The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-13-2018, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel and wood View Post
New to electric, I recommend a solid state amp like the Fender Mustang straight up. (Lets you experiment with all sorts of sounds, in-built tuner, loads of effects and cheaper than a tube amp and a whole bunch of pedals which you can get later if that's what you want and when you know what you want).

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of tube amps, but starting out in particular, I'd be getting something like a Fender Mustang.
I think the main thing with say for example the Fender Mustang GT-100 is the basic clean tone - if it’s bright, dynamic, 3d, and I’ll add ‘annoyingly bright’ and touch sensitive, it’s a winner. The onus is on the guitarist to roll back on the tone.

Last edited by Jaden; 11-20-2018 at 11:03 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwmct View Post
Too many, from my perspective. I don't think I have got far in finding out what tones I can get with my fingers, the basic controls on the basic Tele, and the PRRI.
All very true, which is why the "get the small tube amp" advice is valid for many. Substitute an original Princeton for the PRRI and add a wah and Big Muff, and that's how I started out.

The reason the modeling amp "to start out on electric" works for others, is that if you don't know your genre yet, or if you know you want to genre-hop on a budget, modern modeling is so cost-effective that it's hard to deny. There's a lot of indie rock, experimental music and metal timbres that aren't in my Princeton or yours. Pedals will get you there for everything other than certain metal tones, but a bunch of pedals (while fun to get) isn't cheap and simple way to go.

And particularly at home, the ability for a modeler to work out reasonable approximations of higher gain tones with the neighbors not noticing is a plus. Those same setting of course will not work on stage at stage volumes, but then modelers don't mind have lots of slots with different settings. Clean playing? Different story. Yes, you may tweak your tone controls a bit over what you'd use with a band, but a small tube amp can sound good even at "I have neighbors" volumes.

Both paths are valid, as they will work for some people and some aims, and then, not for others.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 11-14-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
All very true, which is why the "get the small tube amp" advice is valid for many. Substitute an original Princeton for the PRRI and add a wah and Big Muff, and that's how I started out.

The reason the modeling amp "to start out on electric" works for others, is that if you don't know your genre yet, or if you know you want to genre-hop on a budget, modern modeling is so cost-effective that it's hard to deny. There's a lot of indie rock, experimental music and metal timbres that aren't in my Princeton or yours. Pedals will get you there for everything other than certain metal tones, but a bunch of pedals (while fun to get) isn't cheap and simple way to go.

And particularly at home, the ability for a modeler to work out reasonable approximations of higher gain tones with the neighbors not noticing is a plus. Those same setting of course will not work on stage at stage volumes, but then modelers don't mind have lots of slots with different settings. Clean playing? Different story. Yes, you may tweak your tone controls a bit over what you'd use with a band, but a small tube amp can sound good even at "I have neighbors" volumes.

Both paths are valid, as they will work for some people and some aims, and then, not for others.
My thoughts and beautifully summed up.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwmct View Post
Too many, from my perspective. I don't think I have got far in finding out what tones I can get with my fingers, the basic controls on the basic Tele, and the PRRI.

And you can find your tone and when you’re sure of the tone you want, you can built your tube rig. And sell the modeling amp at minimal loss.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:42 PM
Charter Member

Default Going to play guitars tomorrow

Wow, it sure is easy to go down the electric rabbit hole. I'm visiting Guitar Showcase tomorrow in San Jose to play as many different models as I can get my hands on. I'm not buying, as I'm heading to SF for the weekend to hang with friends. I've been spending time on Youtube, checking out different pedals, amps, effects, etc.

Obviously it's pretty daunting initially, as so many activities/hobbies can be. I'll know more after tomorrow. Thanks again for all the suggestions.
Old 11-17-2018, 01:01 PM

You've basically got two choices: get a guitar with single coils and spend your time trying to make it sound "fatter" or get a guitar with humbuckers and spend your time trying to make it sound brighter.

Which brings us to a fundamental truth about electrics v acoustic guitars: you have to learn how to dial in a sound. Guitar, pickups, amp & speaker are really just individual parts of one big instrument. They all work together to deliver the final sound.
Old 11-17-2018, 07:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
You've basically got two choices: get a guitar with single coils and spend your time trying to make it sound "fatter" or get a guitar with humbuckers and spend your time trying to make it sound brighter.

Which brings us to a fundamental truth about electrics v acoustic guitars: you have to learn how to dial in a sound. Guitar, pickups, amp & speaker are really just individual parts of one big instrument. They all work together to deliver the final sound.
Completely agree with your second paragraph But there is one other choice which is what I did. Get a guitar with a split coils and have both brighter and fatter.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 11-17-2018, 09:09 PM

Default Newbie to electrics. Any advice appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Completely agree with your second paragraph But there is one other choice which is what I did. Get a guitar with a split coils and have both brighter and fatter.

Yeah but then there’s that pesky single coil tone that you’ll never get from a split ‘bucker.

Tone quest never ends. [emoji23]
Old 11-18-2018, 07:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
Yeah but then there’s that pesky single coil tone that you’ll never get from a split ‘bucker.

Tone quest never ends. [emoji23]
Maybe but since I never had it, I don't miss it One advantage to not having played any electric for some 47 years (until two years ago when I became inflicted with E-GAS ) is i have no preconceived tone in my head to chase.

The array of tones I do get is pretty satisfying so far, have to see what the future holds . Maybe E-GAS will strike again
Unfortunately the one Fender I was interested in was a limited edition and is no longer available, such is life

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 11-18-2018 at 08:08 AM.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:31 AM

Default Newbie to electrics. Any advice appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Maybe but since I never had it, I don't miss it One advantage to not having played any electric for some 47 years (until two years ago when I became inflicted with E-GAS ) is i have no preconceived tone in my head to chase.

The array of tones I do get is pretty satisfying so far, have to see what the future holds . Maybe E-GAS will strike again

Unfortunately the one Fender I was interested in was a limited edition and is no longer available, such is life

The main thing is that it sounds good to your ears. I’ve seen some amazing tones coming out of split coils. Especially when you can select from north and south coils. My uncle is a electric guitar luthier and his guitar design has a 5-way selector for just the bridge humbucker. Pretty cool stuff.
Old 11-20-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post

Or get a guitar with my favorite configuration - an HB and a SC or P90 SC). G&L Bluesboy, G&L Fallout, Yamaha Pacifica 612.

I do agree that many tapped or split HB's sound rather anemic as a SC.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 11-20-2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
Or get a guitar with my favorite configuration - an HB and a SC or P90 SC). G&L Bluesboy, G&L Fallout, Yamaha Pacifica 612.

I do agree that many tapped or split HB's sound rather anemic as a SC.
This exists at a very good price point. Squier Affinity Strat in race green with/H-S-S ( humbucker, single,single) pick ups...Real Fender pick ups, rosewood neck, great frets, great neck profile, under 200 at Sweetwater. I bought one, love it, plays and sounds great. If you like the sounds you can get you can "move up " if you want to something a bit more refined but this thing is no slouch. It rocks. Dont let the low price fool you.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:39 PM

I got my first electric a couple of months ago. After trying a strat and
a tele, I settled on a tele. Found a FSR butterscotch for cheap. Since I’m mainly sitting in my living room playing even a little Blues Jr that I was trying seemed like overkill.

I ended up with a Yamaha THR10c which is absolutely stunning for what it is.

So.much.fun.
Gibson J-30
Walden CO500 (camper)
Fender FSR BSB Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars