The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-13-2022, 11:45 AM

Recently picked up a used Fuller’s 1939 J-35 reissue and it’s one of the best Gibsons I’ve owned or played. Was thinking about going for a Kopp, Walker or Fairbanks slope but decided to take a gamble on the Fuller’s and couldn’t be happier.
As a bonus The cost of these used Fullers 1939 reissues is ridiculously good compared to many newer Gibson slopes
Old 08-14-2022, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireside_Guitar View Post
Recently picked up a used Fuller’s 1939 J-35 reissue and it’s one of the best Gibsons I’ve owned or played. Was thinking about going for a Kopp, Walker or Fairbanks slope but decided to take a gamble on the Fuller’s and couldn’t be happier.
As a bonus The cost of these used Fullers 1939 reissues is ridiculously good compared to many newer Gibson slopes
I’ve never played a Fuller’s, but I thought I read at one point that they have a wide neck and wide nut width. I thought 1.78” or something to that effect. What’s your take?
Old 08-14-2022, 09:26 AM

I was hunting my perfect j45 with the same cirteria as yours.

Had two TV’s , 2014 not quite but very nasal & 2012 bassy but quite
A 2018 Southern Jumbo, good bass balanced but not very resonant and responsive

I was lucky to come across locally here in paris to a 2016 vintage j45 which is very responsive, lighter and (through the torrified table I guess) very warm with good bass. Volume is great maybe a tiny bit lower compared to my AJ

I highly recommend the j45 vintage
Fender Jazzmaster
Ibanez PS-10BK Paul Stanley
Takamine en-30c

Last edited by paul300; 08-14-2022 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Wrong date
Old 08-14-2022, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

About 15 years ago I bought a 58 D-28 from a gentleman who has a small music store in a farm town near here. He had a Gibson AJ reissue that rivaled my D-28 for bass. I wished I had bought it, loved the neck and the tone, as well as the looks.
In 2020 I played a Kopp J-45 at Elderly Instruments - amazing.
70 Yamaha FG-110
69 Ryoji Matsuoka no.20 (classical)
21 Marlon Navarro Studio (classical)
22 Martin 000-28EC
2019 Martin Style 28 Herringbone Adi
' 50s Magnatone Lap Steel
'60s Decca DSP (Dept. Store Parlor)
Late 30's Favilla Soprano Uke
Electrics and more electrics
Old 08-14-2022, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM3MD View Post
I’ve never played a Fuller’s, but I thought I read at one point that they have a wide neck and wide nut width. I thought 1.78” or something to that effect. What’s your take?
I believe the neck might be what Gibson calls the luthier choice neck. I can’t measure as guitar is in shop for setup and p/u install. I have the older model with ebony fret board and bridge which is most likely different than the later models. If you shoot Fullers an email about them they probably could give specifics.
I personally like the neck, nut width and string spacing but it might not work for you.
One thing for sure is the copy I have fits the warm and bassy sound. It does have almost 20 years of playing in time though.
Old 08-14-2022, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul300 View Post
I was hunting my perfect j45 with the same cirteria as yours.

Had two TV’s , 2014 not quite but very nasal & 2012 bassy but quite
A 2018 Southern Jumbo, good bass balanced but not very resonant and responsive

I was lucky to come across locally here in paris to a 2016 vintage j45 which is very responsive, lighter and (through the torrified table I guess) very warm with good bass. Volume is great maybe a tiny bit lower compared to my AJ

I highly recommend the j45 vintage
This is great news... I really like what I hear about the vintages... I was worried it may be too close to a TV as some people have been saying they are not really in that realm. How's the neck on yours for small hands?
Old 08-15-2022, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Riley View Post
This is great news... I really like what I hear about the vintages... I was worried it may be too close to a TV as some people have been saying they are not really in that realm. How's the neck on yours for small hands?
Il not really a neck expert .. definitely not thick, I would say maybe a tiny bit more v-profile still pretty thin. I prefer it compared to the TV
Fender Jazzmaster
Ibanez PS-10BK Paul Stanley
Takamine en-30c
Old 08-15-2022, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Great to know thanks... Do you know how the vintage condos to the true vintage?
I don't, I'm sorry. For me personally, I would love to own a TV again or some other vintage voiced reissue but I don't think I'd want to give up my modern standard for it. When it comes to tone qualities, when I think of bass response I think of Martin, and especially Rosewood b/s. As far a J-45 is concerned, a good one is characterized by the quick decay and the legendary thump. Everyone wants to hear something different for sure but that is what my ear likes so I don't try to make one maker do something the other can do better (for me).
Old 08-15-2022, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popeoftx View Post
I don't, I'm sorry. For me personally, I would love to own a TV again or some other vintage voiced reissue but I don't think I'd want to give up my modern standard for it. When it comes to tone qualities, when I think of bass response I think of Martin, and especially Rosewood b/s. As far a J-45 is concerned, a good one is characterized by the quick decay and the legendary thump. Everyone wants to hear something different for sure but that is what my ear likes so I don't try to make one maker do something the other can do better (for me).
For sure... agreed :-) And sorry for the "condos" type... stupid phone - thanks for understanding it should be "compares" lol.

Yea I have an HD-35, custom M-36 and a custom D-18 so I get the whole Martin bass thing :-)

I do love the j-45 tho - honestly part of it is that my standard just sounded a bit anemic next to the martins, and that's maybe a poor reason and I get that Martins will be bigger no doubt, but where my context is... I love the looks, playability, earthy, woody, short scale tone of the j-45 - but want a bit more umph as I play with guys who play martins a lot. I also am maybe counter intuitive with my desire for a "big" j-45... I know what people stereotypically prefer with the short decay etc... If I play two guitars side by side, I will tend to pick the more resonant, bassy, longer sustaining one. Hence trying to deduce what models may get me in the ballpark since it's tough to find examples of vintage or TVs I can play.

Edit to add: I've got an offer for sub 3k for a 2019 vintage custom shop... which is the torefied adi version (called gibson to verify)... this seems reasonable from what I've been seeing/watching... minimal loss if it's not for me so I may just give it a shot and see how I like it...

Last edited by Dean Riley; 08-15-2022 at 09:23 AM.
Old 08-15-2022, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul300 View Post
Il not really a neck expert .. definitely not thick, I would say maybe a tiny bit more v-profile still pretty thin. I prefer it compared to the TV
Awesome thanks!
Old 08-15-2022, 10:18 AM

Quote:
For sure... agreed :-) And sorry for the "condos" type... stupid phone - thanks for understanding it should be "compares" lol.

Yea I have an HD-35, custom M-36 and a custom D-18 so I get the whole Martin bass thing :-)

I do love the j-45 tho - honestly part of it is that my standard just sounded a bit anemic next to the martins, and that's maybe a poor reason and I get that Martins will be bigger no doubt, but where my context is... I love the looks, playability, earthy, woody, short scale tone of the j-45 - but want a bit more umph as I play with guys who play martins a lot. I also am maybe counter intuitive with my desire for a "big" j-45... I know what people stereotypically prefer with the short decay etc... If I play two guitars side by side, I will tend to pick the more resonant, bassy, longer sustaining one. Hence trying to deduce what models may get me in the ballpark since it's tough to find examples of vintage or TVs I can play.

Edit to add: I've got an offer for sub 3k for a 2019 vintage custom shop... which is the torefied adi version (called gibson to verify)... this seems reasonable from what I've been seeing/watching... minimal loss if it's not for me so I may just give it a shot and see how I like it...
Sounds like an awesome guitar, especially in addition to what you already have. I bet it will be louder than my standard but I bet it will sound brighter too. I never notice my standard J-45 being quieter until I get into a larger space by myself or I'm playing with someone else who has an obviously louder guitar. Still wouldn't trade it for many others.
Old 08-15-2022, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireside_Guitar View Post
I believe the neck might be what Gibson calls the luthier choice neck. I can’t measure as guitar is in shop for setup and p/u install. I have the older model with ebony fret board and bridge which is most likely different than the later models. If you shoot Fullers an email about them they probably could give specifics.
I personally like the neck, nut width and string spacing but it might not work for you.
One thing for sure is the copy I have fits the warm and bassy sound. It does have almost 20 years of playing in time though.
The Fuller's J35 does indeed have a Luthier's Choice neck with a 1.78" nut. The only wider nut I have seen on a Bozeman-made guitar clocked in at 1.81". The depth of the Luthier's Choice necks though do not appear to be what I would describe as all that generous. The necks I have seen measured came it at between .84" and .88" at the 1st fret without a whole lot of taper up to the 9th fret. So not as beefy as a typical 1950s J45 but a whole lot more meat on the bone than those dating to the 1960s. String spacing at the bridge was Bozeman's standard 2 3/16" which fingerpickers in particular might (or might not) find a bit skimpy.

The thing I will never get about the J35 is Bozman's decision to not build them with three un-scalloped tone bars. The only Gibsons I can think of which had this feature were the 1936-1939 J35s and the Jumbos. Gave the J35 a unique voice though.

Last edited by zombywoof; 08-15-2022 at 11:38 AM.
Old 08-17-2022, 01:20 AM

Quote:
So help me in my quest... first off, I do know with Gibson that trying each guitar is the way to go... I have tried multiple standards and owned one, sold it, miss it, and want to get back into the J-45 game :-)

I want a J-45 that had good volume, good bass, is warm, and preferably not a huge neck... where would you look/what models?

Had been leaning towards a Vintage (2012-2019), possibly a TV but had read those can be quiet... Custom Rosewood?

Thoughts?

I currently have 3 Martins, a HD-35, a Custom shop D-18 and a custom shop M-36 in Mahogany. All 3 are loud (hence why looking for a loud j-45 is appealing so it's not as big of a shock when I switch) I am probably going to move the D-18 as the custom shop M-36 pretty much does all the same things and is comfier for me to play as it's a SS... I love D-18s but really miss the J-45 tone too.

Thanks!
I have a 2014 J-45 custom rosewood and it is an amazing guitar. The short scale with the rosewood does something special. I highly recommend you try one if you can. It’s punchy with that Gibson thud while the rosewood adds some extra sizzle and overtones.
1976 Martin 000-18
1989 Martin 000-16M
2015 Martin 00-DB Jeff Tweedy
2012 Gibson J-45 Custom
2017 Gibson J-35
1971 Alvarez K. Yairi Classical
1970 Lou J Mancuso nylon string hybrid
Harmony Sovereign H1260
30's MayBell Model 6
Nash MW-500
1998 Yamaha LS-10
2003 Tacoma EKK9
Old 08-17-2022, 06:44 AM

I tried my luck with several vintage Gibsons in the past years seeking the exact features you described. Had a 1939 J35, a 1943 J45 mahogany top and a 1948 J50. All great guitars, but not for me unfortunately.
Found the whole package in a Kevin Kopp K35, purchased from a nice fellow here on AGF. My search is over.

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 08-17-2022, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman68 View Post
I tried my luck with several vintage Gibsons in the past years seeking the exact features you described. Had a 1939 J35, a 1943 J45 mahogany top and a 1948 J50. All great guitars, but not for me unfortunately.
Found the whole package in a Kevin Kopp K35, purchased from a nice fellow here on AGF. My search is over.
I think you are the second or third to mention Kopp K35s... very intriguing - I'm gonna have to start down that rabbit trail and do some more research. Have you compared to like a bourgeois slope D or similar as well? I'm wondering if it's in the same J-45 vein or if it's a totally different feel/sound?

Thanks!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion