local Guitar Meetups, some happening at public spaces like bars, others at people's houses, where you can go and play and meet folks.

I think you could do all of the things I described without being in violation of a tourist visa. You won't make money but I gather that's not your primary purpose. You'll certainly meet people and likely will have people buy you the occasional beer or sandwich.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:52 AM

bickb's post is sort of like a Rorschach inkblot test. bickb, as you can see, conditions vary quite widely across the US. That's true for the weather, the permit requirements for busking, the local busking scene, etc. I trust that you are in the early stages of your research, and that AGF is only one source. If you find yourself in Northern California please get in touch. Sounds like a great adventure, have fun!
Old 05-22-2018, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

The van idea makes a lot of sense. Like others have advised, you could also not solicit money with an open guitar case or tip jar. Instead, start a traveling blog website, and have a sign about how you came to the US to share your music. This could lead to a variety of help along the way (meals, a hot shower, safe place to park your van, etc.), and will get around the issue of directly working for money. Get some postcard sized cards printed through gotprint.com (very inexpensive and nice), and give them out, to direct people to a website where they could have the option of supporting you via paypal, read about your journey, find out about your schedule, etc.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 05-22-2018, 10:55 AM

While others have touched on our lack of transportation and tons of rules, not many people have suggested cities.

If it were me, i would be sure to play in and visit:

Key West, FL
Nashville, TN
Austin, TX
Boulder, CO
Venice, CA
Truckee, CA (Take Tahoe)
Seattle, WA
2015 Taylor GS-Mini e (Walnut/Sitka)
Old 05-22-2018, 10:56 AM

I've nothing really new to add to what others have said, but will chime in with my consensus. I do think you will be challenged with cold weather - but probably not until November. Being in the south will help, but will not make you immune from cold fronts (having lived in Florida and experienced sub 20 deg F in November before). There are hostels; and if you use buses, you should be able to get around relatively inexpensively.

Now, regarding the work visa. This will absolutely be a great risk. Despite what others have suggested, there has been a noticeable difference in attitude with our current administration (as you may have seen), and this has definitely trickled down. Here in NYC, you may be asked for work credentials, and you may be referred to ICE - who will deport you without hesitation. There is a recent case in MN where two american citizens were speaking Spanish to one another, were overhead by a border agent, and were detained. So this is definitely happening more frequently, and people will turn you in (yes, it seems shocking - but a recent viral video in NYC shows an attorney threatening to call ICE on spanish speaking employees of a local deli). Now, you might take the attitude that, if I get caught and deported, no big deal - its a big adventure....but if you ever want to come to the country again, under a legitimate visa, you may find that this will make your efforts very difficult. Best not to risk this by trying to "stay under the radar".
Old 05-22-2018, 11:01 AM

It is often very difficult for Europeans from small countries to wrap their heads around how very big the United States is and how varied it is in climate, safety, transportation limitations and so on. I once had to rescue a young Swiss couple who thought they could walk from Union Station in Washington, DC to their hotel not far away. After all, they thought, it is the capital city. But to do this they had to walk through one of the most dangerous parts of the city.

They were using European standards without consideration for what is nature of American inner cities. There are a lot of good suggestions here (the van suggestion being one of the best) but there is a lot of mythology in Europe about America which does not reflect what is true, comfortable or safe. There are many, many safe and beautiful towns and neighborhoods in our country, and many lovely people, but there are also people here who will kill you for your shoes, or lock you up for the vaguest transgression. As in any foreign country the best plan is to establish personal connections in your various target cities so that you have someone who can advise you. I think maybe you should pick a single city and make that your adventure.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion