The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-05-2018, 07:54 AM
Charter Member

Default What to watch out for in used amps

I have bought and sold many high end guitars and have never had an issue with the items I have received. I have some concerns regarding amps due to possible abuse/poor handling and I am concerned about the tubes, speakers, and electronics (i.e. things you can't see). Is it generally pretty safe to buy used amps?

The amp in question is a handwired Vox combo and it is local so I can see it before I buy it. Is there anything I should look/listen for to indicate abuse? I would be buying from the original owner who states he has only played it in his home.

'79 Yamaha CJ-838S, '03 Martin D-41, '03 Taylor 600 SPEC, '99 Taylor 714, '08 Gibson J45R, '01 G & L Legacy
Old 07-05-2018, 11:28 AM

what vox is it and how old? original receipt? ask if any work has been done on it. if so, is there a receipt? look at the general condition. clean or abused? any changes to the amp such as new tubes? or are they original?

with the amp on, i listen for any noises with the volume and tone knobs off. then i turn each one up and listen. play it with YOUR guitar plugged into each input. listen for any problems with the speaker. if you can see the guts, check to see if the tubes are operating properly with no red plating. also check to see that the components are original and that you see no blackened components.

i also look at the screws that hold the amp together to see if anyone has taken them off. that could be a sign that work has been done within.

the handwired, i've heard, are great sounding and usually command more $$.

good luck.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics

Last edited by muscmp; 07-05-2018 at 11:31 AM. Reason: additions
Old 07-05-2018, 07:36 PM
Charter Member

AC15HW1X recent/fairly new.

'79 Yamaha CJ-838S, '03 Martin D-41, '03 Taylor 600 SPEC, '99 Taylor 714, '08 Gibson J45R, '01 G & L Legacy
Old 07-05-2018, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM View Post
AC15HW1X recent/fairly new.
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
...the handwired, i've heard, are great sounding and usually command more $$...
- which makes me wonder why he's selling it so quickly...
Old 07-05-2018, 10:02 PM

Quote:
I have bought and sold many high end guitars and have never had an issue with the items I have received. I have some concerns regarding amps due to possible abuse/poor handling and I am concerned about the tubes, speakers, and electronics (i.e. things you can't see). Is it generally pretty safe to buy used amps?

The amp in question is a handwired Vox combo and it is local so I can see it before I buy it. Is there anything I should look/listen for to indicate abuse? I would be buying from the original owner who states he has only played it in his home.
Sounds legit to me. I know how to weild a soldering iron and change tubes, so not so much a concern. Unlike a high end acoustic guitar, an amp can be fixed and modded, but that being said my only pet peeve in shopping for a used tube amp is a burnt out jewel light.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
I wouldn’t be worried about that. It could be buyers remorse, it could be not working for him like he thought it would. Sometimes better amps are more revealing, and if you have sloppy technique, they will highlight the sloppiness.

Maybe he’s a Fender guy, and he wanted to try out a Vox and just didn’t vibe with it like he had hoped he would.

I’ve played many high-end amplifiers that were very unforgiving. A good friend of mine who is an amazing player has a vintage Marshall that he says sounds amazing if he’s having a good day, and terrible if he’s not.

Some people like to flip amps and guitars all the time. Some people buy used just so they don’t take a big hit when they sell. That way they get to try out as many amps is they want.

They’ll say things like “it’s the best amp I’ve ever heard in my life, my wife just says I need to thin the herd...”

Why would you sell the best amp you ever heard? Why wouldn’t you just sell some of the other cows?

Tangent: I bought and Eastman E10SS. I loved everything about it. It sounded incredible. I couldn’t believe it. Then I tried to sing over it. It was so loud and projected so much, that it was obnoxious to sing over. Just had too much of everything for what I wanted on my solo gigs .

I sold it for the same reason that I sold my Martin D 28. Great guitar, but horses for courses

Then, I bought a Gibson J 45 and never looked back. My cousin bought my Eastman and absolutely loves it.

What didn’t work for me, work for him perfectly. He got a great deal on it and we’re both happy.

Last edited by The Kid!; 07-05-2018 at 10:14 PM.
Old 07-06-2018, 01:51 AM

Number 1 on my list for any used amp is to pull the fuse and compare it to the label on the amp. If it doesn't match in value, or heaven forbid is wrapped in foil, run away. People will see a fuse blowing as simply a nuisance and pop in a larger one to keep playing, ignoring the fact that fuses that are properly sized very seldom "just blow". This leads to damaging large, expensive things like transformers.

On a newer amp like you're looking at, any service issues should be minimal. On any amp greater than 10 years old, budget in some bench time with a good tech for a once over to check operation and possibly a recap (service) to keep it running like new.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 07-06-2018, 05:45 AM
Guitar Gourmet

The first thing I typically check is the transformers. Is there any resin leakage or hint of overheating? From there it is hints of abuse: There's a difference between a well-loved amp and one that has been chucked into the back of the station wagon too enthusiastically.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 07-06-2018, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post

He’s got quite a few items for sale and says once he raises the cash he needs, he will pull stuff back down. He’s also offering trades.

Old 07-06-2018, 10:11 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
He’s got quite a few items for sale and says once he raises the cash he needs, he will pull stuff back down. He’s also offering trades.
Matt,
In his ad the pictures certainly present as 'like new'.

The price is right.

Search Reverb if you need proof.

HE
Old 07-07-2018, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintj View Post
Number 1 on my list for any used amp is to pull the fuse and compare it to the label on the amp. If it doesn't match in value, or heaven forbid is wrapped in foil, run away. People will see a fuse blowing as simply a nuisance and pop in a larger one to keep playing, ignoring the fact that fuses that are properly sized very seldom "just blow". This leads to damaging large, expensive things like transformers.

On a newer amp like you're looking at, any service issues should be minimal. On any amp greater than 10 years old, budget in some bench time with a good tech for a once over to check operation and possibly a recap (service) to keep it running like new.
Hi Clint - I wasn't aware of this. Does the fuse state the amp model on it?
Old 07-07-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
dru: the fuse usually will have .75 up to, usually, 3 amp listed on it. also lists voltage.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 07-07-2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
The amp will have a label or marking on it stating the correct fuse rating, like 2A Slow Blow for example. The fuse in that amp, when you pull it out, will have a marking such as 250V 2A stamped in it somewhere. I've gotten more than one amp in for repair where there was a 5A or larger fuse, usually accompanied by one or more destroyed components inside the amp. The worst was over $300 in repairs because someone didn't want to spend the $2 or so to buy the correct fuse.

In short, a fuse rated over what the amp is designed for is usually a good sign there's a problem lurking inside.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 07-07-2018, 02:41 PM

Thanks guys - makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
dru: the fuse usually will have .75 up to, usually, 3 amp listed on it. also lists voltage.

play music!
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintj View Post
The amp will have a label or marking on it stating the correct fuse rating, like 2A Slow Blow for example. The fuse in that amp, when you pull it out, will have a marking such as 250V 2A stamped in it somewhere. I've gotten more than one amp in for repair where there was a 5A or larger fuse, usually accompanied by one or more destroyed components inside the amp. The worst was over $300 in repairs because someone didn't want to spend the $2 or so to buy the correct fuse.

In short, a fuse rated over what the amp is designed for is usually a good sign there's a problem lurking inside.
Old 07-08-2018, 05:44 AM
Charter Member

I buy amps, and then another amp might look interesting, and I will sell one. I have a Marshall DSL 401 for sale now on CL, although no one is buying. I am practically giving it away, but no offers. I just like other tones now.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars