The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-10-2022, 09:35 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Wonderful guitars Joel, makes me even more excited about B.I.G., job well done on the guitars and creating excitement at least for me haha!

Three things:

I do have a redwood braced guitar from Ben. He had some that were stiff and light and used them and although I can't say with a direct A/B with anything, the guitar certainly sounds great to me! I think it will be awesome. I have always loved Cherry, in fact, I choose Cherry to make my 10th grade side cabinet in shop class. Maybe I should tear that apart and make a guitar from it?
Thanks Tom. Ben could take an old beat-up axe handle and build a fantastically-sounding guitar from it…so that’s no valid point of comparison for me (LOL)
As for your Cherry side cabinet, please don’t molest it…it’s part of your journey towards “guitar-enlightenment,” which needs to remain in-tact so that it is documented for all of your future followers.

Finally, in case you didn’t read it above, two of the three guitars I’ll be bringing with me to the show will have T-14 Redwood bracing.

-joel

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.
0000/Auditorium, Sitka/Indonesian RW

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 06-10-2022, 09:39 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
Black Cherry is a fine tonewood for back and sides (love my Black Cherry guitar). Good luck on this one...

Wow…that’s beautiful iim7V7IM7. Thanks for the feedback, as well as the beautiful picture.

-joel

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 06-10-2022, 09:45 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
Hey Joel, the Cherry guitar is looking great! If we’re allowed to vote, I’d vote that you finish this and bring it to B.I.G. as well. I’d love to hear it. Black Cherry is on my short list of woods to try. And like others, I’m intrigued by your bracing.
Btw, it’s good to see you posting again.

Steve
Hi Steve,
I wish I had the time to get it ready for the show too, but with the 2-months required to (spray/…wait…/sand/buff/polish) the nitro finish, I just don’t have enough days on my calendar. I appreciate your interest my friend, and look forward to seeing you and Ryan at the show this Fall.

-joel

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 06-10-2022, 09:50 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Wow! That Cherry Solis is a knockout. Hmmm. Maybe I'll save my cash 'til after BIG.
Hi Dennis…She’s surely going to be a “looker” but I don’t want to be the reason for Tom to be disappointed in you…and it would disappoint him if you didn’t spend your cash at his show

-joel

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 06-12-2022, 03:10 PM
AGF Sponsor

Here’s a peek at another guitar that I’m currently building. It’s my “Venus-00” model, and the back/sides are Wandoo (aka Pink Gum)

The guitar is close to being completed, and I’m in the process of creating a special fretboard inlay for the owner. I’ll post more about this guitar when the inlay is finished.

IMG_5998.jpg

IMG_6003.jpg

IMG_5999.jpg

IMG_6002.jpg

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 06-12-2022, 03:49 PM
Charter Member

Smile Sweet Stuff!!!

These look GREAT!

Kudos and I doubt you will be bringing any home from Texas!

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 06-17-2022, 08:54 PM
AGF Sponsor

I've had the great good fortune to be working side by side with Joel in the shop he built, for four-plus years now. We've had a great synergy. He provided a beautiful, well-built, very smartly designed lutherie atelier, and I brought in my woodworking machines and my twenty year's accumulation of hand tools, jigs, gew-gahs, and ding-dongs. I coached Joel through his first builds, and right from the beginning, I was astonished at what a natural talent he has for making guitars.

He described his way of being somewhat reticent to engage in a lot of social activity, preferring instead the company of his family, and the comfort and solace of doing meaningful work, that makes him feel so closely attuned to his Creator.
I understand that quite well, I'm the same- a shy, contemplative hermit by nature. Many luthiers are, I suppose. It's a solitary craft, requiring a depth of focused attention and a multidimensional mind that can keep the hundreds and hundreds of discreet steps involved in making guitars in some semblance of order. Joel has a level of attention to detail I've never seen in anyone, including myself. He does the cleanest, most finished work you'll ever see. His guitars are immaculate, inside and out. They sound and perform as beautifully as they look.

I gave Joel the Master's Degree course of guitar making in the first two years- at least insofar as the Edwinson method can be a Master-level of the craft. Joel learned so quickly, and internalized all the information with such clarity of purpose, pretty soon, he was taking procedures, and jiggery, and design ideas beyond where I ever did. Now it's become a situation where the teacher has become the student.

Everyone who's coming to the B.I.G. Show at Tom and Kathy's palatial home in September should make a special point of closely scrutinizing and playing Joel's guitars. They are superb in every aspect. He's doing work that compares favorably with the guitars of more well known and established luthiers who charge twice or three times as much as Joel does for their guitars. My advice-- if you're looking for a Master-class guitar for under five figures, get to know Joel, and he'll set you up with a gorgeous, brilliantly crafted sonic marvel that will thrill and amaze you every time you pick it up. And, do it soon, because as the word continues to get out, Joel's stock will be rising like the sun on a summer morning.

Last edited by theEdwinson; 06-18-2022 at 09:06 AM.
Old 06-19-2022, 10:44 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
These look GREAT!

Kudos and I doubt you will be bringing any home from Texas!

Cheers

Paul
Thanks Paul. I wouldn’t mind at all if I were to be traveling lighter on the return trip

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 06-19-2022, 10:52 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post
I've had the great good fortune to be working side by side with Joel in the shop he built, for four-plus years now. We've had a great synergy. He provided a beautiful, well-built, very smartly designed lutherie atelier, and I brought in my woodworking machines and my twenty year's accumulation of hand tools, jigs, gew-gahs, and ding-dongs. I coached Joel through his first builds, and right from the beginning, I was astonished at what a natural talent he has for making guitars.

He described his way of being somewhat reticent to engage in a lot of social activity, preferring instead the company of his family, and the comfort and solace of doing meaningful work, that makes him feel so closely attuned to his Creator.
I understand that quite well, I'm the same- a shy, contemplative hermit by nature. Many luthiers are, I suppose. It's a solitary craft, requiring a depth of focused attention and a multidimensional mind that can keep the hundreds and hundreds of discreet steps involved in making guitars in some semblance of order. Joel has a level of attention to detail I've never seen in anyone, including myself. He does the cleanest, most finished work you'll ever see. His guitars are immaculate, inside and out. They sound and perform as beautifully as they look.

I gave Joel the Master's Degree course of guitar making in the first two years- at least insofar as the Edwinson method can be a Master-level of the craft. Joel learned so quickly, and internalized all the information with such clarity of purpose, pretty soon, he was taking procedures, and jiggery, and design ideas beyond where I ever did. Now it's become a situation where the teacher has become the student.

Everyone who's coming to the B.I.G. Show at Tom and Kathy's palatial home in September should make a special point of closely scrutinizing and playing Joel's guitars. They are superb in every aspect. He's doing work that compares favorably with the guitars of more well known and established luthiers who charge twice or three times as much as Joel does for their guitars. My advice-- if you're looking for a Master-class guitar for under five figures, get to know Joel, and he'll set you up with a gorgeous, brilliantly crafted sonic marvel that will thrill and amaze you every time you pick it up. And, do it soon, because as the word continues to get out, Joel's stock will be rising like the sun on a summer morning.

Steve…the countless hours of teaching and mentorship you’ve graciously shared with me are invaluable…thank you, my Friend!!!

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 06-19-2022, 11:02 AM
AGF Sponsor

It’s about time to close the box up on this guitar…
IMG_6031.jpg

IMG_6030.jpg

IMG_6034.jpg

IMG_6027.jpg

IMG_6036.jpg

IMG_6026.jpg

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 06-19-2022, 11:35 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Teel View Post
See, guys, I told ya's! Just look at how impeccable that cherry guitar is! Even though the deep inside of the guitar will most likely never be seen by a human being, Joel takes special care to make it as close to perfect as humanly possible. It's clean as a whistle in there, even under high magnification. Not only that, he takes great care to make those invisible details beautiful. That' indicates a special level of focus and dedication.

Last edited by theEdwinson; 06-20-2022 at 09:32 AM.
Old 06-19-2022, 08:48 PM
Charter Member

Joel, your work started out great and has only gotten better! Can’t wait to see you again and play what you’ve been crafting!!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop