The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-08-2018, 03:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakybird View Post
I think it was a D45 rip-off, and it had Brazilian Rosewood back and sides and stunning inlay throughout. It looked like a real piece of art. The workmanship was absolutely flawless, but If I'm going to spend that kind of money, I would want a guitar like a Martin that isn't a knock-off. For less than $1000, I would consider a Blueridge for sure.

My brother lived in a Motel 6 without a pot to pee in, but he had that beautiful guitar that he hardly knew how to tune, but he would play it for hours until he had a month of bad sales, and he pawned it for $800, and couldn't make payments and lost it - just like he did the Martin HD28 and the Yamaha LL400 I mentioned in my first post on this forum.
Does Blueridge even make guitars that are worth $2,800? I'm looking on Maury's right now and their absolute top of the line guitars (BR-283A and BR-280A) are both slightly under $2,000 brand new.
Old 05-08-2018, 04:20 PM

It was the BR-283A because I remember "pre-war", and I'm sure that he paid well over $2000. My brother was not a savvy shopper, never owned a computer, and never haggled. Btw, when I Google the guitar, one shows up that sold on EBay in 2011 for over $3000.
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.

Last edited by Beakybird; 05-08-2018 at 04:28 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjh111222 View Post
This has all been good info even if not all related to my 12 string question. Regarding Blueridge, Guitar Center has a used BR-160-12 for sale on their web site for a decent price that I was tempted by. I called the store to get more details on condition but it is on lay away so is no longer available. last week I played a Martin GPC12PA4 that sounded very nice. It was much easier to handle than the D12X1AE with the stratabond neck but was above my price point. That appears to be the next Martin price point above the D12X1AE. I will keep playing the D12X1AE to see if I get used to it and will continue checking out my other options.

Thanks,
Steve
Guitar Center had a Blueridge BR-40-12 for a very nice price that I tried out. The guitar was set up well with low action. It had great sound but it also had a 4" crack in the top on the top side of the lower bout. I also tried a Blueridge BR-163 6 string that sounded OK but I noticed it had 2 repaired top cracks, 1 on either side of the center seam running from the bridge to the bottom end. Did I just happen to see 2 atypical samples or are Blueridge guitars susceptible to top crack issues?

Thanks,
Steve
Old 05-21-2018, 02:59 PM

I have two Blueridges and a Martin. The build quality of the Martin is higher, and I prefer its nitro finish to the poly finish on the Blueridges. I tend to gravitate to the 00-18, but I still play the Blueridge OM-28 knockoff often. It looks and sounds great

I'd take either of my Blueridges over any Martin other than a standard, 15, or 16 series model.
Old 05-21-2018, 03:20 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfitz81 View Post
Search the forum and you can find a bunch of threads about Blueridge guitars, but the consensus seems to be about what you described. I haven't had a chance to play one, but most that have mention that they have more of a "Martin" sound than other guitars built to the same general specs (e.g., Eastman's E series). I believe they have a slimmer neck profile than Martins, and a 1-11/16" nut width, which may be something to consider.
This is mainly what I've heard as well. As a proud Eastman owner, most folks feel they've got their own tone, somewhere between a Martin and a Gibson.

It seems I heard many years ago that the Blueridge folks intentionally took about the earlier Martin models and studied them thoroughly, then did the best they could to copy the construction and then "tuned" the guitar for that authentic tone. Makes sense to me.

I remember decades ago reading about how Mazda studied the exhaust/muffler note of the old British sport cars (Triumph, MG, etc.) for a LONG time, then different everything they could to replicate that "note" in the Miata.

Some folks -- a minority -- have claimed Blueridges are a tad on the bright side, but I've never actually played one, so I have no opinion.

sm
Old 05-22-2018, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post

...Some folks -- a minority -- have claimed Blueridges are a tad on the bright side, but I've never actually played one, so I have no opinion.

sm
I agree with that. The three Blueridges I owned were all brighter, crisper, and less warm toned than their Martin counterparts. I can hear it in Maury's comparison video posted earlier in this thread. I have always thought that BR's, especially the Adirondack models, are more in the Collings tone camp than Martin. Not that they have the tonal sophistication of a Collings, but they do have a hotter mid range, more note separation, and are brighter than Martins.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:49 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou Intern View Post
I agree with that. The three Blueridges I owned were all brighter, crisper, and less warm toned than their Martin counterparts. I can hear it in Maury's comparison video posted earlier in this thread. I have always thought that BR's, especially the Adirondack models, are more in the Collings tone camp than Martin. Not that they have the tonal sophistication of a Collings, but they do have a hotter mid range, more note separation, and are brighter than Martins.
Keith, I know you've told me that before.

How would you compare the tone of Eastmans vs. Blueridge? Or Blueridge in comparison with the brightness in many Taylor models?

Thanks, bud,
scott
Old 05-22-2018, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagedr View Post
Does Blueridge even make guitars that are worth $2,800? I'm looking on Maury's right now and their absolute top of the line guitars (BR-283A and BR-280A) are both slightly under $2,000 brand new.
I think the new 283As are made with East Indian Rosewood while they were originally made with Brazilian Rosewood. The used 283As made with Brazilian Rosewood go for more $$.
I played this guitar years ago next to my mahogany LL400, and outside of all the bling which was amazing, I liked the Yamaha more if only because the Blueridge had some mild fret buzz, and my Yamaha had perfect intonation.
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:36 PM

Quote:
This is mainly what I've heard as well. As a proud Eastman owner, most folks feel they've got their own tone, somewhere between a Martin and a Gibson.

It seems I heard many years ago that the Blueridge folks intentionally took about the earlier Martin models and studied them thoroughly, then did the best they could to copy the construction and then "tuned" the guitar for that authentic tone. Makes sense to me.

I remember decades ago reading about how Mazda studied the exhaust/muffler note of the old British sport cars (Triumph, MG, etc.) for a LONG time, then different everything they could to replicate that "note" in the Miata.

Some folks -- a minority -- have claimed Blueridges are a tad on the bright side, but I've never actually played one, so I have no opinion.

sm
I think most Blueridges are a tad on the bright side too. Having owned 2 of them they started that way. What shocked me most was changing the bridge pins from plastic to tusq on the 240A mellowed it right out and took away the brightness, which was perfect for me. My wife commented on it the first time she heard if after the bridge pin change.

I've never owned another guitar where the bridge pins really made any difference but they sure did for my 240A. Now I think it's about perfect
Old 05-24-2018, 01:10 AM

I very nearly bought a Blueridge many years ago...I believe it was the model in question, with Sitka top, rosewood B&S, lots of abalone bling. When I tried the guitar it sounded lush, if a bit on the bright side, but it was brand new, so I expected that. I was very happy with my selection.

This was at Draper's Music in Palo Alto, during their "retiring and going out of business" sale, so they had some great deals...and a LOT of people in there taking full advantage. So there I am, standing there with this gorgeous Blueridge dread, and it's taking forever because the counter is swamped with people and the staff is ringing up sales right & left.

Finally after about 15 minutes of standing there with my wife, waiting to buy this guitar, I started getting bored, looking around at guitars hanging on the wall...looked up and saw this rather plain-looking Larrivee L-03 hanging there, decided to pull it down off the wall and do an A-B comparison in their acoustic room, certain that the Blueridge would win and justify my choice.

The Blueridge did NOT win...the Larrivee absolutely filled the room with this beautiful blooming, sustaining tone, much louder & more broad-spectrum than the BR160. My wife's eyes went wide, jaw dropped. I tried the Blueridge again and after hearing that L-03 it sounded thin & weak by comparison.

That was about 14 years ago...I still have that Larrivee L-03 (even though it was about $300 more than the BR) and it sounds even better now than it did at the time.

With regard to the OP's query, have you tried Yamaha, especially the LL-series? My own Yamaha LL16-12 is right in that price range (used), has all solid woods, being Englemann over EIR with an ebony fingerboard and bridge. The caveat with the Yamaha is that you may need to put in a new nut & saddle & tuners. I did, because mine came with awful plastic parts and cheapo tuners...YMMV.

Finally, I would also recommend any of the Larrivee 12-strings...I often see used D03-12s and L03-12s on Reverb at that price range, USA made, all-solid woods with ebony board & bridge...I can almost guarantee that they will blow anything by Blueridge right out of the water.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 05-24-2018, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtheaxe View Post
With regard to the OP's query, have you tried Yamaha, especially the LL-series? My own Yamaha LL16-12 is right in that price range (used), has all solid woods, being Englemann over EIR with an ebony fingerboard and bridge. The caveat with the Yamaha is that you may need to put in a new nut & saddle & tuners. I did, because mine came with awful plastic parts and cheapo tuners...YMMV.

Finally, I would also recommend any of the Larrivee 12-strings...I often see used D03-12s and L03-12s on Reverb at that price range, USA made, all-solid woods with ebony board & bridge...I can almost guarantee that they will blow anything by Blueridge right out of the water.
I have not tried a Yahama 12 string recently. I played 1 years ago that I thought sounded really good. I have never played a Larrivee either so I will check them out at my first opportunity.

I went to my local GC again last night and tried out the Blueridge BR-40-12 with the top crack. It is a very nice sounding guitar and plays easily so I am tempted but will probably avoid it with the top crack. The price is pretty cheap ($250) but a repair would need to be done.

I am still playing the Martin D12X1AE and love the tone and playability. I am getting less bothered by the weight and unbalanced neck so I may get used to it over time.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:22 AM

Blueridge isn't a brand I'd spend a lot of money for (like maybe $700 tops) but gosh-darn it if the BR-40 I bought for $250 used isn't a nice guitar. It acquits itself very well with Martins. I've compared it to a new D-18 and new D-28 and I like it better. Maybe I'm crazy or my ears are broken, but I really feel it's one of the best guitar values ever. And really light too. The neck isn't everyone's cup of tea but I do like it a lot. I'm sure the 12-string necks are different.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:31 AM

A Blueridge, especially used, will be a great value. I think of them as a more Martiny version of Eastman. If I were on a budget and wanted a midrange acoustic I'd be looking Eastman, Blueridge, or Yamaha
Old 05-25-2018, 06:56 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasser View Post
Blueridge isn't a brand I'd spend a lot of money for (like maybe $700 tops) but gosh-darn it if the BR-40 I bought for $250 used isn't a nice guitar. It acquits itself very well with Martins. I've compared it to a new D-18 and new D-28 and I like it better. Maybe I'm crazy or my ears are broken, but I really feel it's one of the best guitar values ever. And really light too. The neck isn't everyone's cup of tea but I do like it a lot. I'm sure the 12-string necks are different.
This is what I've heard from many.

scott memmer
Old 05-26-2018, 12:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
How would you compare the tone of Eastmans vs. Blueridge? Or Blueridge in comparison with the brightness in many Taylor models?
To my ears, comparing the red spruce topped E10/20D to the BR140/160A, the Eastmen have a warmer, rounder tone with better chordal blend and deeper bass and thicker trebles. The BR's have better individual note separation and have a crisper tone. (I can hear that crispness in the Maury's video.) Also, the BR's are louder, at least my BR140A and 160A were much louder than my 10D and 20D. My 140A was maybe the loudest guitar I have ever played.

I can't legitimately compare either to Taylor dreadnoughts as I have only played a handful. I really liked the 310's I have played, but I think they are braced differently than the usual Taylor dreads. They have a huge bass response.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion