The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-05-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguy View Post
So I went to GC and played a Blues Cube Hot that they had on the floor. Not the artist, but the same time lineage. Not a bad amp at all, but not in the same league as my PR. Crisis averted! Thanks for the reasonable and sane comments. My PR will not leave my house!
Pheww.
Old 07-05-2018, 04:49 PM

To get rid of a PRRI for a Blues Cube would certainly be a rather, ah, unusual choice.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:20 PM

Quote:
So I went to GC and played a Blues Cube Hot that they had on the floor. Not the artist, but the same time lineage. Not a bad amp at all, but not in the same league as my PR. Crisis averted! Thanks for the reasonable and sane comments. My PR will not leave my house!
get that strat out and fender it up!

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 07-05-2018, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Keep the Princeton at all costs - one of electric guitardom's iconic tone machines, you'll kick yourself later if you get rid of it, and good luck finding another one like yours;
Great advice. I've got a Super Reverb I have really no need for anymore (used to gig with it in the seventies), but I'll never part with it.

Also, I've seen people above recommending modeling amps. I don't agree. I bought a Fender Champion 40 a short while back as a companion to the Super Reverb. At the time I was also thinking of a Fender modeling amp. Someone on here gave me some advice which made me decide on the Champion 40 immediately. He said (paraphrasing) "If you want to play with an amplifier, get the Champion. If you want to spend your time playing with a computer, get the modeling amp."

Nuff said, for me.
Maton EBG808
Alvarez AP66SB
Yamaha LL16R A.R.E.
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Electric:
1966 Fender Super Reverb
2016 Fender Champion 40
1969 Fender Thinline Tele
2015 Epiphone ES-339 Pro
2016 Fender MIA American Standard Strat
2019 Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat

Last edited by Jerry D; 07-05-2018 at 08:57 PM.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
...I bought a Fender Champion 40 a short while back as a companion to my Super Reverb...
Bought a Frontman 212R about five years ago for the same reason: big power for big shows, Fender blackface clean in spades (I'm mostly a clean player anyway), serviceable if not great OD (sounds better with certain guitars than others), 30% lighter than the Super - and although it'll never have the same sweet tube mojo my back and my wife will both be happier for it...
Old 07-06-2018, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Great advice. I've got a Super Reverb I have really no need for anymore (used to gig with it in the seventies), but I'll never part with it.

Also, I've seen people above recommending modeling amps. I don't agree. I bought a Fender Champion 40 a short while back as a companion to the Super Reverb. At the time I was also thinking of a Fender modeling amp. Someone on here gave me some advice which made me decide on the Champion 40 immediately. He said (paraphrasing) "If you want to play with an amplifier, get the Champion. If you want to spend your time playing with a computer, get the modeling amp."

Nuff said, for me.
Fender Champ 40 is a modelling amp.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 07-06-2018, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulp1960 View Post
Fender Champ 40 is a modelling amp.
A Fender Mustang GT 40 is a modeling amp (Wi-Fi Capabilities, Bluetooth, Smartphone App, USB Connectivity, Stereo Power, and Onboard Looper). A Champion 40 is not a modeling amp, though it has a few settings to emulate other types of amps.
Maton EBG808
Alvarez AP66SB
Yamaha LL16R A.R.E.
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Electric:
1966 Fender Super Reverb
2016 Fender Champion 40
2015 Epiphone ES-339 Pro
Old 07-07-2018, 04:53 AM

Quote:
A Fender Mustang GT 40 is a modeling amp (Wi-Fi Capabilities, Bluetooth, Smartphone App, USB Connectivity, Stereo Power, and Onboard Looper). A Champion 40 is not a modeling amp, though it has a few settings to emulate other types of amps.
Here is a quote from this Fender website:

https://shop.fender.com/en-GB/guitar....html?rl=en_US

"AMP MODELING
This amplifier features digital amplifier modeling encompassing a variety of amp types old and new, U.S. and U.K., and more. From classic Fender amp sounds to modern designs voiced for specific styles (i.e., metal), it’s just like having several amps in one."
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 07-07-2018, 06:22 AM
Charter Member

Default Should I??? - No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
My thoughts:
  • Keep the Princeton at all costs - one of electric guitardom's iconic tone machines, you'll kick yourself later if you get rid of it, and good luck finding another one like yours
...snip...
Totally agree. You already own one of the greatest bedroom Electric Blues amps ever made. Keep it.

To get the pushed amp tones at low volume levels you're looking for, I'd suggest picking up the Electro-Harmonix Soul Food. It is a fantastic boost/overdrive pedal, and by using different volume and drive settings you can get a remarkable range of pushed tube amp tones without rattling your windows. The combination of the PRRI and the Soul Food will sound incredible. I'd also add a reverb pedal if you're truly unhappy with the PRRI's verb.

I have tried and tried, with an open mind, to find a solid state solution to electric guitar amplification. Unfortunately, I think there is just no substitute for tube amps. The Roland Blues Cube Artist, the Boss Katana, and other high-end solid state amps are great...but they just are not a substitute for a great tube amp. Of course, YMMV.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 07-07-2018, 07:08 AM

Quote:
You seem to be very confused about what a modeling amp is. None of the things you listed as constituents of "modeling" have anything to do with amp modeling The one you did mention (settings to emulate...) is actually the one that shows that it is a modeling amp.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulp1960 View Post
Here is a quote from this Fender website:

https://shop.fender.com/en-GB/guitar....html?rl=en_US

"AMP MODELING
This amplifier features digital amplifier modeling encompassing a variety of amp types old and new, U.S. and U.K., and more. From classic Fender amp sounds to modern designs voiced for specific styles (i.e., metal), it’s just like having several amps in one."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
You seem to be very confused about what a modeling amp is. None of the things you listed as constituents of "modeling" have anything to do with amp modeling The one you did mention (settings to emulate...) is actually the one that shows that it is a modeling amp.
I think we are splitting hairs here. But getting back to my original comment, notice that Sweetwater calls the Mustang 40 a modeling amp:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...6.5-inch-combo

but they DO NOT refer to the Champion 40 as a modeling amp, but just say that it has "Selectable Amp Voicing", a very different thing.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...inch-combo-amp
Maton EBG808
Alvarez AP66SB
Yamaha LL16R A.R.E.
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Electric:
1966 Fender Super Reverb
2016 Fender Champion 40
2015 Epiphone ES-339 Pro
Old 07-08-2018, 06:48 AM

Quote:
I think we are splitting hairs here. But getting back to my original comment, notice that Sweetwater calls the Mustang 40 a modeling amp:

but they DO NOT refer to the Champion 40 as a modeling amp, but just say that it has "Selectable Amp Voicing", a very different thing.

This is just conversation, so I'm not going to drag it out. How Fender describes the amp in its marketing literature has nothing at all to do with the subject. Where do you think those "selectable amp voices" come from? Just Google the term "amp modeling" it's very straightforward .
Old 07-08-2018, 10:20 AM

Default Should I???

Well said Ed In Ohio. The Soul Food is quite good. I have a TC Electronic MojoMojo OD pedal now. I had the Soul Food With a different amp. I like the Mojo a lot but I may need to add the SF back for some extra sauce! I clearly had a “what was I thinking?!” moment with my PRRI. My favorite amp of all time is the Super Reverb but my house is not a stadium [emoji4] The PRRI to me is a shrunken Super Reverb.
Old 07-08-2018, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well said Ed In Ohio. The Soul Food is quite good. I have a TC Electronic MojoMojo OD pedal now.
The MojoMojo is a great pedal! Have you seen Paul Gilbert's demo video for it. Great stuff!

https://youtu.be/Le4wL362MVU

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 07-08-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:

If it makes you feel better to believe (wrongly) that your Champ 40 is not a modeling amp then so be it. No point arguing with somebody like that.
Yamaha BB414 Bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars