The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-11-2022, 12:07 PM

Default LR Baggs Venue alternatives?

Hey there. I've played a few acoustic gigs recently and although quite pleased with my overall sound, I've missed a few of the 'mod cons' I'm used to in my full band. For example a decent tuner as opposed to the clip-on (petty, I know) and most importantly a boost of some kind to lift the solos a little. So I am quite intrigued by the LR Baggs Venue. It has both of those and runs off 9V too which is a pleasing bonus. The next one down, the Session, seems a similar price without those features. I think I'll treat myself to the Venue, but it's pricey for sure. Are there any other preamps with a few of those features - tuner, boost and ideally running off 9V? Thanks!
Old 08-12-2022, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

The Venue is a decent multiband EQ preamp/DI and is a fine preamp to shape your guitar's tone under a variety of performance situations. I've owned a Venue and I liked it.

The Session is more of a subtle tone shaper that through its multiband Compressor is designed to help control some of the problem frequencies that acoustic guitar amplification introduces in a signal that can make it sound harsh. It's a touch-sensitive circuit in that the harder you play, the more it works to control these problem frequencies. The Session also has a Saturation control that is designed to help enrich the guitar's signal with variable harmonic overdrive saturation. I have a Session DI and like what it does when I use it. When used properly, the Session DI is a subtle tonal modifier that isn't an effects pedal with all kinds of neat noises to wow you.

The Venue is what you'd buy first because it is likely to be an essential part of your signal chain. The Session DI is what you may buy next to add a little sparkle or warmth to your tone, and it would follow the Venue in a signal chain.

There are many less expensive half-price alternatives to the LR Baggs Venue but these alternatives may or may not sound as good when used with acoustic guitars.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 08-12-2022 at 12:49 PM.
Old 08-12-2022, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerhart View Post
Hey there. I've played a few acoustic gigs recently and although quite pleased with my overall sound, I've missed a few of the 'mod cons' I'm used to in my full band. For example a decent tuner as opposed to the clip-on (petty, I know) and most importantly a boost of some kind to lift the solos a little. So I am quite intrigued by the LR Baggs Venue. It has both of those and runs off 9V too which is a pleasing bonus. The next one down, the Session, seems a similar price without those features. I think I'll treat myself to the Venue, but it's pricey for sure. Are there any other preamps with a few of those features - tuner, boost and ideally running off 9V? Thanks!
The Session really won't give you the same tonal shaping options as the Venue as it's more of an effect. With that said, built in tuners are always garbage IMO. The one on my Aura Spectrum DI is pretty bad and I have heard similar complaints about the Venue. My fiddle player uses the Venue and the tuner can be a bit quirky, although she seems to make it work.

Radial and Grace Design also make nice Preamp/DI's with boosts and tuner outs. You could get a Polytune mini, put it in the tuner out and you will have far better tuning accuracy. I have the Grace Design Felixe and do just that. Never have issues tuning. Although to be honest, I find I tune more using the clip on tuners.
Old 08-12-2022, 05:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerhart View Post
Hi spencer hart
The Fishman Platinum Pro. Like a Venue with effects, and a bit more elaborate (and in the same price category). It has compression, adjustable boost, etc.

To be honest, the tuners in all of them are sub-standard compared to clip ons. If you want to reduce the 'look' of the clip ons, start clipping them so they stick beneath the headstock instead of on top of it.

I don't like floor tuners (even good ones). The audience it OUT there not DOWN there. If you are leading or conversing with audiences, where you look says a lot.

I like both the Venue and Platinum Pro. They are built tough and have all the necessary controls for decent mixing.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-12-2022, 05:54 PM

I’m a fan of the fishman platinum pro eq.

Its a great preamp with lots of flexibility. The compressor is good and simple. Enough flexibility in the eq for tone shaping and feedback control. Tuner is adequate. Solid build and smallish package.

I am, however, considering moving to a pre amp with IR. Or perhaps supplementing it with a separate IR pedal.

YouTube: "Bluegum Counterpoint"
https://youtube.com/channel/UCbPhfbyWD5qNUT8ehnkoNlg

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification