The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 12-30-2017, 05:11 PM

Default D'angelico versus Es 175D

Just got a 2017 D'angelico for Christmas and I am amazed how well this guitar sounds. I am typically not a fan of floating pickups but have to say this sounds pretty decent.

Below is a link of me comparing it to my 1980 Gibson es 175d through my Henriksen amp:

https://youtu.be/Baz1m4g6Q9Y
Old 12-30-2017, 05:50 PM

What a great sounding new guitar! I actually refer the D'A to the Gibson, it sounds a little fatter and more resonant, though of course strings and settings could have come into play. But you've got a great sound there.
Old 12-30-2017, 06:21 PM

The new axe sounds wonderful! The old axe sounds great too, by the way! Thanks for posting the sound comparison!

Congratulations on the new guitar!
Old 12-31-2017, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantgreen42 View Post
Just got a 2017 D'angelico for Christmas and I am amazed how well this guitar sounds. I am typically not a fan of floating pickups but have to say this sounds pretty decent.

Below is a link of me comparing it to my 1980 Gibson es 175d through my Henriksen amp:

Hey Grantgreen. You sound great! I picked up the EXL-1 version of this guitar a couple of months ago. One complaint is the floating pickup (on mine) is way too low. Yours looks where it should be. I have to turn the gain up enough where hum is a problem. Anyway enjoy the guitar. I'm sure these beat the Epiphone version of the 175. Your Gibby sounds great too. Happy New Year.
Old 12-31-2017, 10:11 AM

Thank you. I usually despise floaters because to my ear they always sound like amplified acoustics with low output. In fact I owned a Hofner Jazzica once and never could dial in the right tone. I ended cutting the top and putting in a set in Kent Armstrong humbucker. After that experiment I swore of floaters and said I would stick to set pick up archtops ala Gibsons etc...I did own a Carlo Robelli/Peerless Monarch with a floater. This too after a while suffered from the same personally perceived flaws (great acoustically)...so so amplified. On this one, I contacted KENT Armstrong and he ended up winding me a full size humbucker which solved the "amplified" acoustic sound issue without cutting the top. Anyway, this one sounds richer but in no way is as warm and fat as the Gibson es 175. In fact in the video where I compare my es 175 with the D'angelico the tone is ALL the way down on the D'angelico and ALL the way UP on the Gibson. Still despite this the Gibson is still darker and warmer. Having said that this D'angelico is well built and sounds good acoustically as well.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:09 PM

Wow, you are a most excellent player. Both sound great in your capable hands. What kind of Thomastik-Infeld strings are you using? Bebop or Jazz Swing? What gauge?
Old 01-01-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
Wow, you are a most excellent player. Both sound great in your capable hands. What kind of Thomastik-Infeld strings are you using? Bebop or Jazz Swing? What gauge?
Thank you the D'angelico is strung with Jazz Swing flatwound 13s. The Es 175 is strung with flatwound 12s I think these are also Jazz Swings.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 01-01-2018, 01:55 PM

Very nice playing. I think I prefer the D'angelico over the 175. Thanks for posting.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:15 PM

Quote:
...I did own a Carlo Robelli/Peerless Monarch with a floater. This too after a while suffered from the same personally perceived flaws (great acoustically)...so so amplified. On this one, I contacted KENT Armstrong and he ended up winding me a full size humbucker which solved the "amplified" acoustic sound issue without cutting the top.
I had a full size floating humbucker from Kent Armstrong, that I mounted on an Ibanez AF105. It sounded wonderfully. I have a Kent Armstrong top mounted PAF on my Stephen Holst archtop as well. Really love the sound of his pickups.

Old 01-05-2018, 01:05 AM

Grant, your demo is fantastic! I love my D'Angelico, but you're right...the floater definitely sounds different from the humbuckers. You need to post this at the Jazz Guitar Forum.
Keb Mo 00, J-35 Collectors Edition, 12-Fret AJ,
Some Taylors, 612-CE 12 Fret, Custom 12-Fret Walnut, 814CE, Custom 2015 Engleman over Ovangkol GA,752ce LTD 12x12
Rainsong C1100-NS, Recording King RP 626 Schoenberg
Old 03-14-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:

The D'angelico is a really great guitar. I have played a few of those before and I have been pleasantly surprised.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops