The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-09-2011, 08:29 AM

Default FeedBack

So, having issues with my Taylor 110 plugged in creating a large amount of vibration and feedback when plugged into the PA.

I do not have ES pickups on this, I have some Passive K&K ( not really sure what they are)

I have the Guitar equipped with a Sound Hole cover, it's also plugged into an L.R.Bragg DI/Pre-am ( The Para- DI) with notch filter and all but it's still causing an issue.

I was thinking that perhaps upgrading the pickups with something that's Active and comes with a pre-amp. I think that would be a good idea and might help solve my problem.

Does anyone think the same thing? should I upgrade my pickups?
and second. What are decent pickups for acoustic, to use in a Live environment with a very loud rock band.

I play in a very LOUD rock band that plays pretty big shows with full PA's and monitors (and we don't have a sound guy). I am trying to keep up with an acoustic guitar while everyone else is on electrics. So. that's my problem and I am trying to fix it without spending a Crap ton on a new Taylor 814ce guitar.
Taylor 110 2004 (Made in America)
Taylor NS32ce 2010
Fender American Standard Strat tobacco sunburst 2010
Fender American Deluxe Telecaster cherry sunburst 2010
"The" Gibson F2 Mandolin 1914
Old 09-09-2011, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldrif View Post
I have some Passive K&K

I was thinking that perhaps upgrading the pickups with something that's Active and comes with a pre-amp. I think that would be a good idea and might help solve my problem.

I play in a very LOUD rock band that plays pretty big shows with full PA's and monitors (and we don't have a sound guy). .
I don't believe it is an issue of active or passive pickups. Sound Board Transducers (SBT) like K&K are often NOT a good match for playing with loud rock bands. Your live playing situation would probably benefit from an Undersaddle Transducer (UST) pick-up, however, I would not characterize this as an upgrade since USTs are known for their quacky tone, but, they are the best at resisting feedback in a live band.

It is all a trade-off between natural tone and feedback fighting.

Steve
Old 09-09-2011, 09:22 AM
Me

I had the same problem. Pull the K&K and put in a DTAR Wavelength.
Remember that no pickup is feedback proof, but SBT's are more trouble than UST's.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:36 AM

Don't stand in front of stage monitors when playing the acoustic guitar. Or don't have your acoustic guitar going through the monitors in the first place. Or put some distance between you and your acoustic guitar amp.

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp
Old 09-09-2011, 11:01 AM

Thanks for the info.
I will take the trade off on the sound to reduce the feedback.

can I get more info on the ?DTAR Wavelength? I have never heard of these
Taylor NS32ce 2010
Old 09-09-2011, 11:37 AM

The D-TAR Wavelength, to the best of my knowledge, uses the same UST as the Baggs Element. However, it has a higher headroom preamp that results in much less (almost no) quack and better dynamic response. I replaced an Element in one of my guitars with the Wavelength and the difference was dramatic.

I ordered mine from Shoreline, along with the VT Module (soundhole mountable volume and tone controls). Here's a link:

http://www.shorelinemusic.com/amplification/dtar.shtml
Old 09-09-2011, 11:50 AM

Is your feedback mostly low frequency? The LR Baggs DI has a very high input impedance, which isn't necessarily a good match for your K&K pickup. Before buying a new pickup you may want to grab an electric guitar stompbox (a Boss tuner or something) that DOESN'T have true bypass. Put it in between the K&K and the DI, but don't turn on the effect. The effect pedal should have an input impedance of around 1 megaohm, which is a decent match for the K&K pickup. This will roll off some of the lower frequencies and may help with your feedback problem. Also, using an acoustic amp placed behind you rather than a floor monitor to hear your guitar should help a lot.

If you still have feedback issues and want to try another pickup, you may want to look into a magnetic soundhole pickup. This should be the most feedback-resistant option and would be easy to install. Check out some sound clips of the Wavelength as well as some magnetic pickups and see which sound you prefer.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob7point7 View Post
If you still have feedback issues and want to try another pickup, you may want to look into a magnetic soundhole pickup.
Been there, wrestled with that. I suspect your answer is going to lie in a magnetic pickup. The lows are driving your top and you get the rumble and howl. I've gotten it with USTs. It's never easy working with the volume you have to generate to play in a rock band with an acoustic. A notch fiter might help, but at those levels . . . .

Another possibility. If someone in the band owns a headphone amp (maybe you?) split your guitar signal between a DI to FOH and the headphone amp to a set of wired earbuds. Do not put your acoustic into the monitors, at least not at it's current level. Now you'll be able to hear your guitar and the sound guy will send it out front.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:27 AM

Some additional tips before compromising your tone:

Seeing as you are one element of a rock band any frequencies below 150 hz are going to be in the way so a high pass filter set between 150 - 200 hz will reduce low-mid feedback as well as help you cut through the mix. A notch filter on the eq to the monitor to identify and filter out the worst remaining offenders is useful - the filter on your preamp is affecting the tone going into the mix whereas you really want to be able to notch the monitor eq. finally if there is a polarity/phase reverse on the monitor feed or on the monitor itself if it is active using it can work wonders.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden

Last edited by pieterh; 09-10-2011 at 01:32 AM. Reason: added detail re notch filters
Old 09-10-2011, 06:28 AM

Default thank you

You guys are awesome!!!! thanks! all this is great info!!!
Taylor NS32ce 2010

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification