The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-17-2016, 12:50 PM

I'm going to be buying my father a set to put on his Taylor BRVIII. I believe he currently plays 13's tuned down a full step. If this what he plays I'll buy him the heavy tension if he plays 12's which he thinks he does...medium. Is the tuning down a problem?

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole- Les Paul.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:13 PM

Back in the day I used "Nashville Straights" that were not rolled up but as the name implies were sold straight in a cardboard box. In those days rolling up the strings was considered most detrimental to good tone, but convenience of carrying spare strings in a small package eventually won over sound quality considerations and they disappeared.
Old 11-07-2016, 04:00 AM

Default straight up strings

I've just fitted a set of 13-56 (heavy) phosphor bronze to my 1956 Martin D21 and it has transformed the sound of this guitar, which I was about to sell because I wasn't getting what I wanted from it. The tension is perfect and the tone and balance is extraordinary. Previously I've always used Elixirs, partly because I'm lazy about changing strings too often! I'd advise anyone looking for a big balanced sound with a more comfortable tension than normal 13-56's to try them.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

just put some heavys on my Osthoff and my Kostal. These strings are overtone crazy I feel like there is a natural reverb/delay with this strings. I like them a lot! Highly recommended

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D
Old 10-05-2017, 04:49 AM

I'd be interested in trying a set against my usual Elixir Nanoweb 80-20 lights, but sadly they don't seem to be available in Britain.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
I'd be interested in trying a set against my usual Elixir Nanoweb 80-20 lights, but sadly they don't seem to be available in Britain.
I believe you could acquire them from their website.

https://straightupstrings.com/

Caution: The overtones can cause feedback issues when using amplification and I'm serious.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 10-05-2017, 08:33 AM

How does a person go about obtaining these strings? Are they in stores? Or do you have to order them from the website? Im located in East Tennessee in Sevierville. If anyone knows where to grab a set around here Id really appreciate it.
Takamine EGS330SCE
Old 10-05-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dut4907 View Post
How does a person go about obtaining these strings? Are they in stores? Or do you have to order them from the website? Im located in East Tennessee in Sevierville. If anyone knows where to grab a set around here Id really appreciate it.
You order them online.

http://siminoff.net/straight-up-strings/
Old 10-05-2017, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dut4907 View Post
As was previously posted...online and howdy. We've been to your wonderful little town, beautiful part of the country!

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 10-05-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcsong View Post
just put some heavys on my Osthoff and my Kostal. These strings are overtone crazy I feel like there is a natural reverb/delay with this strings. I like them a lot! Highly recommended
Oh yeah. When you first put them on it's like you're playing a 12 string! But that bass projects like there's no tomorrow. And the sustain???!!!!

My Taylors like them SO much better than Elixirs. I now buy them in a 6 pack and they cost roughly $8/set plus $5 shipping. Almost half the price of Elixirs.

Please... Don't tell anybody. I don't want them to raise prices :0
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 10-05-2017, 09:30 AM

Resident authority on "Straight Up" strings ^^^^^^

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 10-05-2017, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

I recently tried some of the Santa Cruz strings on my J45 and really liked them.
It appears that these are the same strings that are available in additional gauges. I just ordered 3 sets from the website to try on some of my other guitars. I'll report back when I have a chance to play them a bit.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStotes View Post
I recently tried some of the Santa Cruz strings on my J45 and really liked them.
It appears that these are the same strings that are available in additional gauges
. I just ordered 3 sets from the website to try on some of my other guitars. I'll report back when I have a chance to play them a bit.
Yes... But Santa Cruz strings are $18 plus shipping while the SUS strings are about half that price. I also checked out their "extra gauges" and didn't see any. In fact, I only saw low tension and mid tension strings. Siminoff also offers a heavy tension (same as normal medium gauge). If Santa Cruz has information about the gauges of its different sets, I couldn't find it....

....HOWEVER, their specs could be different than SUS but the concept of the balanced tension wouldn't change. If anyone has any specific information of how Santa Cruz strings are different than SUS please post it. It would be good to know.

Right now SUS strings are one of the best kept secrets in the industry. Hopefully they'll sell enough to stay in business, but not enough to get cocky like Elixir has raising prices 50% over just a few years. [Frankly, I don't get any more longevity out of Elixirs than any other string set- YMMV].
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 10-05-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
If anyone has any specific information of how Santa Cruz strings are different than SUS please post it. It would be good to know.
One thing that may not be significant that is different is the ball ends. SCGC string ends are solid.

I suspect there may be additional coating on the SCGC strings. They describe it as a micro application, I've never had it peel like Elixers, and it is not at all slippery, almost gives a bit of extra "grip" for lack of a better word, for the right hand fingers. It seems to add longevity, and I like the way they feel.

Plus the tension is a bit different. SUS heavy overall tension is 167.5 lbs. to SCGC mid tension at 163.

Have been using SCGC strings and not tried SUS thus far, the people at SCGC have been so nice, and when I met Richard Hoover at SBAIC recently, he handed me another free set.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:50 AM

I have used both the SC and SUP strings and to me they sound identical. Just waiting to see if the SUP last as long. If they do they will replace the SC strings.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion