The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-19-2020, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
for any owners, whats the weight of these? if they are in the 4 lb range, that would be very nice.

I would think we will see more versions of this body shape/style in the future. I think its a very forward positive step for Martin.

d

The weight is very light. It is definitely under 5 lbs. probably closer to the lower end of 4 lbs. It is the lightest guitar I own, or ever owned.

Versions of this guitar in other series? During my conversation with Martin Co. , I expressed to them that I am all in on a 41,42, or 45 version with solid rosewood. I also mentioned a limited run with an old school stauffer headstock. The Martin fella liked my ideas and said the guitar was well received, so I have to wait to see what happens.
Old 06-19-2020, 12:09 PM

deleted duplicate post.
Old 06-19-2020, 02:50 PM

Interesting thread. Seems to be a lot of interest in what is arguably one of the most radically different models Martin has produced in some time.

Is it limited to the "ready to gig" niche, or is it more significant than that?
Old 06-20-2020, 11:31 AM

You could see the above review and comments. Mine were that I like the concept and specs but the sound was sub par.
Old 06-20-2020, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

Good to hear from folks to have played it.

I would also add that the pickup system in the Martin is as good or better than the Taylor ES2, at least in my initial impression

I read somewhere on this forum that the MX-T is a Sonitone plus a tuner. If so, I consider the Sonitone on my Martin GPRS1 to be a dog, the only bad thing about that (all-tonewood, $699-when-I-got-it) guitar. But we all have different ears, and the OP indicated this was less important to him.
Old 06-25-2020, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesaHut View Post
I am almost ready to pull the trigger on this guitar; I'm not in a position to go and play it, well there are not many in Australia ATM and I am a very long way from any GC that has one.

1. From a playability point of view, I think this guitar might for me.

2. The sound, many mixed reviews about the sound, especially plugged in. I am not overly concerned about the sound when plugged in. Unplugged, very much so.

3. The guitar is laminated back and sides. Many have complained it ought to be all solid wood. ( Solid Mahogany and Koa Fine Veneer.)

Negative comments about this guitar are always from those who have listened to the guitar played on YouTube. Owners speak highly about how these instruments sound. That being said, it's not a D-28

I have spent hours reading and listening to commentary about this instrument.

It is at the end of the day, a Martin, the amount of research and ingenuity poured into this instrument is impressive.

Is there anyone here interested in this guitar and would care to offer up their assessment of it?

Overview
https://www.martinguitar.com/new-sc-...ectric-guitar/

Specs
https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars...series/sc-13e/

Review
http://onemanz.com/guitar/reviews/ac...martin/sc-13e/

Pete
It has just arrived from Mexico to Adelaide Australia, from there halfway across the country and is now the carton is standing in my living room!

Now the obligatory 24 hours to acclimatize before opening. Only 23 hours and 45 minutes to wait.................

"Never take a fool with you when you go, because you can always pick one up when you get there"! Billy Connolly.
Old 06-26-2020, 04:29 AM
Charter Member

Great - enjoy it. I landed one last week and I like it a lot. Interested to hear your thoughts.

I'm going to change it the strings (11s) for retro 12s.
Lowden S32J
Guild F-512e (Spruce/Rosewood)
Old 06-26-2020, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coler View Post
Great - enjoy it. I landed one last week and I like it a lot. Interested to hear your thoughts.

I'm going to change it the strings (11s) for retro 12s.
I will let you know as soon as I get a chance to evaluate it for sure.

You have said that you enjoy it, has it met your expectations?

"Never take a fool with you when you go, because you can always pick one up when you get there"! Billy Connolly.
Old 06-26-2020, 07:04 AM
Charter Member

It has. Very much so. Excellent quality, well made instrument. Still finding things out about it. I really do want to put 12s on it but the 11s are nice, dont get me wrong.

I think they may have loaded it with 11s to give that light electro feel, for bends etc. It is a little "too sweet" for my taste. I think 12s will enhance the growl (which it does have).

The acoustic tone, which is very important to me, is really good. Something that stands out is how balanced it is across the strings. Much more so than my 000-28. However I really need to try the 12s on it for a proper assessment.
Lowden S32J

Last edited by Coler; 06-26-2020 at 09:59 AM.
Old 06-26-2020, 06:33 PM

Quote:
It has. Very much so. Excellent quality, well made instrument. Still finding things out about it. I really do want to put 12s on it but the 11s are nice, dont get me wrong.

I think they may have loaded it with 11s to give that light electro feel, for bends etc. It is a little "too sweet" for my taste. I think 12s will enhance the growl (which it does have).

The acoustic tone, which is very important to me, is really good. Something that stands out is how balanced it is across the strings. Much more so than my 000-28. However I really need to try the 12s on it for a proper assessment.
Are you saying it competes with your 000-28? I really want to like it, I mostly play unplugged. So, it’s gotta have a voice I want to hear non amplified. Does it have a pleasant voice unplugged? My 000-18 is hoping I hate it.
Old 06-27-2020, 12:07 AM

Quote:
I am almost ready to pull the trigger on this guitar; I'm not in a position to go and play it, well there are not many in Australia ATM and I am a very long way from any GC that has one.

1. From a playability point of view, I think this guitar might for me.

2. The sound, many mixed reviews about the sound, especially plugged in. I am not overly concerned about the sound when plugged in. Unplugged, very much so.

3. The guitar is laminated back and sides. Many have complained it ought to be all solid wood. ( Solid Mahogany and Koa Fine Veneer.)

Negative comments about this guitar are always from those who have listened to the guitar played on YouTube. Owners speak highly about how these instruments sound. That being said, it's not a D-28

I have spent hours reading and listening to commentary about this instrument.

It is at the end of the day, a Martin, the amount of research and ingenuity poured into this instrument is impressive.

Is there anyone here interested in this guitar and would care to offer up their assessment of it?

Overview
https://www.martinguitar.com/new-sc-...ectric-guitar/

Specs
https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars...series/sc-13e/

Review
http://onemanz.com/guitar/reviews/ac...martin/sc-13e/

Pete
Well, I have the guitar unpacked. One concern that has taken me by surprise is the shaded area on the fretboard? Is that normal, it appears to be?

If its a feature I have seen no mention of it anywhere.

https://imgur.com/a/JCKj4Md

Old 06-27-2020, 02:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhead View Post
Are you saying it competes with your 000-28? I really want to like it, I mostly play unplugged. So, it’s gotta have a voice I want to hear non amplified. Does it have a pleasant voice unplugged? My 000-18 is hoping I hate it.

Nah it doesn't compete with the 28 as such. It's a different tone, it's very nice, but objectively the tone of the 28 is better.

My comment was intended to describe how balanced across the strings is on the 13 is, which I think is one of the design objectives for the body shape. I suspect it will be an easy guitar to record and amplify.

On my 28 I would describe the tone as more complicated in this regard.

The 13 is very good and the tone certainly does not under perform against its price point. The tone seems different to my dread and 000 in its makeup but that has its advantages. It still contains the growl I look for in a guitar.

I'm very happy with mine.

Edit: I'll have to revisit this post. I put a retro 12s on the 13 last night and just played it 5 minutes ago, and it now sounds even better. Noticeable all round improvement but esoecially in the bass. Still not going to claim it's a match for the 28 but 12s are the way to go in terms of strings, for me at least.
Lowden S32J

Last edited by Coler; 06-27-2020 at 03:14 AM.
Old 06-27-2020, 02:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well, I have the guitar unpacked. One concern that has taken me by surprise is the shaded area on the fretboard? Is that normal, it appears to be?

If its a feature I have seen no mention of it anywhere.

https://imgur.com/a/JCKj4Md
Havn't seen that on any pics. Mine is just a regular looking finish.

You've got a bit of extra "character" there. That wouldn't bother me (in fact I'd probably be drawn to it lol) but I really, really don't care about that kind of thing.

How are you finding the guitar otherwise?
Lowden S32J
Old 06-27-2020, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Havn't seen that before. You've got a bit of extra "character" there. That wouldn't bother me (in fact I'd probably be drawn to it lol) but I really, really don't care about that kind of thing.

How are you finding the guitar otherwise?
I don't think I care for the shading, it looks like it suffered water damage or something. I have emailed Martin expressing my concern along with a photo.

Otherwise. it's only been a few hours since I unpacked it, but I love it so far.

Old 06-27-2020, 03:28 AM
Charter Member

Good call - that is, contacting Martin. I hadn't considered that it might in fact be damage. It does look cosmetic in the pic but better to check it out.

I put 12s on mine as per the above. Liked them immediately. Woke up this morning to an even better sounding guita after they bedded in. . I would say that now, to my ears, the tone alone would grab me.
Lowden S32J

Last edited by Coler; 06-27-2020 at 03:34 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion