The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 05-28-2018, 07:19 PM

Really enjoyed that one, Glenn. Thanks for sharing...
Old 05-28-2018, 11:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMcKee View Post
Really enjoyed that one, Glenn. Thanks for sharing...
Thank you Mike!

I appreciate your comments! Thanks for taking the time -- I'm very pleased that you like this!

- Glenn
Old 05-30-2018, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

Another great song pick and performance Glenn!

Funny how those basic bass walk downs show up over and over in songs from back then (and now as well I suppose).

Take care
Old 05-30-2018, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john57classic View Post
Another great song pick and performance Glenn!

Funny how those basic bass walk downs show up over and over in songs from back then (and now as well I suppose).

Take care
Hi John!

Thanks so much for your thoughts and comments! I am very gratified that you are listening and thought that my rendition of this old song came out okay.

It is true that those C to Am or G to Em walk-downs are so very common on songs from 30-50 years ago. And maybe even today, though I don't listen to much music on the radio anymore. YouTube and the AGF seem to be my sources for finding new music of interest.

Take care, John. I hope you are well!

- Glenn
Old 05-30-2018, 11:41 PM

Awesome, Glenn!

And this takes me back to what got me into classical guitar; a old Santana guitar who just laid around my parents house for 40 years without ever being touched untill I heard Malaguena and thought; let's try that old piece of garbage since my steel string wouldn't do it and I didn't touch any other guitar except that old Santana guitar for a couple of years.

:-D

I will upload videos on a regular basis; enjoy
Old 05-30-2018, 11:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bickb View Post
Awesome, Glenn!

And this takes me back to what got me into classical guitar; a old Santana guitar who just laid around my parents house for 40 years without ever being touched untill I heard Malaguena and thought; let's try that old piece of garbage since my steel string wouldn't do it and I didn't touch any other guitar except that old Santana guitar for a couple of years.

:-D
Hi Rick!

Thanks for watching and thanks so much for your comments and your thoughts.

- Glenn
Old 05-31-2018, 07:14 AM
*mahoganut*

Default The song itself is an "old friend"..

Thanks, Glenn, very much. I learned this one early on from one of many songbooks I bought and pored over (and I still have most of them!). It struck a heart-string when I first heard it (probably on one of the original TV specials or his show) and continues to be one of my go-to songs when I'm reflecting. Along with "My Sweet Lady" and "Poems Prayers and Promises" I was kind of "type cast" when developing any relationship with anyone new (kind of like a favorite pick-up line (which never worked well...)).

Anyway, happy to hear it from you, and on that special D35. I bought a D35 in '77, only to have it stolen in '83 -- but hearing yours brings back the richness and soulfullness I remember from that guitar.

Happy to hear yet another old favorite from you! Great job, heartfelt rendition, I'll probably play it sometime today! Although I learned it in D, and now can only manage that on my baritone!

Best,

Phil
Old 05-31-2018, 07:18 AM
Charter Member

Nailed! That was superb, Glenn. Sounds like that song was written for you to play it.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by riorider View Post
Thanks, Glenn, very much. I learned this one early on from one of many songbooks I bought and pored over (and I still have most of them!). It struck a heart-string when I first heard it (probably on one of the original TV specials or his show) and continues to be one of my go-to songs when I'm reflecting. Along with "My Sweet Lady" and "Poems Prayers and Promises" I was kind of "type cast" when developing any relationship with anyone new (kind of like a favorite pick-up line (which never worked well...)).

Anyway, happy to hear it from you, and on that special D35. I bought a D35 in '77, only to have it stolen in '83 -- but hearing yours brings back the richness and soulfullness I remember from that guitar.

Happy to hear yet another old favorite from you! Great job, heartfelt rendition, I'll probably play it sometime today! Although I learned it in D, and now can only manage that on my baritone!

Best,

Phil
Hi Phil!

It's great to hear from you! I hope you are doing well!

Thanks for the feedback and the background on your own experience. Those John Denver songs you listed are also some of my favorites of his.

- Glenn
Old 05-31-2018, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Nailed! That was superb, Glenn. Sounds like that song was written for you to play it.
Hi Kerbie,

Thank you! It does feel as if I wrote the song -- the song is very comfortable to sing and play. From the first time I heard John Denver play this song I knew it would be one of my favorites.

Thanks Kerbie!

- Glenn

Last edited by Glennwillow; 05-31-2018 at 08:19 AM.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Lovely, Glenn. Your voice is perfect for the song and your playing is so solid. I always feel like I am relaxing in a comfy easy chair when I listen to you sing and play. Thank you!

Best,
Jayne
Old 05-31-2018, 08:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
Lovely, Glenn. Your voice is perfect for the song and your playing is so solid. I always feel like I am relaxing in a comfy easy chair when I listen to you sing and play. Thank you!

Best,
Jayne
Thank you Jayne!

What a lovely compliment! Maybe part of that easy chair feeling is my not straining too much on the singing. I was thinking, though I could be wrong, that John Denver originally played this with capo on the 2nd fret but later left the capo off and dropped the pitch of the song a couple of semi tones. I think that warmed up his voice a lot and it certainly helps me, too!

Thanks so much for listening and taking the time to comment!

- Glenn
Old 05-31-2018, 08:29 AM

Very nice, I enjoyed listening. Very relaxed style, which is so difficult to obtain,
Old 05-31-2018, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbler View Post
Very nice, I enjoyed listening. Very relaxed style, which is so difficult to obtain,
Thank you Imbler!

I'm very glad you are listening! Thanks very much for your comments and for posting here!

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell