The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-08-2022, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
You should be fine then. Mics and guitars in 1-4, and the Beat Buddy into 5.

If either of the guitars has a passive pickup (no battery), plug it into the hi-Z input on channel 4. Otherwise it doesn’t matter. It should work great!
Thank you! You are one of the most helpful people on this forum!
Old 08-08-2022, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

Update—my 50M worked like a champ for the band—just running the two vocal mics. This was a dance at an old town hall built in 1913 I believe. We didn’t play very loud, and the vocals were clear and could be heard by all of the band members, as well as filling the room. Didn’t even get the monitor out of the car. Here’s a clip (hopefully the link will work):
https://www.facebook.com/10000020997...SAzp74UPrn2ql/

Last edited by Stringmaster; 08-08-2022 at 08:16 AM.
Old 08-08-2022, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringmaster View Post
Update—my 50M worked like a champ for the band—just running the two vocal mics. This was a dance at an old town hall built in 1913 I believe. We didn’t play very loud, and the vocals were clear and could be heard by all of the band members, as well as filling the room. Didn’t even get the monitor out of the car. Here’s a clip (hopefully the link will work):
https://www.facebook.com/10000020997...SAzp74UPrn2ql/
Very cool. Speakers and band.
Old 08-08-2022, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post
Very cool. Speakers and band.
Thanks! Appreciate it!
Old 08-11-2022, 04:08 AM
Charter Member

Played the first of two outdoor farmers markets yesterday. It was threatening rain so we needed to keep the EV30M inside and to the rear of the small, provided tent with us which was problematic since we needed to turn up the volume so those in attendance could hear. It was a bit loud for us (although not uncomfortably loud) but it could have been louder still for the folks in attendance. Although it was a small farmers market it was in a small triangular parking lot with a busy road on one side. But those in the stalls said everything sounded great and we got a lot of compliments, a few tips and some free produce and bread!

I think if we could have had the EV30M placed out front or even with the front of the tent they would have heard even better and we could have turned up even more without blasting our ears. So it goes with playing outdoors. At least the 6-day heat wave broke the day of our gig. I would have hated to play outside in that hot weather. We just added another outdoor gig, a staff-appreciation party at one of our regular assisted living centers that sounds like it's going to be a hoot. Hoping for good weather so we can put the EV30M out front and crank it up! We might use a Bose S1 Pro as a monitor. I'll report back how that ends up going if the weather holds.

The EV30M is now being used for any and all gigs where power is available, which is most all of them.
Old 08-11-2022, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Played the first of two outdoor farmers markets yesterday. It was threatening rain so we needed to keep the EV30M inside and to the rear of the small, provided tent with us which was problematic since we needed to turn up the volume so those in attendance could hear. It was a bit loud for us (although not uncomfortably loud) but it could have been louder still for the folks in attendance. Although it was a small farmers market it was in a small triangular parking lot with a busy road on one side. But those in the stalls said everything sounded great and we got a lot of compliments, a few tips and some free produce and bread!

I think if we could have had the EV30M placed out front or even with the front of the tent they would have heard even better and we could have turned up even more without blasting our ears. So it goes with playing outdoors. At least the 6-day heat wave broke the day of our gig. I would have hated to play outside in that hot weather. We just added another outdoor gig, a staff-appreciation party at one of our regular assisted living centers that sounds like it's going to be a hoot. Hoping for good weather so we can put the EV30M out front and crank it up! We might use a Bose S1 Pro as a monitor. I'll report back how that ends up going if the weather holds.

The EV30M is now being used for any and all gigs where power is available, which is most all of them.
What about using a second satellite speaker closer to the crowd and you could always put an umbrella on a pole over it? Or put the 30M more where you normally would and use a small monitor so you could hear yourselves?
Old 08-11-2022, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
What about using a second satellite speaker closer to the crowd and you could always put an umbrella on a pole over it? Or put the 30M more where you normally would and use a small monitor so you could hear yourselves?
Me, I wouldn't trust an umbrella, even a relatively large beach umbrella, to protect an outboard speaker--but that's just me and it might work for others.

One thing this latest account reminded me to do was to order the short-column extension. Last time due to threatened rain, I had to bring my 30m inside the tent and I did find that a bit jarring, and I think partly because the top part of the array was somewhat higher than the lowest part of the tent. I remember wanting the short column to minimize that--in theory!
Old 08-11-2022, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
Me, I wouldn't trust an umbrella, even a relatively large beach umbrella, to protect an outboard speaker--but that's just me and it might work for others.

One thing this latest account reminded me to do was to order the short-column extension. Last time due to threatened rain, I had to bring my 30m inside the tent and I did find that a bit jarring, and I think partly because the top part of the array was somewhat higher than the lowest part of the tent. I remember wanting the short column to minimize that--in theory!
They tell you in the manual not to move the unit while all the pieces are attached. Always disassemble it first to avoid damaging the connection points.

I have a large portable umbrella that I sometimes play under if outside and the weather's iffy and there's no cover. It works well. But you could always just have some plastic trash bags at the ready and quickly cover a speaker should you feel any drops of rain.
Old 08-11-2022, 10:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
...But you could always just have some plastic trash bags at the ready and quickly cover a speaker should you feel any drops of rain.

This is a ridiculously simple backup plan that I somehow keep forgetting to add to my kit.
Old 08-11-2022, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
This is a ridiculously simple backup plan that I somehow keep forgetting to add to my kit.
It's a good one.

However, do remember to switch off any powered speaker you put a bin bag over.
Old 08-12-2022, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

We played another outdoor show yesterday that ended up being louder than the farmer's market. This time I had the speaker column about even with me and only maybe two feet to my left and the sound was great. We could both hear it well enough (although we did lose a little of the highs/clarity) without blowing out our ears. We've another outdoor show today that we'll use it at if we have power. Otherwise we'll employ the EAE D6-58 which always rides shotgun in the trunk as a backup. I'll report back if I encounter any issues but at this rate I'm finding that the EV30M is pretty much the perfect system for us for any and all gigs.
Old 08-12-2022, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

So, shortly after posting the above, our phone rang with an ALF wondering if we could do an outdoor show for them today. We were available so agreed. It was another sunny, warm, 80 degree day with dry air and a light breezy - perfect weather for an outdoor show!

We were playing just up the road from the farmer's market the day before on the exact same busy road, even closer to the road, so lots of traffic noise. We set up the EV30M and this time we had the activities director to give us feedback on how loud to be.

We started at the volume from the previous days show and she shook her head and pointed up. So up I went. A LOT. She smiled and nodded and we played at the loudest volume to date. It was fantastic. I really think we've been under playing recently at just about every place.

This thing sounds fantastic. From here on out I'm going to shoot for louder and let them tell me to turn down. We got so many compliments on the sound from staff, residents, the hospital staff next door that were out on their lunch and even people walking by on the sidewalk.
Old 08-12-2022, 12:50 PM

I’m doing a 70s themed party this afternoon (August 12, 2022). The sound at sound check was just so amazingly good! Perfect really!
Old 08-12-2022, 05:23 PM

Quote:
I’m doing a 70s themed party this afternoon (August 12, 2022). The sound at sound check was just so amazingly good! Perfect really!

Well, that event happened and it wasn’t perfect. The Bluetooth audio absolutely refused to work. It worked fine when I set it up, and when I got home, but it absolutely didn’t work at the event.

The other thing was that people were talking and I had to get loud in order to hear myself…maybe a little too loud for some people. I should have used one of the Bose S1s as a monitor.
Old 08-12-2022, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well, that event happened and it wasn’t perfect. The Bluetooth audio absolutely refused to work. It worked fine when I set it up, and when I got home, but it absolutely didn’t work at the event.

The other thing was that people were talking and I had to get loud in order to hear myself…maybe a little too loud for some people. I should have used one of the Bose S1s as a monitor.
I use a lightning to RCA cable to run music during breaks—to me it’s just as easy as connecting Bluetooth. Weird that it didn’t work for you on the gig.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification