The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-08-2022, 10:33 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Cherry multiscale THGCo

Hi all,
I’m making an attempt to shed my inner-hermit, and step back into the AGF world for a moment. I know that it’s easy for many folks to navigate socially, but I’ve spent my entire life struggling with anxiety, and it can oftentimes be very problematic for me to step out of the comfort of the anonymity I find in my shop…and into a community of people (real-world or cyber-world.) It’s difficult to explain, but those of you who struggle underneath the weight of anxiety will understand.

With this being said, here I am after a long hiatus…and this is what I’m currently up to in the shop:

I’ve sprayed the final coats of lacquer for three guitars that I’ll be bringing to BIG, so while I wait for them to be ready for wet-sanding, I’ve turned my attention to other guitars in the shop.

This is my “Solis,” which is the largest of my models with a 16” lower bout. The top is quilted-Sitka from Alaska, and the back & sides are quilted-Cherry. It will have a “Laskin-styled” arm bevel, a Florentine cutaway, Tunnel14 Redwood bracing, and an upper-bout soundport…as well as multiscale architecture with a 25” to 25.75” spread.

Here are some pictures of the Cherry guitar, as well as a few pictures of my BIG offerings hanging around the shop. As always, I appreciate your interest and feedback…as well as you all being a great group of folks.
IMG_5988.jpg

IMG_5987.jpg

IMG_5985.jpg

IMG_5986.jpg

IMG_5984.jpg

IMG_5983.jpg

IMG_5885.jpg

IMG_5884.jpg

IMG_5992.jpg

IMG_5991.jpg

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.
0000/Auditorium, Sitka/Indonesian RW

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 06-08-2022, 11:03 AM
Charter Member

Good to see you out and about on the AGF, Joel!

Your BIG III guitars all look awesome as well as the Cherry Solis. Beautiful Sitka top. The bracing looks so nice and clean, and I dig the redwood bracing you've used. It gives it a nice contrast both on the top and back.

Always great to follow your posts, so I hope you'll continue to venture out into our AGF cyberworld!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 06-08-2022, 01:43 PM

Joel

Glad you're taking the step to post a bit and share, though I understand that can be a daunting thing! Thank you for sharing these beautiful builds with us! Lovely! I really like the cherry!
Old 06-08-2022, 05:05 PM
AGF Sponsor

Hi Joel,
It’s great to see your work being posted. I’ve built several guitars with very similar radial bracing but have never seen redwood used as bracing. I’d like to read your feedback on the end result and know of no reason why it wouldn’t work well. Did you use HHG on the braces? I’ve found that it adheres really well to redwood.
Old 06-08-2022, 05:32 PM
Charter Member

Very nice Joel! I've never seen Redwood braces in a guitar (at least that I am aware of). Have you built with redwood braces before? I imagine they are very stiff parallel to the grain and are probably lighter than spruce braces. Other than the "cool" factor by using Tunnel 14 redwood, I'm curious as to what sonic advantages, if any, the redwood braces might have opposed to spruce braces? Care to share your thoughts?

Just posted this, then saw that Tim is curious as well

Last edited by nootis; 06-08-2022 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Tim's Post
Old 06-09-2022, 06:27 AM
AGF Sponsor

Looks great, Joel! The redwood braces are a great idea and, like others, I eagerly await your thoughts about it. Dave
Old 06-09-2022, 08:34 AM

Wonderful guitars Joel, makes me even more excited about B.I.G., job well done on the guitars and creating excitement at least for me haha!

I do have a redwood braced guitar from Ben. He had some that were stiff and light and used them and although I can't say with a direct A/B with anything, the guitar certainly sounds great to me! I think it will be awesome. I have always loved Cherry, in fact, I choose Cherry to make my 10th grade side cabinet in shop class. Maybe I should tear that apart and make a guitar from it?
Old 06-09-2022, 02:02 PM
Charter Member

Black Cherry is a fine tonewood for back and sides (love my Black Cherry guitar). Good luck on this one...

Old 06-10-2022, 07:40 AM
AGF Sponsor

Hey Joel, the Cherry guitar is looking great! If we’re allowed to vote, I’d vote that you finish this and bring it to B.I.G. as well. I’d love to hear it. Black Cherry is on my short list of woods to try. And like others, I’m intrigued by your bracing.
Btw, it’s good to see you posting again.

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 06-10-2022, 08:48 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Wow! That Cherry Solis is a knockout. Hmmm. Maybe I'll save my cash 'til after BIG.
Old 06-10-2022, 08:50 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Good to see you out and about on the AGF, Joel!

Your BIG III guitars all look awesome as well as the Cherry Solis. Beautiful Sitka top. The bracing looks so nice and clean, and I dig the redwood bracing you've used. It gives it a nice contrast both on the top and back.

Always great to follow your posts, so I hope you'll continue to venture out into our AGF cyberworld!
Thanks Kevin. It feels good to crawl out from under this rock sometimes…and folks like you make it worth the effort. Thank you for the feedback.

-joel

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 06-10-2022, 08:58 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenewt View Post
Joel

Glad you're taking the step to post a bit and share, though I understand that can be a daunting thing! Thank you for sharing these beautiful builds with us! Lovely! I really like the cherry!
Thanks for sharing that you get it…and also for the encouragement Treenewt.

-joel

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 06-10-2022, 09:07 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
Hi Joel,
It’s great to see your work being posted. I’ve built several guitars with very similar radial bracing but have never seen redwood used as bracing. I’d like to read your feedback on the end result and know of no reason why it wouldn’t work well. Did you use HHG on the braces? I’ve found that it adheres really well to redwood.
Hi Tim,
Moving from 3 to 4 braces in the lower bout was directly influenced from your experience and feedback early on in my development, and I’m very grateful. I’ve not yet used HHG…mostly out of fear and anxiety. I’m veeeeeeery slow, plodding and methodical in every aspect of building, and the limited “open time” available with HHG has been a barrier to trying it. I’m very curious to see if there is a discernible difference in tone due to the Redwood bracing.

-joel

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 06-10-2022, 09:22 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootis View Post
Very nice Joel! I've never seen Redwood braces in a guitar (at least that I am aware of). Have you built with redwood braces before? I imagine they are very stiff parallel to the grain and are probably lighter than spruce braces. Other than the "cool" factor by using Tunnel 14 redwood, I'm curious as to what sonic advantages, if any, the redwood braces might have opposed to spruce braces? Care to share your thoughts?

Just posted this, then saw that Tim is curious as well
Hi Dan,
Thanks for your questions. I don’t yet have any tangible comparisons, though I have some expectations based on the audible differences between the guitars that I’ve built with Sitka and European Spruces versus Tunnel-14 Redwood soundboards. The Redwood braces are very stiff, and yes, slightly lighter than Sitka braces.

Although this Cherry guitar won’t be ready for BIG-III (because I spray my own nitro finishes which takes me approximately 2 months to complete)…The Cocobolo “Luna 000” has, both a T-14 soundboard & T-14 bracing…and the Bubinga “Solis 0000” also has T-14 bracing. If you’ll be attending BIG III you’ll have the opportunity to see “first-hands”

-joel

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 06-10-2022, 09:26 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpinteria View Post
Looks great, Joel! The redwood braces are a great idea and, like others, I eagerly await your thoughts about it. Dave
Thanks Dave…as I just shared with Dan, two of the three guitars I’ll be bringing to BIG III will have T-14 bracing, and one will have a T-14 soundboard as well…so you’ll get to see for yourself. I’m looking forward to seeing you folks there.

-joel

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.

TWO HANDS GUITARS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop