The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-16-2022, 06:30 PM

I tell my students that if they're serious about becoming players they need to build it into their routine. As previously mentioned, I think weekly lessons make a student accountable.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 08-16-2022, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas007 View Post
OMGosh, 😲 I'm floored, I guess I didn't expect the answers from most of the responses so far. I guess I was hoping a lot of you would suggest like once a month or something.

I should have stated in my original post that I am using Justin's free website but, I'm all over the place with what I practice and feel like I learn a tiny bit of a lot of stuff, but not all of anything. And yes, that's my fault.

Yes I will look at peghead and the other place you suggested. Most of the estimates I've seen for online for individual lessons were for like $45, $50 per hour. I was a welder for a living and the most I ever made was in the upper 30's an hour. I just got rid of a car payment that was a little over $200 a month, but that's a necessity. I don't every see my self playing the guitar for money, but I may have to at those prices.

And no, knowing that $12 in 1968 is now $102 doesn't make me feel better about it 🙂. My parents were footing the bill back then. 😉

I guess I'm just kinda bummed, but I really thank you for your honesty and advice as always, I love this forum.

Do what you can afford: 1/2 hour lessons or every 4 weeks are ways to economize I would hate to see anyone have to economize sol much that they did not get much benefit from it. what will be best for you is, so far, an unknown. We don't know how much time you can devote to practice, how adept you will prove to be, or how well any particular instructor will work with you. I think I'd start with lessons and then branch out to on-line assistance. Some people do quite well with just that. However I know I learn better on a one on one basis and have suspicions you may be the same way. Maybe not of course. Perhaps a combination of in person and on-line will be your ticket.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 08-16-2022, 06:49 PM

Quote:

So I'm trying to teach myself how to play. It seems like an impossible task for a slow learner like myself. As much as lessons cost these days I really can't afford them

Just keep in mind I'm retired, slow on the uptake and need a lot of repetition for things to sink in.
JustinGuitar is a free online course that you do at your own speed

https://www.justinguitar.com/
Old 08-16-2022, 07:29 PM
Charter Member

My instructor insisted on once a week, half an hour for $25. He has 35 years teaching experience,a music degree, a touring, producing and recording background and gigs on several stringed instruments. I decided to let him call the shots and 5 years later I’m glad I did.
Old 08-16-2022, 07:31 PM

Default a thought

Sounds a lot like my instructor. And the same response from me: Immensely fulfilling experience. And learning to insult a guitar at the same time!
Old 08-16-2022, 07:38 PM

Are you into classical guitars? If so, check this out:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=356455

The big problem with self-teaching is the lack of objective feedback from somebody else besides yourself. You can only judge yourself based on what you know, and sometimes, you check don't know a mistake when you see/hear it while learning. The Delcamp class solves that by having others (students and teaching assistant volunteers) comment on your playing.

WRT peghead nation, I see the same problems with self-teaching.
Old 08-16-2022, 07:45 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
I no I am burning up the forum here lately, I love this place.

So I'm trying to teach myself how to play. It seems like an impossible task for a slow learner like myself. As much as lessons cost these days I really can't afford them, but I can't help but think I might be progressing faster with more personal guidance.

I took lessons when I was in the 6th grade once a week. They were about $12 in 1968. With today's prices my question is:
How often, meaning with what frequency do you feel people need to take lessons to make it worth while?
(Edit) Also, what's your opinion of Peghead Nation video lessons?

I know answers will vary for different people from not at all to weekly and its hard to say. Just keep in mind I'm retired, slow on the uptake and need a lot of repetition for things to sink in.
There is so much stuff on the internet now to help someone learn that I would say maybe once every two weeks, but practicing every day is essential. You can always just double check on something by doing a search on youtube. Don't forget that 99% of the roadblock to learning guitar is changing chords in a timely fashion.

Using a phone to record what you are doing will keep your ego in place...

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 08-16-2022, 08:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from Brooklyn View Post
I tell my students that if they're serious about becoming players they need to build it into their routine. As previously mentioned, I think weekly lessons make a student accountable.
I'm not in anyway trying to be smart aleck with you, I'm interested in your response. What if you had someone tell you they're not that serious, they're just in it to learn some new things and have fun with it? What would you tell them?

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 08-16-2022, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
I'm not in anyway trying to be smart aleck with you, I'm interested in your response. What if you had someone tell you they're not that serious, they're just in it to learn some new things and have fun with it? What would you tell them?
Ok, I had a friend of my son that pretty much matches that profile. Actually a pretty talented kid but he no-showed me one time too many so I asked him to stop coming. He wasn't the type of person I was interested in working with.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 08-16-2022, 09:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from Brooklyn View Post
Ok, I had a friend of my son that pretty much matches that profile. Actually a pretty talented kid but he no-showed me one time too many so I asked him to stop coming. He wasn't the type of person I was interested in working with.
Fair enough. It sound like you're a serious teacher as well. I can understand dropping a student who doesn't show up. My teacher is good with teaching someone who is more in it for fun. So that's why he suggested every other week. And I'm never a no show because we're having a good time learning to play the guitar and that's what I'm in it for.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/

Last edited by rllink; 08-16-2022 at 09:34 PM.
Old 08-16-2022, 11:18 PM
Charter Member

When I last worked with a teacher, I started at once a week for a half hour and then moved to a half hour every other week. Biweekly definitely gave me more time to explore and apply some of what I’d learned as opposed to just cramming for the next weeks lesson. Half an hour isn’t much time- we were always running short - but if you could afford half an hour every other week I bet it would be helpful.
Old 08-17-2022, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraser View Post
JustinGuitar is a free online course that you do at your own speed

https://www.justinguitar.com/
Page 1, post #8, paragraph 2. OP is aware of and using that site.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...87&postcount=8

Last edited by 619TF; 08-17-2022 at 03:20 AM.
Old 08-17-2022, 03:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
...As much as lessons cost these days I really can't afford them, but I can't help but think I might be progressing faster with more personal guidance...
I think that a one-off coaching session may just do the job you are seeking. I may be wrong but it sort of seems like you need someone to look at your playing; analyse what you are actually doing both physically and where your level of comprehension is at present; and help you to find learning strategies that are going to work for you. And then let you loose!!!

I did a number of those sessions with folks when I was teaching mountain dulcimer at music festivals or dulcimer meets. The student would come to me and say something along the lines of "I think that I have a learning problem but I don't know what it is" (or they think they know what it is but are probably looking in the wrong place). And over a couple of hours they would use me as a sounding board to watch them play and I would question them to identify any blockers to their present learning and we would come up with strategies for moving forward. Those strategies may include things like "You should take lessons with so-and-so" or "This online teaching package may suit you" or "I'm going to send you some music to listen to" etc, etc, - everyone was different. But just getting that spark of enlightenment was often enough to help folks help themselves.

No one is going to teach you how to play guitar - you have to learn yourself. But someone may be able to aid you by steering you away from the rocks and giving you a map to the next port.

Edit: Just a word about weekly lessons. I wouldn't take weekly lessons until you have a solid goal in mind. Personally, I would only take weekly lessons now if I placed myself as an apprentice sitting at the feet of a master. In which case, I would be fully motivated to make the most of that opportunity.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Last edited by Robin, Wales; 08-17-2022 at 03:26 AM.
Old 08-17-2022, 05:52 AM

I gave guitar lessons for a couple of years when I was in High School. My guitar teacher would refer me to her students that she was having trouble connecting with. Sometimes a "younger" out look clicked with some folks.

Today I don't teach unless a family member ask for help. I am happy to do it, gives me someone else to get an instrument out for.

Private lessons in our area are for 30 minutes once a week or 60 minutes every other week. Not sure what the cost is.

I will always suggest private lessons because the one on one is invaluable starting out. I also tell folks that you don't have to take lessons for years unless you want to. But do stick with it long enough to get through the first book.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 08-17-2022, 07:45 AM

I'm also a beginner (not quite 2 years in and I started older... age 58).

I began teaching myself with Guitar Tricks. It's only $99/year and has a very well laid out methodology, which is what I need. I appreciate all of the free stuff, but I didn't want to waste time jumping around. Guitar Tricks has a pathway for learning which is excellent. I definitely need the structure.

About 8 months in, I knew it was time to have in-person lessons. I found a great teacher and I now take lessons every other week. One hour long and he comes to my house. I LOVE my teacher, my lessons, and feel I'm making good progress.

I am very self directed and love to practice, so I don't need a lesson every week to help me be "accountable." The extra week gives me plenty of time to enjoy the process and not feel stressed about having to conquer something new. It also allows me time to go on a side tangent on my own if I see something interesting to learn on YouTube, etc.

I think that as I become more proficient, that perhaps I will consider moving to weekly lessons, because once the actual mechanics of playing become easier, I will be able to digest more material more quickly.

Cheers and hope you find a way that works for you.
Emerald X30 Woody
Traveler EG-1 Custom

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion