The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-15-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Got anything to contribute related to the OP ?
I kinda do.

It stands to reason that DIY people who do a lot of me-myself-and-I recording would be interested in either the Slate or this new one. But I don't think I've ever heard a full production, pro or am, that was entirely recorded with one. But I'd really like to. I think it'd show what its true character is, regardless of whether the emulations sound like real mics.

Part of the reason I say this is because, a few years ago I spent a long day with a lot of time to kill (waiting for client feedback) in a room with a Yamaha 01V in it, along with a Sennheiser 416 shotgun mic. I had this little song I had just written, so I tracked it soup to nuts with that stuff. Most recording pros, I think, would agree that the 01V is mediocre at best in every way, and the 416 is nobody's first choice for anything musical. Yet the end result was pretty distinctive and far from awful, and a lot of people I played it for thought it was done on tape.

Point being, I'm guessing that these mic systems have a "personality" and I'd like to hear what it is.
Old 08-15-2017, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I kinda do.

It stands to reason that DIY people who do a lot of me-myself-and-I recording would be interested in either the Slate or this new one. But I don't think I've ever heard a full production, pro or am, that was entirely recorded with one. But I'd really like to. I think it'd show what its true character is, regardless of whether the emulations sound like real mics.

Part of the reason I say this is because, a few years ago I spent a long day with a lot of time to kill (waiting for client feedback) in a room with a Yamaha 01V in it, along with a Sennheiser 416 shotgun mic. I had this little song I had just written, so I tracked it soup to nuts with that stuff. Most recording pros, I think, would agree that the 01V is mediocre at best in every way, and the 416 is nobody's first choice for anything musical. Yet the end result was pretty distinctive and far from awful, and a lot of people I played it for thought it was done on tape.

Point being, I'm guessing that these mic systems have a "personality" and I'd like to hear what it is.
Yes a full production or at least a multi instrument and vocal would be interesting. Don't know if you watched the second video but it is pretty interesting . In it he does voice (His voice talking as in voiceover) and acoustic guitar and a drum kit. He does some interesting examples you can listen to and there is definitely a difference in the sounds.
But as you say the sound of mic itself will probably make it or break it and then the quality of software.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 08-16-2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I kinda do.

Brent, your make an interesting point. I remember a discussion about using the same microphone on everything for a music recording and the thought that it might have made the recording too "samey."

I don't know if this was an extrapolation of the idea of using the same voice to sing all parts of an arrangement or not. Certainly we seem to like sibling and familial duets for their special blend. That would seem to contradict the first point, if the same forces are at work.

I would guess that it depends on the particular voice, and the particular microphone. Some mics may not be as suited for multiple use than others. Whether mic modeling would create enough difference is difficult to say.

Regards,

Ty Ford

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD