The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-14-2018, 10:03 AM

Default Can I fix this myself?

https://imgur.com/a/oWZTWvL

I came to work and discovered this on my Martin D Jr. the closest authorized repair center is over 200 miles away. Any repair costs will likely exceed the value of the guitar, so how do I fix it myself?

I figure I just use titebond 2 and clamp it?
Old 11-14-2018, 10:42 AM

Yikes!

Well, that one is not as simple as it looks. That crack goes across all the bracing in the back so not only to you have to align the crack perfectly to clamp it but you also have to reglue the bracing. That's not really a DIY fix IMHO. But like you said if the cost outweighs the fix you may as well try.

Aligning the crack is one of the hardest things to do. I use tuning machine clamps for that. I will make cauls that fit the sides out of 2x4 and cork. Band saw the 2x4 to the side profile and line it with cork. Using the tuning machine clamps to align everything and then clamp the sides together. I'd use something like epoxy or Fish Glue for this one becasue you are going to need a lot of open time to get every thing right.

In this particular pic I am not using the tuner clamps but rather jacks on the inside and plexiglass on the out. But you can see the cauls that I am talking about.

Old 11-14-2018, 11:34 AM

While you are at it, is the top sunk appreciably across its width? That looks like a crack resulting from extreme dryness to me. If you glue it back up but don't do something to add moisture to the guitar, more cracks will appear.

Clamping and gluing is not that difficult. Making it nearly invisible is the challenging part. (I'm not a qualified repair tech, nor do I play one on TV, but I have fixed some of my own guitars when necessary).
Old 11-14-2018, 12:13 PM

The top looks fine to me, it's not sunken or anything. Actually I don't see any signs other than this crack that their isn't enough moisture. It's been in my office for months in a climate controlled room.

So should I humidify it before I glue it together, while I'm gluing it together, or right after? Will it make a difference?

Last edited by micahwc; 11-14-2018 at 12:37 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 01:55 PM

It definitely looks like a dryness problem. Especially if you just found it like that. If you live in a cold part of the world and they started running heat inside buildings the RH will plummet.

So yes definitely humidify the guitar first. Hopefully to the point where the crack closes up nice and tight. You will want to cleat the crack on the inside too.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:06 PM

As already mentioned, back cracks are one of the hardest to do correctly.

You need to make sure the guitar is correctly humidifed first, so buy a gauge that reads humidity.

You need to both glue the internal braces back on and join the back together at the same time, not an easy feat for someone with no repairing experience.

Personally, I would consider pulling the back all together, mainly because of the loose braces, so much more is happening IMO underneath

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 11-15-2018, 10:46 AM

I'm humidifying it at the moment. I'll pick up some more clamps tonight and hopefully get it started.

This isn't my first acoustic repair, but it will definitely be the most involved.
Old 11-16-2018, 05:27 AM

Sent you a pm showing step by step

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 11-16-2018, 05:40 AM
Charter Member

For what it’s worth, I would use regular Titebond rather than Titebond II
Old 11-19-2018, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micahwc View Post

Any repair costs will likely exceed the value of the guitar, so how do I fix it myself?
I am astonished by the sentence above. Do you mean the guitar in the broken shape or when it has been repaired?
Old 11-19-2018, 08:46 PM

In my shop, pulling the back fixing and refitting would cost around 300

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 11-20-2018, 01:06 AM

A $300 repair on a $500 guitar seems like a poor investment. It’s a Martin D jr.

I got the crack closed and got it all glued together. Thanks for the help everyone. It’s not the prettiest repair ever but it holds tune and sounds good.
Old 11-20-2018, 01:35 AM

Agreed,

But for me, its irrespective the brand of the guitar, it is the physical process of doing the repair which in this instance I would have recommended pulling tyhe back

Good to see its done but

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 11-20-2018, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micahwc View Post

I came to work and discovered this on my Martin D Jr. the closest authorized repair center is over 200 miles away. Any repair costs will likely exceed the value of the guitar, so how do I fix it myself?

I figure I just use titebond 2 and clamp it?

There are a lot of us "Unathorized" who are just as qualified if not more qualified to make these repairs ;-)
Old 11-20-2018, 03:29 PM

Not the prettiest repair, but it works

https://imgur.com/a/okB88L1

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair